LIC & LIT 4-5 LICS for Debt Recycling Strategy

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by JK200SX, 12th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

A relative is considering using LIC's to debt recycle, as per the method shown in the classical Peter Thornehill diagram that is floating around here on the forum. The person has a non-deductable debt on their PPOR of approx 600K and has access to approx 150-200K in a loan split that has been specifically set up for investment purposes.

If you were in this scenario, which 4-5 (or 6?) LIC's would you invest in to help repay the non-deductable debt, with a view to eventually keep growing the LIC bas.

Thanks in advance,

JK

2. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Just use VAS and save a lot of time and the likelihood of underperformance.

If committed to the LIC path then you'd just go the old standards, AFI/ARG/MLT/AUI unless you wanted to get fancy.

I'd caution this however - when that $200k of LICs becomes worth $100k and they have just added $100k to their mortgage how will they respond?

The theory doesnt deal with that.

Perthguy, Jaik2012, sharon and 7 others like this.
  3. Froxy

Froxy Well-Known Member

No offence but if they cant do their own research they should not be leveraging in, particularly at market highs and exposed to purely domestic equities and to that amount.

This forum is great, especially when getting started. But you need to have some serious conviction and a thesis for doing this.

Have them do their own research and lay out their portfolio and reasons why they are included and write down how they would time investments and react to certain outcomes.

Anne11, number 5, Burgs and 1 other person like this.
  4. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

ARG, MLT, VAS, VGS, WHF, IEM, NDQ, PL8
    Find an allocation that helps sleeping at night, add anything that tickles your fancy as you go along, that above is pretty much becoming my core holdings, will make up circa 65-70% of my holdings with the remainder other lics/etfs and direct holdings. For what it's worth I'm using very small amounts of leverage (top up/cash out using equity on ppor)
    Before anyone shoots me down, save ur energy, I'm sure it's not the perfect plan but I'm comfortable with it

sharon, Froxy and Greedo like this.
  5. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Some thoughts.

Has your relative considered Dollar Cost Averaging (over a year or two)? Might help them deal with potential volatility in the short term.

As suggested by a few an ETF like VAS is an option, even PT has softened his view on ETFs from my understanding. I wouldn't buy an LIC unless at an NTA discount (this doesn't need to be more than a 1 minute check) having that panel of 4-5 helps here and an ETF allows regular buying.

Some international exposure (even 10%) is worthwhile considering even with the yield trade off.

6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I've done worse.

Silverson and Froxy like this.
  7. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Do tell!

8. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

For this strategy perhaps best save the use of leverage for when LICs are cheap which usually means the market and economy have fallen in a heap. And ensure that during this time they have a high probability of keeping their jobs when others are losing theirs!

And even before doing the above have them imagine the value of their shares cut by 50% or more and dividends cut by at least 30%. Will they be able to tough it out or fold under pressure not only losing much of the value of their shares but potentially their home as well.

All this stuff looks great in theory but if it goes pear shaped the outcome can be devastating.

It can still work but they really need to understand the risks involved and have a plan in place to deal with potential negative events.

Ynot, Anne11, ChrisP73 and 4 others like this.
  9. Isla_Nublar

Isla_Nublar Well-Known Member

What ETF do you suggest for international exposure alongside VAS for Australian exposure? Do you use VGS given its Australian domiciled? I need to increase my international exposure given I’m currently 100% Australian

10. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Rarely mentioned but IWLD is similar to VGS with half the MER.

To the original post: the tax strategy should be a lower priority than the TSR. Thus the aim should be a diversified portfolio with appropriate risk reward for the personal situation. You can do that with ETFs or LICs or a combination, which has been discussed before.

11. Burgs

Burgs Well-Known Member

That IWLD is interesting how it us made up of 4 different ETF's.
    upload_2019-7-15_8-17-59.png

12. Greedo

Greedo Well-Known Member

Hadn’t seen IWLD before, thanks. It’s trailing distribution looks like c. 4.7%. What is driving that?

13. skinner84

skinner84 Member

For debt recycling to work you need to be receiving regular dividends right? So investing in international shares that don't pay much of a dividend doesn't make sense. Unless you plan on selling them down if they reach a new high - hard to time though I would think.

14. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Not necessarily.
    The 2 broad methods of Debt Recycling The 2 broad methods of Debt Recycling

Froxy likes this.
  15. skinner84

skinner84 Member

Terry_w likes this.
  16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

International shares do pay dividends - they're just not franked dividends.

But if you're choosing to invest in companies which don't pay dividends but which are growing, it's possible to just sell just some shares, subject only to a minimum parcel size, to follow the approach suggested by @Terry_w

17. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I'd be somewhat cautious about another party gathering information about investing issues. Best if they did it themselves. Then they own it and are responsible, and need to accept that responsibility, for their decisions based on information they have personally researched.

Not saying it's the totally wrong thing to do but it isn't ideal in my view.

Second on the debt recycling aspect. Merely because it can be done doesn't mean it should. If the other party is going down that route based on second-hand information I feel there is a danger. They need to comprehensively understand their situation and attitude to the share market, risks - of which there are many - and how to deal with matters if and when it doesn't all go according to theory or as shown in wonderful computer simulations and graphs.

Anyone happy to put their hand in their pocket to bail out some obscure dudes who don't thoroughly consider their situation but act on "'advice" which is another form of pub talk? I wouldn't.

Anne11 and Terry_w like this.
  18. skinner84

skinner84 Member

Got ya. Sorry to hijack here but I feel like OP and I are in a similar situation. I have a low income earning partner so I would love to take advantage of franking credits. But at the same time I don't like being invested too much into one market. Would something like 50% VAS/LIC with 50% VTS make sense? Or maybe just VDHG to keep it even simpler (higher MER though of course).

19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A lot of generic suggestions have been made. As you're asking more specific questions, any specific suggestions to your situation might be touching on advice, which should take into account many things about things like age, investments, risk tolerance, earnings, cash etc. You may be better to get professional advice, especially if the amounts are significant.

20. Darwin55

Darwin55 Well-Known Member

If you decide to put this method of debt recycling into practice who is it best to get professional assistance from? Accountant, mortgage broker, financial planner?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia