40 yrs old house subsiding - builder/underpinner or engineer? (Brisbane)

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Bernie, 13th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

Hi all,

I am based in Melb and I have an IP in Brisbane and my existing tenants have reported an issue where one of the bedrooms upstairs has been on a slight downward slope towards then road (room highlighted in floorplan). Issue appears to be reactive soil.
    [​IMG]
    There is a granny flat at rear of property separated with a dividing fence. My realestate agent has sent a builder to do an assessment ($600) as well as our plumber ($500) to perform camera check on drainage pipes blockage. A solution proposed by builder is to dig trench from back of house to the road, and will cost at least $8k. Plumber disagrees as he can't see issue with the drainage issue apart from service water, plumber suggests to get quote from underpinner. I contacted my insurance too and but I don't expect much this is covered by the policy (based on what I read on this forum),but hoping for another opinion. I am reaching out here to see if you guys can share your opinion what I need to do next.

More info below:

Builder:
    Builder proposed a trench to be dug from the backyard all the way to the side of house then out to the road for service water to flow away from the house (plumber think this is too much and not needed). Estimated cost of minimum $8k. Underpinning and internal fixes would be extra once soil is stabilised. He also stated a crack on the brick wall above garage due to this issue.
    Builder_Existing.png Builder_Proposed.png Crack.png Pic_Front_of_House.png

I am not 100% clear from this report if this issue has just happened, or it is actually movement over 40 years and I am not clear if the trench is really needed. The crack above the garage has been there since I bought this in 2018, and gap does not appears to be expanding. The crack appear to have been there for quite some times, digging up the internet, I found an old listing picture back in 2013 and crack was already there. Which suggest maybe movement has been over time and not a single event?
    Front_2013.png

Plumber:
    Our plumber checked all drainage pipes and did leakage test and there do not appear to be leakage. He does not agree with the builder and thinking the trench work is too much. There can still be service water (my understanding it is rain water flow through the soil/lawn), he suggests to get quote from underpinner and get them have a look at it. I have attached his recommendation in screenshots below if that help.
    Plumber_report1.png Plumber_report2.png

My Building Insurance:
    Insurance company contacted the tenants and is aware of check completed by builder and plumber, they requested these info to sent through and I did. They said they are independent and will arrange their own guys to check if there are conflicting information... I am not hopeful this is covered under insurance, but hoping to get another opinion on what needs to be done.

Thanks in advance,
    Berns

Attached Files:

2. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

FYI, the builder disagrees with what plumber said and said the trench is needed, plumber is wrong. Although we have pictures and footage of the camera check from plumber, builder refused to look at them and requested they do the drainage pipes check themselves. This was last week.

Today builder contacted the real estate agent and offer free drainage pipe check, but I asked to put that on hold, there are a lot of information and I want to wait for information from insurance and also want to post this here for opinion from you guys.

I can't 100% trust the report from builder not because it cost an arm and leg, but I guess he is not in a neutral position as there is money involved if he get the job. I see some other posts where forum members have suggested engineer to check as they are not bias and will give you proper advice. I am not sure if this is what I need to do, or get underpinner to check it out. Probably same issue with underpinner.

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Best bet is a report from an independent structural engineer.

KayTea, balwoges and Bernie like this.
  4. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

Thanks, this is what I am leaning towards to. If advice is to stay put and monitor, then I can get them check again next year to compare if movement has worsen before doing any underpinning work.

5. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I'm confused - are there any cracks / identifiable issues directly related to the apparently sloping floor?

6. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

I forgot to mention, there is a door issue in the same bedroom (the one facing to the road far left), it cannot be shut, this issue was reported same time as the slope issue. From what I was told there are no visible cracks inside. As for exterior, the crack on brick above sunroof (above garage) is the one visible crack and appear to have existed for quite sometimes, not sure the cause of that one, but assume it is probably due to movement over time

7. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

There was a mould issue in the same bedroom reported back in April which caused by water dripping from roof into wardrobe causing the mould. A section of flashing above main bedroom was loose and not sealed. This has been primed sealed and secured since. Not sure if this is related.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our son's first house had a bad cracking issue, created by a slope, double storey at the front and single at the back, with soil sitting against the lower level at the back since the 1960s when the house was built. That lower level had been cut into a hill, and had never been waterproofed, so was constantly copping moisture from higher up the hill, plus the back patio had sunk and water was also shedding towards that back wall instead of shedding away from the house.

Our son wanted to ensure the problem was fixed before spending money renovating the house to suit his needs. We had two underpinners look (from memory maybe $25k). First said one whole side had to be underpinned. Second was an injection underpinner (from memory about $12k but soon rose to over $20k from memory). I sensed he saw parents willing to help out and the price doubled, but maybe I'm too cynical.

