4 Townhouses development - Melbourne

Discussion in 'Development' started by MTR, 24th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

This could get interesting. ;)

barnes and Sackie like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, that will be interesting but of course I wont be sharing builders name, architect, town planner etc.

I

BigKahuna and SOULFLY3 like this.
  3. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

@MTR Assuming you had to do stormwater retention and had a decent driveway component and given they were small (less area to share The cost of kit, bath, ens) then $14.5k/sq is a really good price especially with stone etc. Well done!

I will be paying about $13k/sq turnkey inc driveway and retention no stone base spec and bigger units.

Thanks for sharing.

Sackie, MTR and Perthguy like this.
  4. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

Hey MTR,

just read this and wanted to say good luck. You've come a long way since I read your first post on your first development. You go girl!

Dave

Esel, BigKahuna, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  5. SOULFLY3

SOULFLY3 Well-Known Member

Awesome MTR, even thou my TT development is dragging on :( reading your posts keeps me motivated and envious, I just want to bloody knock it down already!

Sackie, BigKahuna and MTR like this.
  6. Ben_j

Ben_j Well-Known Member

Hi @MTR

Great work with this project, and appreciate you posting the numbers in detail.

On average, how much time per week did you need to put into this? I'm assuming it was significantly more at the start?

Thanks

Ben

7. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

It shows the power of this forum. Without it it is unlikely that the education and confidence would prevail in the first place. In your figures I think you need include all the time put in (including mental stress) against a reasonable hourly rate and deduct that from profit if not already?

For most starting out without huge cash buffers, the mental stress and time has a value too. Can't ignore that.

If it was as simple as paying people along the way and signing contracts then everyone would be it.

Keanan likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

very little time

I had people doing the work. My job was making sure they kept on track. Perhaps 1-2 hours per week phone calls

My Perth 3 villa development was far more time consuming because the builder's project manager was too busy project managing his own personal projects

MTR

Last edited: 25th Jan, 2016
    Sackie, Perthguy and Xenia like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I had completed 3 projects prior to this one, just keep learning, baby steps.

I am pretty chilled out these days and I have cash buffers.

When I started I think I let ego get in the way and found out very quickly that things can and do go wrong, that was a good lesson.

mtr

Sackie, Perthguy and Xenia like this.
  10. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

Was that your spearwood units? I'll not mention the builder :)

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

yes it was. The quality was excellent, project management caused headaches

Did you use this builder?

Hodgo likes this.
  12. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

Yeah, only issue was getting DA. Once that was done the actual build has gone great, about 8 months I recon. Very happy so far :)

Sackie and MTR like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

that is great, we took 9 months.

Sackie likes this.
  14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's certainly no easy ride. My ego got flattened last year when I battled so much opposition to my projects. Couldn't everyone see my vision? Was I just a money hungry greedy developer like the neighbours all thought? Was I battling to prove I was right or because I honestly believed in the project.
    Developing outside the box is certainly more challenging but I still love it and it will have it's rewards when my projects are finally finished. Now it's finding more of a balance between risky/challenging projects and more straightforward ones.

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I can relate to this. All i can say is I'm done buying sites that have very tricky ( and massively time consuming) easements to overcome.

MTR likes this.
  16. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Thats well said MTR - stigma is amazing! It is an investment decision, not an emotional decision - you can got see all these gurus speak (not me!!!) but it comes down to commonsense in my opinion.

Your flip strategy in the states applies to your development. Buy, use your team effectively to utilise the land, design, get it approved and bang your on your way. You can do 5 townhouses from digging to settlement in 6 months easy unless Xmas is in the way.

Titles take a few weeks.

Re finance, pretty simple just have to play it carefully. You need capital in the first place and most lenders will require sales to cover the debt provided however this is negotiable. You may even refinance and use equity.

If your looking at Noble Park let me know, best to knock on doors, however you can still get stock through an agent without auction. By knocking on doors you save two per cent and can combine blocks.

Our locations now are in the growth zone and 150m to the station so its prime. My sister has her development less than 800m from station - mine are 2br hers are 3br - big difference.

With the build done internally - its hard to lose money.

Watch for demolishers - choose the wrong one and you can be delay for ages!!! your in their hands and you don't wanna mess with'em. Can get nasty. We had one for ages and he unfortunately passed away - we are now working with a new one.

Cheers Ivan

SOULFLY3, Westminster and MTR like this.
  17. Redwood

Now you know why Mick Gatto has a healthy cash flow.....objections are usually just to **** you off and delay the project - then when you go to VCAT they don't turn up. Try an incentive upfront - most neighbours are catching on and blatantly asking for cash to withdraw objections.

Cheers Ivan

MTR likes this.
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

19. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

@Redwood interested to know why a dodgy demolisher can delay your build? I'm about to demolish my place and didn't think much could go wrong except damage next doors property?

20. Redwood

Hodgie - looking forward to the four-peet?

they have the permit....choose carefully