600-700 Sqr Block. Areas to be Mindful if developing 1 or 2 at Rear??

Discussion in 'Development' started by kkkddd, 1st Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kkkddd

kkkddd New Member

Hi Guys

I am looking to purchase a 600-700 sqr block with a house at the front and then subdivide and build 1 or 2 townhouses or units at the rear.

What do you need to mindful of with a project likes this.

Ie. permits, building it, costs, pitfalls to avoid...

Any thoughts.

Cheers

2. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Zoning - how much private open space is required per dwelling. This will dictate what you can put on it.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Required setbacks from street.

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2017
  4. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

There are a few of them actually ....

5. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Potentially many pitfalls related to planning controls. If you have a property in mind that you are keen on then I would suggest as part of your due diligence to get a town planner to have a quick look at it. May save you lots of headaches in the future.

I have had clients come to me after purchase thinking they could do this or that because the real estate agent said it would be OK but those statements by the agent proved not to be true.

Tufan Chakir and jim1964 like this.
  6. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I have a property i bought,did all the zoning DD,met with the council planner to agree what could be put on the rear sub divided block,in my case a duplex on 500sm.Purchased block,subdivided into a hammerhead,received own Torrens Title.When i went to sell the land,the whole advertising was centered around a duplex build,the purchaser in the cooling off stage took his plans to council,met with the same planner, who informed him no duplexes would be allowed to be built,only a freestanding home.Never TRUST word of mouth.

Anthony416 and Tufan Chakir like this.
  7. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately verbal advice from council planners is dubious and even written advice is not binding. For example, written notes produced by council as a result of a pre-lodgement meeting are a guide and will give some comfort that the DA will proceed but are not binding on council (at least this has been the case in my dealings with NSW councils).

Often the duty planner at council you get to talk to at the counter is inexperienced and prone to giving out misleading information. Even in pre-lodge meetings in some councils there can be two tiers and two payment scales. Senior planners in attendance (base level) or Senior planners plus mangers (next level up but still not binding).