$7,000 water bill per quarter

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Iamnumber5, 29th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Iamnumber5

Iamnumber5 Well-Known Member

Received a message from PM informing me that my tenants have received a 7K water bill this quarter. PM has gone to the site and found that the leak is coming from boundary fence between the property and neighbour.
    PM has organized a plumber to fix the issue first thing tomorrow morning.
    I am wondering, since this is the first time such an issue has occurred for me.
    1. Who is liable for the bill
    2. If it is the landlord, would this be covered by insurance

2. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Generally would notify the water authority of the leak and the bill would be credited after they review it.

highlighter and Iamnumber5 like this.
  3. Whiteman

Whiteman Well-Known Member

I have had this issue, ring the water company and explain the situation together with your copy of the plumbers bill outlining the issue they fixed and photos may help. In my case if i recall correctly the water company waived the usage over above the standard billing amount. Mine wasn't anywhere near $7k though .... Good luck

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

It's still on your side of the meter so be friendly with the people in the phone!

Why is the neighbour using your water? ?

5. Iamnumber5

The neighbour is not using my water.
    My understanding is water pipe is running along the boundary fence. There is only a narrow gap between the house and fence and therefore any leakage is not noticeable.

Thanks for the advise. I will make sure they take some photos. I am wondering if in the case that water company does not want to waive it, who is liable for the bill?

6. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's the same here but years ago as a tenant I had a massive water leak on a property - the landlord got a huge bill. I called the water company and they waived the bill after fixing the issue.

If it is a leak I would expect the landlord to be liable, if the water company won't pay (because really they are probably liable). I would be surprised though if you can't get it waived.

7. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

If the company does not waive it I would say you are going to end up paying it. Good luck getting 7k out of tenants

8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Had a similar problem in my ex unit complex.

Our normal quarterly water usage was 900 pq, but crept up to 2K then 4K.

I noticed the water meter was always spinning like a bat out of hell, even at 2 am. I searched the grounds for any wet spot or unapproved swimming pool. None found. Bamboozled.

Anyways, plumber found hidden leak in one of the garages.

Plumber completed an official report which is sent to water authority for credit.

But we got ripped off coz we only got 3K back for 2 quarters. Didn't pursue the matter as I sold the joint.

Long story short....the water authority should give you credit otherwise take it to the ombuds.

Adele, The Y-man, Ted Varrick and 2 others like this.
  9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You are responsible for the maintenance of the property. If the problem was caused by a broken pipe, you will be liable. The tenant has done nothing wrong as they were not aware of any problem until they received the bill and obviously acted promptly.

As said, your best bet is to have the bulk of the bill waived if possible.
    Marg

bob shovel, Joynz and Iamnumber5 like this.
  10. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

This has happened to me in two properties and in both cases the Water company waived the bill

Iamnumber5 and Stoffo like this.
  11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

In NSW, as per @datto post
    If you can prove via plumbers repair bill, that there was a leak somewhere and not consumption, then you should be able to clain a "one off exemption/refund" due to the leak.......
    (Will require specific repair account from the repairing plumber stating the reasons behind the fault and repair, the water authority may wait until next quarter to ensure it was a one off)

Iamnumber5 and datto like this.
  12. Iamnumber5

Thank you all for sharing your experience.

Hopefully the water company will waive it.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

The owner, in this case, namely you.

How could it be the tenants fault ?

How could it be the water companies fault ? (it is your water pipe & someone must have ignored the water as it would have been pooling somewhere).

They will probably listen to you, as you were not aware and did not leave it purposely leaking.

14. bob shovel

yep, i misread. all good :)

15. jim1964

jim1964 1941

In South Australia they make it very clear.........for once. water.JPG

Iamnumber5 likes this.
  16. bob shovel

Get photos of the meter with the current reading, and a reading when work is complete. they can update the records and work out usage

Iamnumber5 likes this.
  17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Also got our mega bill refunded when a pipe got crushed by big cypress tree roots. We were wondering why our lawn down the slope was looking so lush.....

The Y-man

Iamnumber5 and Marg4000 like this.
  18. Sharyn C

Sharyn C Active Member

Has a similar situation recently.
    Water tank had a valve that when water dropped in the tank would switch to mains water and top up the tank. Valve failed and continually filling, tank full and excess running from the overflow pipe of the tank into the stormwater.
    Tenant gets first water bill $14,000
    Plumber sent the same day who took some time to locate the leak as its not visible and no sound of running water. Leak fixed same day.
    Water company was provided proof of the leak and report from plumber showing that no one would have been aware of the problem until the high bill arrived (would have thought the bill would have triggered something with the water company but no)
    They cut the bill in half so back to $7,000.
    Tenant has taken to ombudsman with no luck. Neither tenant or landlord want to pay the bill. If nothing agreed to soon the tenants option is to take it to VCAT.

Iamnumber5 likes this.
  19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

In Sydney Waters area, the plumber needs to complete the form and submit on your behalf.

Have done that a few times.

Iamnumber5 likes this.
  20. bob shovel

This should be on the landlord.
    This sounds like an equipment failure - being the pump. This is outside the councils responsibility imo. They provide the mains, serive line and meter and they do come to the party reimbursing with pipe leaks but this leak is due to the pump not being maintained.