35years loan from Ubank/NAB

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by hieund85, 15th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

38215 likes this.
  2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Not the first, I recal that La Trobe had a 40 year term many years ago. Not sure what happened to that.

I think a 35 year loan is intended to look like an IO loan without actually being an IO loan. If lenders accept a 35 year term it will have a small positive impact on borrowing power, otherwise no real implications. I wouldn't expect this to be a difference maker.

Incidentally, since 86400 was purchased by NAB and merged into Ubank, brokers that previously have 86400 on their pannel can now write Ubank loans. :)

Terry_w and hieund85 like this.
  3. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

Can run the scenario's yourself through mortgage calculator's too see what difference changing mortgage duration has, has a pretty small diminishing affect.
    It would give more breathing room to a current boom to extend prices higher. Otherwise probably won't provide much support.

Very marginal compared to how much rapid rate rises are crushing borrowing capacity.

4. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Perth > Melbourne > Sydney > London > Sydney
    Interesting. It would make an $800pm difference for me in terms of minimum repayment. As someone in their mid 30s, the 30/35 years really makes little difference to me while the additional $800 per month is relatively substantial

5. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Hmm 35 years is about a 5% improvement. It’s not nothing.

2.5% cash rate inside 12 months is about a 25% deterioration.

6. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Pepper will allow up to 40 years on some of their products currently. I think TMB had a 40 year product for FHBs only a while ago.

I would imagine extended loan terms would be one of a host of things that are being considered. Seeing quite a few changes to lender policy that is favourable e.g. some lenders start to accept COVID payments for self employed, 1 year financials policies, 10% rental income shading instead of 20%, etc.

7. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

I am not suggesting this change can offset the impact of rate rises. Just curious to see if this change will be a trend in the future when we will see 40y loans offerred by many lenders.

8. 38215

38215 Well-Known Member

35/40y terms are big and controversial in Europe.

Assuming the FHB is under 25 and the house a new build - sure. For IPs - sure.

Any other scenario - I guess most people would hope to onsell or use super?