4 units on 1 title with LMR zoning

Discussion in 'Development' started by propertyjosh, 19th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. propertyjosh

propertyjosh Member

Hi Forum members,

I'm looking at LMR zoning locations around Brisbane for a block where I can create 4 units on the one title. The block must have access to the back where two units would be built. Ideally, the existing house would be a Queenslander that I could raise to add a second dwelling under the existing one. My question is, what sort of block size would allow for this many dwellings? Is the one attached adequate and who do I approach to find that out? A council town planner? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. AaronR

AaronR Well-Known Member

As a starting point it might be worthwhile jumping on Google maps satellite view in an area with reasonably high land value, LMR zoning and older houses where this happens (Annerley and Camp Hill come to mind), then see if you can spot anything similar from the sky. Once you find a block you can search the address using the Application Enquiry on http://pdonline.brisbane.qld.gov.au and see the history of what plans they submitted and any issues they encountered along the way.

I'm sure others have gone through it and could potentially comment, but this is a good way to get some info on what you're looking for in BCC without any help from others. I've learned a lot this way.

3. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

You get 45% site coverage (building footprint including garages & carports) on LMR sites. 600m2 is doable without an old Qlder on it as you can have 4 x 67.5m footprint which double storey gives you 4 x135m2 town houses, a lot of the Qlder's tend to have 80+m2 footprints and can be an issue. Townhouses tend to be a cheaper build then units as you don't need poured slabs in the air, just a core filled (or even firecheck) separating walls.

45% x site x number of storeys is where you get your total building area allowed.

4. propertyjosh

propertyjosh Member

Thank you psylink and RPI. Both really helpful replies.

5. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

does anyone know the cost to build 135m2 double storey townhouse with basic inclusion ( excluding head, earth works, connections, infra fees, external concrete and driveway)?

6. propertyjosh

propertyjosh Member

My experience getting building quotes when working in the house & land industry was (depending on the area loading), metro prices were around $850-950/sqm including connections and 6m driveway. Regional varied significantly but you can be looking at 10%-50% extra depending on a number of factors. Where are you talking about?

RetireRich101 likes this.
  7. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Sorry to hijack your thread Josh but i thought best to ask here.

With regards to LMR block, if you only had a small block around 405m2 with a queenslander on it, is it possible to raise the house, create fire seperation in between the levels and build another unit under it? Legally of course going through council.

RetireRich101 likes this.
  8. RetireRich101

@propertyjosh, this is in a cheaper metro area, about 70-80k per parcel of land to build 135m2 ( excluding infra, site cost, connection)

9. RetireRich101

@Biz, I don't believe you can achieve this. It's considered as multidwelling, and you need 600m2 with 15m frontage. If it's under 600m2 but bigger than 520m2 you can consider 2x260m2 if the configured lot can achieve a 7.5m frontage

Biz likes this.
  10. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Yes it is possible, DA needs to be written well but possible.

Biz likes this.
  11. propertyjosh

propertyjosh Member

Look, I think considering my quotes are for bulk builds of 200sqm homes with services, it's not a perfect example but I would guess, if you got 3 quotes, they should be in the vicinity of $800-1000/sqm or roughly $108-135,000. I hope that helps. Maybe someone else could be more accurate?