60 minutes doing a special on lending too much money

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Beelzebub, 21st Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Unfortunately spruikers and the media will say and write what they want how they want. You could say "my dream is to fly business class to dubai"

The next minute it willl be "they were intending to go to dubai in first class"
    Then "they flew first class to dubai"
    Then "they hired a private jet and did round the world

Kate, i think what marg is saying is that you seem to be quite vague at answering questions such as "did you actually go to wherever " which can be interepretrd like the above

2. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

X
    Of course and I did write a comment explaining things further which I am sure @Marg4000 has seen.

Remember even if someone does put down the full picture, everyone will have a different perception of it.

Xenia likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

No, she hasn't. My question was dismissed with "have a nice day"???

The last statement I saw was that you did not fly around the world business class, but my question remains unanswered. Did you go or didn't you (regardless of which class )? If you choose not to answer a direct question, then you cannot hide behind the excuse that the media is misrepresenting you.

It is not hard to correct mis-information and, yes, you may have to do it time and again if you are interested in having the true facts on record.
    Marg

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I was going to say, I remember seeing an ad...

5. Gurtofen

Gurtofen Well-Known Member

Well, good luck to you and your family Kate and I really hope you can move forward in the future.

However, I can assure you if the media or any other party misrepresented, misquoted or lied about anything I did/said, I would not stop until that was corrected. I would use whatever means necessary......I would certainly never let anyone pressure me into being presented on a stage as some 'guru' to help them make money when I wasn't.....I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

You have said numerous times that you take responsibility for some of the situation you are in but I honestly believe that when you were on the crest of the wave, you were happy to let the BS slide but now that some of the tough questions have arrived.....it's a different story.

That being said, I think you are very brave for putting yourself out there and trying to warn others but IMHO outing anyone you believe acted unethically (mortgage brokers, accountants, spruikers, banks, developers etc.) is the bravest thing you could do to stop others being ruined...not trying to forget the past.

6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Not related to this specific thread, but sometimes the focus on being right, translates to a cost of being right thats not sensible

ta
    rolf

7. Gurtofen

It all comes down to individual principles......

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    It's a losing battle. The media will write what they want to write. Remember that case with Joe Hockey when he took the Sydney Morning Herald to court for defamation? Joe Hockey won the case but even with the compensation he still ended up out of pocket.

9. Gurtofen

Court is not your only option.......

In Kate's case, she could could name and shame every single person/business that acted unethically in her situation and hopefully stop others from being burnt.

What are they going to do? Sue her? Good luck.....

HUGH72 and Marg4000 like this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I would think sueing isn't going to help, but the other parties could seek an injunction? Though it ties up resources to do it.

11. Wukong

Wukong Well-Known Member

Good on you @Kate Moloney. Ultimately. It's your life and only what you think counts

Everyone has strong opinions in the age of keyboard warriors.

12. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

That's true my electrical toothbrush worth $49 broke down 4 months after u bought it but was denied warranty - would I bother chasing up with the forms consumer affairs etc - prob not. Inusurance claim of 39k that was recently rejected yeah I'll fight it through the tribunal. Being right doesn't mean anything spending time on worthwhile fights is.

Perthguy and Marg4000 like this.
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

She said:
    So there was overseas travel, but whether she flew 'around the world' is probably open to interpretation...

What would you consider to be an 'around the world' flight @Marg4000 (e.g. number of continents visited)? An unambiguous answer needs an unambiguous question.

Though not sure why it matters so much!

Beanie Girl, ellejay, Pernoi and 4 others like this.
  14. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Marg
    She did answer. She took a business class Melb-LA. Albiet on points.

Kate - I have mostly stayed out of the conversation, but have read a number of your posts.
    I feel for your losses - though it sounds like an exciting ride to the top.

I would like to make a few comments.
    From the begining your posts seemed vague in regards to what happened, and the actual (final?) outcome. I can understand this as you may have had legal commitements to your publisher and or banks, however some of posts commented that "all will be revealed when you buy the book". It comes accross a bit 'spruikerish' who first get you to a free seminar to 'learn property', then the first paid seminar will tell you the 'secret'. and so it goes.

With hindsight its pretty easy to judge our own (and others) actions. Im glad that you have 'learned' that the media will spin things to suit their own agenda - however, given your experiences Im somewhat suprised that you continue to throw yourself into the situations where the media has the opportunity to spin.
    I was interviewed for a magazine some years ago - I requested them to change my name (mostly as I didnt trust them). As I expected big holes where left in the story, despite my insistance they be 'filled'. About 12months after the original story I was requested for a follow up interview. I declined - having learned my lesson.

No one is perfect. Im certainly not. I like people to learn from their and my experiences - no one has time to make them all (though I think Im giving it a pretty good go).
    So I am glad that you are sharing your story - thank you. I wish you all the best and Im glad to see that you are finding happiness despite the challenges you are/have faced. Many would not have the mental stregth to overcome such adversities - however they came about.

Regards

Blacky

15. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Yes. A round the world ticket can be purchased for a few grand, not a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    ellejay likes this.
  16. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

@Kate Moloney We've heard about your situation and views but nothing on where to from here. What are you planning to do? Declare bankruptcy?

willair and Marg4000 like this.
  17. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Yeah agree in that. No big deal been on business class and first class both maybe 20 times in the last 5 years on various airlines. After a while u just want stay on the ground and not go anywhere

18. Kate Moloney

X
    There is a full comment on a page or so back, mentioning perception vs reality. And Marg, whatever I say, people like you will still not like me.

Luke T, ellejay and Xenia like this.
  19. Kate Moloney

Spot on. That's why it's best not to over indulge online. It's too much and not always a productive use of time.

20. Kate Moloney

Hi there

Re: vagueness. It's very hard coming out publicly when your in this position, one step at a time. Many wouldnt do this.

If you think I'm a spruikerish, that's ok, everyone has an opinion. Re: media - still learning and making lots of mistakes. Some media won't clear things up and I find its best not to care too much. Have recieved lots of private support from people in similar situations and they are the ones that really need to hear what I have to say. In my mind, if sharing saves a life, or makes someone's depression over their Moranbah investment fade, it's been worth it.

All the best to you

Luke T, Beanie Girl and Xenia like this.