Turned out someone I used to work with is a builder and underpinner, and he took a look for us, which was great, as we knew he wouldn't rip us off.

He said the slab had "heaved" and to dig a trench behind the house to keep the water from reaching the back brick wall and get under the slab and stop the water hitting the patio from reaching the back wall.

Hubby dug a trench probably about 4 foot deep (maybe deeper) across the whole back yard, jackhammered up the old back concrete slab patio, used the rubble to fill the trench, also used sock covered ag pipe to ensure the water could get away. That trench crossed about ten feet behind the house, and down each side to ensure any water got away.

That underpinner friend told us that after all those years of being wet, the house may now settle differently, and the cracking "could" get worse as the soil dried out and the house found its new level. He said to leave it several months, see how it settled, and it was possible one corner might need underpinning (but it didn't need it).

All that work was done, movement stopped, and then many months later, the outside of the house was rendered, not just to hide the old cracks in the brickwork, but to totally modernise a dated house.

I'm not sure if that helps or not?

KayTea likes this.
  9. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

I did read about your story in another post and this align with builder recommendation. By the sound of it, your son's first property was in a deep slope landscape given double storey front and single back which probably have a lot more service water running off against the property. My land is relatively flat, with right side neighbour on higher ground, probably half a meter higher, so it is possible there are water coming from that side, but majority of drop appears to be on left hand side of house.

Do you know how much your son's first house has dropped?

Did your builder/underpinner say it definitely wont have movement overtime once soil is stabilised? Or it will still have movement over long period of time (let say over 40 years)?

10. wylie

I was hesitant to write about his house, because from your photos, you don't have a similar soil against the wall issue. I could put the tips of my fingers into the cracks, too big to fill with render, as it would be obvious they'd been filled. The cracks might have been there since the house was first built and first settled (and should been done when the house was built).

But the water against the wall needed to be directed away, especially as our son made an ugly "under the house" into a beautiful living area with nice finishes, so this had to be sorted out properly.

One side was cracked, and the front corner on that side had some smaller cracks. That front corner was the place the underpinner said might need a spot fill, and maybe one of the brick engaged piers along the side. But after many months of allowing it all to dry out and stabilise, nothing needed doing.

Nobody could say it definitely won't have movement over more time though. Nobody could say that about any house really.

11. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

Thanks for the additional information, it helps, I think I need to find out how much engineer report cost and make a decision from here.

12. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

As the property hasn't fallen down after 30 or more years (based on the use of vc pipes) and the cracks have been known about for 8 years, so there even longer, I suspect it is not particularly serious. If water is ponding near the house, then this definitely needs remedying as it will exacerbate ground movement and I would want to deal with the drains - either the remedial work recommended by the plumber or replacement with upvc pipe.

Bernie likes this.
  13. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

Thank you, would you get structural engineer to check first?

14. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

15. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Some good advice in this thread already.. I would just recommend including Booth Engineers in your list of quotes.. I’ve read many reports and underpinning scopes (including my own), and I don’t think you’d get better advice than from these guys.

Booth Engineers & Associates | Home Page
    p.s I’m not affiliated with them

Bernie likes this.
  16. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

Thank you for the contact, will reach out for a quote too.

Would you guy disclose the report from builder as well as plumber when getting the structural engineer to assess this slope issue? or just see what they find?

17. wylie

I would show the engineer what you have already from the builder and plumber.

Bernie likes this.
  18. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Definitely show them all plumbing info you have. They will need this and may undertake another leak detection otherwise..

Bernie likes this.
  19. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

When you do underpinning, do you need structural engineer design prior underpinner quoting on the job? or do they quote the job based on preliminary report from structural engineer and they will get the design separately and generally include soil test/engineer design in their quote?

I have contacted a couple of Structural Engineers.
    1. First one I contacted has two price structures, where they would first do a preliminary inspection on the issue (check level of house, crack and etc), and if recommendation is to do underpinning, I can then upgrade to a more detailed report which include design and soil test, and I can then provide it to underpinner to quote.
    2. The second structural engineer I contacted will do preliminary inspection same as per above, and if recommendation is to do underpinning, then I would then take the preliminary report (includes estimate number of under pin needed) and get quote from underpinner. This structural engineer said the underpinner generally has their preferred structural engineer they work with and their quote includes this cost.
    I probably should call a couple of underpinners to see what the process is.

20. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

Just an update to this. I found an underpinner which both engineers recommend on their website and I spoke to the underpinning company (not quite sure if I am allowed to name it here). the first engineer #1 (the upgrade option) is what they prefer to work with as that guy has better drawing and does all the soil test prior and they would be able to give firm quote.

As for the #2 structural engineer, this underpinning guy also worked with, they can quote based on site visit and preliminary report from engineer, but they can only provide estimate due to no engineer design.