47sqm apartment anyone?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by tobe, 18th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

WattleIdo and jim1964 like this.
  3. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

That sucks.
    They really don't look happy in that photo..

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I wonder why whe there there were proper approval in place or everything is just on the phone :-/

Dean Collins likes this.
  5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The abhorrent part of all this is the bank waited until the day prior to settlement to inform him of the problem. They would have known the moment they got the valuation. They have every right to decline the loan when they realise the property is outside of their lending criteria but by not informing him in a timely manner they denied him the ability to obtain alternative finance. For that he should be compensated.

Had he gone to a broker this wouldn't have been a problem at all. There's plenty of lenders that would do this, even at a high LVR. The numbers suggest he needed a 90% lend. I can think of several lenders that can do this, even in the CBD. The NAB definitely isn't one of them.

albanga, WattleIdo, Redwood and 5 others like this.
  6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Our friend were on conditional approval only to have it denied by the bank close to their cooling off period due to 'undisclosed debt' (which was disclosed) o_O not as severe $$ but I wonder how the bank missed all of these.

2FAST4U likes this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I see 2 issues here:
    1. obviously gone in on an unconditional offer (or auction) perhaps even with a pre-approval
    2. The problem appears to be with the "manager" not the bank. He/she may have been doing favours that may not be NAB's SOP?

The Y-man

8. eskander

eskander Well-Known Member

9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Who knows, light on solid details, they can go to other lenders, vendor can't be unreasonable.

Sounds like there was no approval at all possibly.

10. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

11. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    I think there's a few factors here.

1. Small 1 bedroom apartment (47sqm) in Melbourne, which has a well known apartment oversupply, particularly in Melbourne.
    2. Blacklist suburb- "NAB has previously identified Melbourne CBD, St Kilda Road Central and Abbotsford as postcodes of future risk, where it was capping loan-to-valuations for new lending at 80 per cent".
    3. He had a small deposit, which made him vulnerable to the valuation and he was obviously nowhere near 80%.
    4. He is a student that works part-time so it's unlikely that he currently has an income high enough to comfortably service the loan.

I feel sorry for him. 41k is a lot to lose + possible further financial penalties from the vendor for the contract falling though. It does look unprofessional from the bank, but sadly stories like this are not as rare as many people think. I've read plenty of posts on Somersoft/Propertychat of finance being denied even when pre-approvals were in place. Usually it happens at auction when the banks believe a property is overpriced, which can easily happen if it's a rising market and banks are relying upon valuation stats that are 3+ months old. Alternatively it can happen if people are highly leveraged and relying on equity from other property to fund a purchase. 99.9% of the time the contract price will be what the bank will usually value the property as, but sometimes a spanner gets thrown into the works and if you're highly leveraged you've got a lot less negotiation power.

Tim86 and eskander like this.
  12. eskander

@chylld yes sorry didn't realise there was an existing thread, feel free to remove mods :)

13. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    Sounds like the bank manager screwed up. This guy needs to get an approval from Commonwealth ASAP. I hope he does not need LMI!

Last edited: 18th Jan, 2017
    Brady, WattleIdo and Perthguy like this.
  14. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Bank manager definitely screwed up there by not disclosing the risk / lending policy... knowledge that most of us here might take for granted.

What irks me most is how the article is engineered to elicit more negative sentiment about how banks treat first home buyers. Friend just shared the article on FB saying: "Well done by NAB. We've got a genuine first homebuyer in a market that's trying its hardest to push out actual first home buyers and they screw him over royally. Nice work"

:mad:

With my comment this thread is now of equal size, up to them to combine if they want :)

15. eskander

@chylld yeah agreed, and as @2FAST4U said, there was a few things there that definitely didn't make him the best candidate for a loan

16. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

That's sad, so i only get comfort only when the house is settled.

17. dabbler

If you have a conditional approval, then you do not go unconditional until conditions satisfied, once that is done and val comes back ok, not much likely to go wrong from there.

Do not read too much into a story that provides little detail.

18. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

And this is why OTP is rarely recommended as a first home buyers investment property.

19. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Can't find anything in the article mentioning OTP?

20. dabbler

Nor do I, nor any indication the bank has done anything wrong at all.