WA 550k 3x2 Villa 300m^2 or 3x1 House 700m^2

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by FeasibleFI, 22nd Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. FeasibleFI

FeasibleFI Member

Hi all, I am looking to buy a PPOR for ~550k in Perth NOR and I am tossing and turning regularly between buying a smaller 3x2 villa on 300m^2 land built in last 2000/2010s, 15min from city, versus a 3x1 house on 700m^2 land built in 1970s/1980s 30min from city.

Suburbs for villa are:
    Innaloo
    Doubleview

Suburbs for house are:
    Padbury
    Craigie
    Greenwood
    Warwick

Everyone says that the value is in the land, and to get the worst house on the biggest block in the best suburb. However even the worst house on a large block in my preferred suburbs Innaloo/Doubleview, are out of my price range. For a mid 20s single with no plans for kids, what would you recommend for most likely capital appreciation?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

For capital appreciation? Obviously the land.

But is that all you care about with your PPOR?

3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

$550k doesn't buy much in Innaloo or Doubleview

I would buy a PPOR where I wanted to live in a property type I was happy to live in.

4. FeasibleFI

FeasibleFI Member

So the land in the "house" suburbs are more likely to appreciate long term than the villas, but I have to ultimately weigh up the benefits of a lower return, for living in a place/suburb I would prefer as a PPOR?

I would be happy to live in either, however one would mean that my daily commute to work is an extra 30-45 min total each day. That part worries me, however flexible working may mean it doesn't impact me as much long term.

5. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I think all the options that you mentioned will do well.

6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Last edited: 22nd Mar, 2022
  7. Citycat88

Citycat88 Well-Known Member

For a PPOR and lifestyle choice definitely Innaloo or Doubleview.

For capital appreciation and investment, that's another story, but probably the larger block in the outer suburbs.

Shogun likes this.
  8. FeasibleFI

FeasibleFI Member

My budget was originally 450k, but the current market I have had to increase to 550k. I can qualify for more, but any higher and I think it will keep me up at night too much.

I am flexible on suburbs, and like the idea of leaving near Joondalup / Edgewater as I like that hub and area. However, the 45 minute commute to the CBD every morning and evening would not be fun. However, capital appreciation of the property in outer suburbs would be better... I guess this is more a lifestyle question than an investment question.

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

An old school 2 x 1 duplex in Karrinyup or Gwelup would have more land component but still hit the budget brief

thatbum likes this.
  10. FeasibleFI

FeasibleFI Member

I appreciate your response on here Tigress, and value your opinion. 2x1s I am fine with living in, however given that these are duplex or attached, does it not mean they are harder to sell long term, as investors look to develop can't knock down the place easily?

11. FeasibleFI

FeasibleFI Member

12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

They can be easier to knock down than a villa and that's why they tend to get my vote more than a villa. I've seen people demolish halves, add a second storey onto a half etc etc

They are getting rarer but they do come up

13. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

These are way better than villas or townhouses because of that exact reason. Which do you think is actually viable to knock down and replace?

14. FeasibleFI

FeasibleFI Member

True, I absolutely agree they are easier than villas or townhouses to knock down and replace. The same way that I think knocking down an older house in an outer suburb on a bigger block is easier to replace than a townhouse/villa.

Maybe I need to shift my thinking, and go with either a 3x2 townhouse/villa on 250m^2 in Doubleview/Innaloo/Karrinyup/Gwelup

OR

2x1 duplex/attached on 400m^2 in Doubleview/Innaloo/Karrinyup/Gwelup/Osborne Park/Glendalough/Tuart Hill/Joondanna etc

Basically same location, more land, easier for a developer to knock down in 10 years.

15. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Agree that a PPOR is just as much a lifestyle decision as an investment possibility. Ideal if you can get both, but it is often one or the other.

Traffic will only get worse, and today’s 45 minute commute may increase to an hour or more in a few years’ time.

Propin, FeasibleFI and Shogun like this.
  16. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

17. FeasibleFI

FeasibleFI Member

18. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Now under offer