Cars & Motorbikes 4x4 Advice

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by robbie_p, 12th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How much beach/water crossings has it done? (underbody rust)

Blacky likes this.
  3. robbie_p

The seller said none at all, but ill check tomorrow.

4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Looks like a good buy for the extremely low mileage. The 100 series is are hefty and the 1HZ engine is a bit underpowered when out on the highway, but you'll suss that out in your test drive.

5. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

We had an old Sierra until recently. Same as the Jimni but with the soft top.
    Really great cars, but could have done with a few more HP - which wouldn't be hard in the newer versions.

Loved that little car!

Blacky

boeman likes this.
  6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yeah.... fondly remember bruised elbows (from wacking the driver door), wrenched wrists (pre-power steering days), being blown sideways across highways, cooked in 60 degree heat (aircon? nah...).... :D... but it could squeeze into the track of the Victorian high country that would have left a landy or patrol wedged between 2 trees....

The Y-man

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Blacky - SWB Daihatsu Feroza. Great little car before SUVs became all the rage.

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Too new :D Scat.

The Y-man

9. robbie_p

Going to be test driving the below over the next few days, hopefully all good solid cars!

Private - 2000 Toyota Landcruiser GXL Manual 4x4 ($23,000 142,000kms Diesel)
    Dealer - 2010 Nissan Patrol ST GU 7 Auto 4x4 MY10 ($ 24,980 135,000kms Diesel)
    Dealer - 2007 Nissan Patrol ST GU 5 Auto 4x4 MY07 ($22,888 112,000 Diesel)
    Private - 2007 Nissan Patrol ST GU 6 Manual 4x4 MY08 ($23,900 106,000 Diesel)
    Dealer - 2008 Nissan Patrol ST GU 6 Manual 4x4 MY08 ($24,995 132,000 Diesel)

I guess the only problem i have with buying privately if there are some mechanical issues which arise down the line. The dealers currently offer protection for up to 3 years, which does give me some peace of mind.

What should i be doing if buying privately? Its not always practical taking the car to my local mechanic to get check out.

10. robbie_p

Also looking at this one:

Private - 2008 Nissan Patrol ST GU 6 Manual 4x4 MY08 ($19,900.00 119,000 Diesel)

11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Don't go by the service log-books-manual when looking,as you can buy a scanner that will read the cpu and give you an idea on the motor use-all the previous fault code readouts -the scanner just plugs into a socket under the dash board..

The only other is ask if the 4x4 has been used for work or family run about ,and offer 20% less then the listed price..

12. robbie_p

Thanks, when i have decided on the car, im going to pay the RACQ to do a full check on it. Any issues will hopefully be sorted out OR used to neg price down

13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I bought a second hand 2005 merc a few months ago private sale ,when I took it in for service by the logbook ,once they checked out all the fuel-air filters ,auto 6 speed filters -not one had been changed from new ,but by the logbooks service they had been charged as being changed -the petrol filter alone is over $150 german made ..Just be carefull -after all they are all one owners and pigs fly..

14. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I am looking at buying a 4x4 shortly myself. Initially I was all keen to get diesel for he torque and mileage, but I don't think my driving usage would suit diesel. I only do around 7500km a year, and the car spends most of its time idle. My understanding of the modern deisels in particular, is that for the environmental systems to be effective they need the car running at a decent effort for more than 30 minutes, otherwise the depositing of gunk is much worse, and will require more frequent servicing (or Bad Things Happen).

Am I way off base here?

Also seems strange that the rest of the world is moving away from deisel (even setting dates after which no new deisels can be sold) just as Aus is starting to ramp up deisel consumption...

Cheers,
    Inertia.

15. robbie_p

Took the below to cars to test drive..

2000 Toyota Landcruiser GXL Manual 4x4 ($23,000 142,000kms Diesel)
    2007 Nissan Patrol ST GU 5 Auto 4x4 MY07 ($22,888 112,000 Diesel)

This was the first time driving these types of cars. Personally i REALLY enjoyed the Toyota Landcruiser. It just seemed to be a smoother, quieter ride than the patrol i drove..not sure if it was just that particular patrol or the landcruiser is just a smoother and quieter car.

If i prefered the landcruiser over this patrol, is there much point test driving the other patrols?

BTW.. i enjoyed driving the patrol, just really enjoyed the landcruiser.

16. robbie_p

More about the landcruiser..

There was no rush at all (inside, outside, under). The seller did point out to me a leak on the front left wheel.. said something about a seal? He was going to get it sorted out. Anything serious? Attached a pic

Attached Files:

17. robbie_p

"There was no *rust at all"

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Forget about any dealers' warranty. It isn't worth the paper it's written on. (refer The Checkout on ABC TV or your friendly Choice website)

19. robbie_p

Question.. im probably going to make an offer and put a small holding deposit on a car today.. when making the deposit ($250), do I need anything in writing between the seller and myself?

20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Dont put an offer on it until after the racq inspection.

The Y-man likes this.