Cost of staging a property

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by KLH, 25th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KLH

KLH Member

I see a great deal of value in staging a property correctly before renting or selling after a renovation. Assuming the furniture doesnt stay in the property, what do you do about the cost of staging, that is, buying furniture, beds, bedspreads, curtains, art etc?

Do you just allow a budget for every renovation?

Do you keep the pieces & pay storage space, or resell in case they're not right for the next property? Do you keep a couch not knowing if it will be the right size for the next property?

How much do you budget for staging?

2. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I pay for staging each time. The quality of the pieces and the many accessories the stylists bring into the property far outweighs the quality of something you would buy yourself and store. I pay around 4k for each job and factor it into my feasability.

Peter P, Coxy89, Ladylord and 4 others like this.
  3. KLH

KLH Member

Thats really interesting to know. Who have you used for styling? So you're renting the pieces? How long do you need to rent them?

4. 380

380 Well-Known Member

cost any where between $2K-$8K depending on what you need!

your local REA would have few companies that they use/recommend.

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

6. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Virtual staging may help get people to view the properyy in the first place but once they get there its completely worthless.

Staging is one of the best value items to get a good result imo

Peter P likes this.
  7. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

But for a rental? I can't say I have heard of that before.

8. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I use Valiant Hire both in Sydney and Brisbane. If you pay for 4 weeks they usually give you an additional 2 weeks free. You can add time if you need it.

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I agree. Great tool to market OTP though.

10. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

We used Valiant Hire for our recent property sale, and whilst I do believe the styling helped contribute to the record price I was a bit disappointed with the stuff that Valiant Hire provided. They provided a glass coffee table that had several chips in it, two mirrored based lamps that also had chips out of them and garden furniture that had cushions that were too small for the chairs.

The property was a 2 bedroom property however we only needed the 1 bedroom package as the property was partly furnished, it cost us $3,000 for 6 weeks.

vtt
    :D

11. Esh

Esh Well-Known Member

I got a quote for $2890 for a 2 bedroom apartment for 6 weeks. That was advantage property styling. Houses would be more and just depending on rooms etc. I think it adds great value.

12. Esh

Esh Well-Known Member

Also- people can tell when it's styled so it's not like you are tricking anyone but buyers love being able to see the space used efficiently and it gives them great ideas and see the potential of a property. If that makes sense

Ladylord, KBHV and Sackie like this.
  13. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yes I'm not certain I'd stage to get a rental listing but definitely to sell. I would hire as not only does it include all the right knick knacks but it includes set up and take down which honestly over a 4 bedroom house is a lot of work.
    They generally do it for a 4-6 wk period

Sackie likes this.
  14. DoubleD

DoubleD Well-Known Member

Get the staging people in before you start the cosmetic renovation. For a quote on staging the property and an idea on the areas you will be staging. They will also be able to give you some free advice on colors materials, and layout.

15. JASA

JASA Well-Known Member

I think the staging costs are outrageous! Cheaper to DIY if you have time, my latest staging cost around $300 it's amazing what you can find in the op shops. I only dressed a bedroom and outdoor living area. Sometimes it's better not to do too much as it can also highlight design flaws.......... My budget.....chair free, couch $50 garage sale, Vase $1.50 Animal Welfare, books Vinnies 50c , coffee table $10 Vinnies, cushions on chair $2 each Salvo's, Cushions on couch $10 each and throw $15 Kmart Total $79. Rug is off cut from new carpet to bedrooms.

Last edited: 14th Sep, 2015
    Beano, PeterCr, KayTea and 5 others like this.
  16. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Loving them cushions very "Selling Houses Australia"

17. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

But you haven't done the karate chop to those cushions! That's thousands and thousands off the price you could get! :p

qak, KayTea and JASA like this.
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Paid $2000 for 1 month
    I organised staging for my villas, staged villa 1, because the family area was a tad to small, by staging it gave the illusion of a well designed, larger villa. I would only do this if I was selling as @Westminster mentioned

However, if selling and the market was very hot, high demand I would probably not consider staging as it would not be necessary IMO.

MTR:)

19. bythebay

bythebay Well-Known Member

Hi MTR, can I ask which company you used? Were you happy with what they did? thanks

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes very happy with company, I am in Perth though, where are you?