50 Things Money Cant Buy....

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by MTR, 31st May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Sometimes having money makes experiences worse.... staying in nice hotels for example, people don't mix at all unlike cheaper bungalows and hostels. I met plenty of interesting people staying in cheap places (travel partners and others...), but never in expensive ones. I recall a dive tour I did in Raratonga, felt sorry for the guy we dropped off at his nice hotel before we went back to our bunkhouse for beers and a party.

Angel likes this.
  2. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Money doesn't buy you happiness, but allows you to arrive at your problems in style.

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

True... staying at YHAs and campsites and being in the company of people there is half the fun of travelling sometimes!

4. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

He might have been heading back for a nice evening with some $1k per night new friends.

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I personally think many divorces are a result of a lack of money, though indirectly. Even the most caring and loving couple, when tested over and over, day, in day out with lack of money issues, can cause cracks in relationships and over time, the frustrations, irritabilities, stress, resentments etc.. all takes it's toll.

Now or never and kierank like this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Can also work the other way staying in a upmarket 5 star hotel,if you stay for a few weeks you get to meet financially independent people,and they seem more happier then the ones who are not financially secure...

kierank and Sackie like this.
  7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

But it would be much less common to "meet" them when you compare to making your dinner in a hostel kitchen and eating it in a communal dinner area.... hostel people often get together for days and nights out... part of the experience of travelling on a budget.

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I would hate travelling on a very tight budget especially for international trips. At the end of a full day out travelling I want to come back to complete relaxation and luxury. But of course everyone is different.

Last edited: 1st Jun, 2016
    kierank likes this.
  9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Yep, me too.

We have a rule where, for flights longer than 4 hours, we travel business class as a minimum.

For flights less than 4 hours, we buy economy tickets and upgrade to business class using points.

I did the cheap travel thing when I was younger, not any longer for this bunny.

Sackie likes this.
  10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I enjoy airbnb when travelling. You get to meet people who are living in that country, not just other travellers. And you often get a higher level of security and comfort than hostels.

Although sometimes Airbnb listings are just hostels or hotels.

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Like that.

kierank likes this.
  12. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I don't drink and on some level, hate parties.

Different for everyone.... As much as I'd like to say I don' mind staying in cheap places, the fact is I don't usually enjoy them that much. I need clean place, clean bed, quietness, facility and privacy - this is usually only available on mid to more expensive places. I really enjoyed 5 star treatments ;)

Sackie likes this.
  13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I guess it would be that way,the % of millionaires from the hostel to the hotel would be vastly different from my experience,big difference from sitting around a fire in New-Zealand at a hostel with 35 people,and sitting around a glass covered lake front fireplace in a hotel and you can learn a lot from multi millionaires who don't act like millionaires..

kierank likes this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Who doesn't? :D

Anyone tell you any different is...ah...:rolleyes:

15. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

You're looking at it wrong ;) The hostel thing I agree fully but having money makes the experience better because instead of travelling for a month or two you can travel for a year or two!

I'm another who prefers the hostel experience though I do have a tendency to break it up with a private room here or a 5 star hotel there occasionally just to refresh and recharge a bit. Hostel's and Hotels are very different experiences for a very different target.

16. Now or never

Now or never Active Member

As someone rich once said, "Money doesn't bring you happiness but it sure buys you a big yacht staffed by scantily clad women & (men) and brings you very close to it"!