5th property - where to invest?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by AlexV, 10th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Where to invest in 2017? House - purchase price $700K-800K

1. NSW

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. QLD

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  3. VIC

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I would suggest Adelaide, Brisbane or Hobart, weakish local economies suggest flat/steady growth only.

Melbourne possibly but it isn't flying under the radar, strong recent price growth suggests otherwise. Outer suburbs may be an option but current yields in inner/middle ring suggest value is harder to find.
    I could be wrong but nowhere really stands out in particular, individual deals which make sense might be the best option.

Whitecat, Perthguy and Gockie like this.
  2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

$240-$350k in Adelaide and your options are almost endless.

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Welcome to the forum! Love this... ok, I haven't said this out aloud on the forum before but I had 5 in Sydney in the middle of last year. Soooo good. Right time and place. :D

Agree. Always some gems out there in most areas. Bit harder to spot though if you are looking very broadly and not at specific areas. But perhaps have a criteria and if it matches...

For me recently it's been bayside purchases, (Airbnb-able and long term growth), and the next purchase after that is likely commercial, for the yields. I think long term I need to not just buy in Sydney and Brisbane though....

samiam and AlexV like this.
  4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Nice work on the 4 properties. What type of properties are they?

5. AlexV

AlexV Member

Townhouses in Marsfield and apartments in Lane cove and Chippendale. Need a house now ;-)

Whitecat, Perthguy, neK and 2 others like this.
  6. Gockie

I have a friend with 2 townhouses in Marsfield too. .. they've done well. I live a hop, skip and a jump away. And i've got an apartment near one of yours too. :D Definite keepers!

Re: house... If you buy Sydney you'll surely incur land tax. Buy elsewhere (or use it as your PPOR!)

7. AlexV

AlexV Member

Yes there was good growth in Marsfield! :)

Last edited: 10th Jan, 2017
  8. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

FWIW, I run a few checks on ABS data as its released each month/quarter. November 2016 dwelling approvals came out this week, and as a part of my analysis i looked at approvals per person 11/2015 vs. 11/2016. Interesting results (and sorry for size of the image).

Melbourne is pretty much the safest market to invest.
    Sydney is heading towards strong supply, but bear in mind most of the new supply is apartments (read - lower occupancy dwellings).
    QLD has gone way on units but it is now easing, will be interesting to see how much though.
    WA is getting better despite super-weak population growth. If migration outflow levels off, it will shape up quite well
    SA... just ask yourself - when they're building 1.2 new dwellings for each new person in the state (including births), does it sound like a good investment?
    [​IMG]

Now bear in mind that VIC has a high number of unit/townhouse approvals, backyards are becoming rare in Melbourne. IMO if you can get a yard and apartment-like rental yield, you've got yourself a pretty hot long term investment.

traveller, Redom and MTR like this.
  9. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Chippendale....
    Central Park , opposite UTS is selling 60m2 1 bedder for a $1m
    Welcome to Sydney pricing..

Whitecat likes this.
  10. Gockie

I've got to say, I'd want one (or perhaps 2) at Central Park...

RetireRich101 likes this.
  11. AlexV

AlexV Member

I have a one bedder in Central Park. Thinking about doing Airbnb maybe in the future...

bobbyj likes this.
  12. Gockie

As long as you don't have any issues with the building management! And I know those buildings have on site management.

13. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

A cool thing about this forums software is you can search by tag - we've put the same tag on each so you can find all of the threads in one page - people can find it on this link: adelaide suburb review | PropertyChat

Whitecat and Perthguy like this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, I think you are spot on, Melb is the safest market in Australia at the moment.

Realist35 likes this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You will find that it is not in the main investors buying that is the difference in Melb market.
    Flying under the radar on PC... yes, it has been, please check out all the threads on Brissy and Adelaide, nothing wrong with this, but the action was in Melb, and now PC is waking up to it.

MTR:)

16. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Depends on if you want to lump an oversupply of apartments in cbd/cbd adjacent suburbs in with the rest of the housing market in a city of 1.1m residents.

Corey Batt likes this.
  17. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Thanks @Corey Batt. That's a great resource!

18. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where you're implying the overbuild is focused, but here is something to consider.

Here is SA's population growth June 2015 - june 2016, noting that the downward trend of recent years indicates full year 2016 numbers will actually be lower than this:

• Total change: +9,262, of which:
    • Natural increase: 6,497
    • Overseas migration: 9,163
    • Interstate migration: -6,398
    • Total change minus births: 2,765

Nov 2016 approvals summary:

[​IMG]

If every single new person including babies bought a property, there is still too many.
    If every single new person excluding babies bought an apartment, there are still too many without even considering houses.
    If every single new person excluding babies bought two houses and an apartment, there are still too many.

I don't believe there are enough FHB's to make up the gap there, especially when that age group likely make up a considerable chunk of the interstate migration numbers.

No matter how you slice Adelaide, they are over-approving and over-building in all categories.

bobbyj, melbournian and Whitecat like this.
  19. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

As the responses to the poll suggests, I recommend Brisbane. For $700k you can buy a very nice located house with good land potential.
    Bne has huge infrastructure coming on board/commenced and is historically undervalued relative to Syd/Melb.
    Melbourne may still have a bit more steam reports suggest but it's already high up there in price. Bne the 3rd largest city is an absolute bargain atm.

AlexV likes this.
  20. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

It depends very much on your long term goals including your yield requirements to meet this.

I have property in almost all states in Australia so I'm genuinely not biased by the location of our business, but for my money if I was heavily weighted in NSW I would still be choosing SE Qld for the current cycle point and achievable yield as my first point of diversification. There is plenty of growth to go and there's still great rents available on prices in your desired range.

- Andrew

AlexV likes this.