6 year rule CGT clarification

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Raja Raja, 2nd Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Raja Raja

Raja Raja New Member

What is the minimum number of months one should stay in a property to establish the PPOR before converting to investment property?

Can I avail the 6 year rule CGT exemption for an property that was brought as an invesment property and maintained as PPOR in between?

Do the 6 year rule CGT exemption apply on the PPOR, when I live on rent in the same city as my PPOR(which is rented out)?

2. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Raja Raja likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Very confusing. A main residence exemption applies to actual occupation and use and perhaps a later absence if you move to rented property for example. But commecing this is a key issue. You cant "claim" a exemption because of ownership. You must commence a "main" residence. The period of time is not defined by law except a new build / renovation. However a short period of apparent occupnacy may be a fiction or merely a temporary residence not triggering eleigibility. Trying to make a property a main residence when it really isnt may be a concern.

For the value of savings involved personal tax advice is often good value.