$500K equity $300K cash - and ready for a development

Discussion in 'Development' started by BeginerPete, 30th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

$800,000 is a decent amount...providing you can get other funding.

Can probably do a 2-2.5m project if you stay under resi lending making it easier.

2. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Both @sash and I are making this work for us with similar profit margins to multi unit development with arguably lower risk (lower dollars, debt, planning risk) and considerably less time with money out equals a much higher IRR. works best in a rising market though.

Observer and Perthguy like this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Yes, this is true. My mate did hers when the market was rising strongly in Perth. She would not be able to duplicate now and have moved on to other areas.

4. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

$60k/pa. $300k cash and $500k equity?
    The numbers are 'odd'.

Tell your friend to ignore property development and keep doing what ever he is doing. It seems to be working just fine for him/her.

With that cash/equity/income there's not much in development which will work (maybe a Reno/subdivide or single build) the risk of anything larger is significant as there is no leeway to fund delays/cost over runs.

High risk proposition imo and there is more to lose than gain.

Blacky

5. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I would be suprised if they are able to borrow a further 1.2-1.7mil on $60k income.

Observer, Mustafa Salehi and sanj like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I started my investment journey doing exactly what you are doing and everything is great in a rising market.

However, I would not compare multi unit development with house and land packages, which one is better is dependent on many factors, profits and ROI, returns will vary dependent on market conditions, which seems to be ignored and the most important factor IMHO

There is risk with both regardless

7. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Of course, no risk no reward!

I am doing both.

MTR likes this.
  8. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Thats why i wrote.....providing you can get other funding

9. MindMaster

MindMaster Well-Known Member

:confused: Those ebooks cost $147 each, published in 2007 and sold on clickbank. I know a good book can be worth way more than this but a little dubious about these ones.

10. TaylorChang

TaylorChang Well-Known Member

800k is enough for the property development.
    What sort of development and profit you are after ? what is the end result/profit/build do you want to achieve.
    Start small and get involve and understand all the process before taking on bigger stuff.
    Start small such as putting a granny flat at your backyard, putting a house on a piece of land, maybe a duplex build as well.

Check the number, build cost, plan price, end sale price, end rental price, council cost, interest cost, various consultant fee....etc.

Also factor in some sleepless nights throughout the process.

MTR likes this.
  11. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Agree I have almost completed a two unit build and subdivision and spent around $550k will make $110k profit. Now I had around $485k debt, but this person could do it with equity instead.

TaylorChang likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

yes, definately factor in some sleepless nights, I have had a few, lucky I have Foxtel, presto, stan and Netflix...

Cactus and TaylorChang like this.
  13. ottg

ottg Well-Known Member

14. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Glad I'm not the only one that losses sleep. I go to sleep no problems but when I wake up at 1/2/3am I can't get back to sleep for hours with mind racing about everything I have on and timing and don't forget that. Last night I wrote a list of things so I could go back to sleep. Type A personalities...

MTR likes this.
  15. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

A retainable PPOR ideally but not necessarily could easily be done.

I made a 7 figure gain on a staged project with zero capital growth and had only 500k cash in total. Grant3d that was after years of experience but I'm kinda shocked with the general consensus there isn't enough to make it work here.

First project I ever did all i had was 80k to buy, retain and sundivide and from memory that was around 200k gain, he or she could easily do this, it's a matter of working out the specific strategy best suited for experience levels and most importantly that can be done on current income and cash in bank level

The knowledge gained, especially the realisation of just how much more of a lucrative approach cr3qting more money vs hoping and praying for the market gods to shine on you would be priceless too.

Observer and Cactus like this.
  16. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sounds like the "profit" was creaTed by the rising market, or at least a good portion of it. 8 don't consider that to be a successful example because the result relies on factors out of your control

darrenonsnow likes this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.