300k Specialty

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Inov8ive, 8th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Same with shares- penny stocks can make more gains for investors than blue chip, and often do in the short term. In the long term the cream rises to the top- however does need to assessed on the merits of the market/sub market etc...

KayTea likes this.
  2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.

3. Gim hwee lim

Gim hwee lim Member

Hi mates

I see your point. It is valid.

My brother purchased a 550sqm land in a commission area in Bendigo more than a year ago from the govt for only $53,000. I feel he has nothing much to lose. It can't get any cheaper. It should appreciate upwards over time.

4. THX

THX Well-Known Member

I doubt TMNT would agree with you.

5. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@Gim hwee lim So who's going to rent it while waiting for the CG to kick in ?
    Farmer or Goat / Cow herders :cool:

6. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

I don't expect @TMNT or anyone to agree with me per se. As I said above, "Market growth needs to be assessed on its own merits.
    It is herd thinking to believe that because something is expensive it is inherently good and cheap is inherently bad."

I am not advocating specifically logan, or Mt Druitt, or even Albury. I haven't pushed Logan at all this cycle, and my comment above re Mt Druitt was to observe the growth that has now occurred despite its social background, not to suggest it will now grow more (I think that ship has sailed)

My initial response was to the OP who asked for a positive cash flow option sub 300k. To tick both boxes and achieve low risk and some growth is the challenge. I threw my hat in the ring, its easy for people to say no to all regionals and all outer suburban options and advocate only inner city property but in my view this approach is somewhat myopic. It suits inner city dwelling high income earners and that is totally fine. But for others with tight budgets it is depressing and limiting. In my own experience it is very possible to open one's mind to options outside the square and make profits. When I was 23 in 2003 Sydney was peaking and all my friends were depressed because prices were out of control compared to our young incomes just leaving university. I had been reading books (and somersoft) and knew I could do better if I took counter cyclical action. I bought a cheap property in Beenleigh QLD and refinanced twice with the growth and bought 3 in 12 months and doubled money on my first purchase in 18 months. Prior to that the area hadn't grown for 10 yrs and every Sydney friend I told about my plans said a variation of "don't touch it, it will never grow".

All I am saying is do research and think for yourself, nothing wrong with healthy debate here but don't follow a mass media herd as it is usually too late and despite people's need to feel validated I don't believe you need to choose totally between cash flow and capital gains, to an extent you do but not always and I see it as a bit of a spectrum really.

7. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

"a spectrum" I think that's an awesome way to put it.

8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Most certainly not...that's disparaging remarks...for country towns that is.:p :)

9. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

@sash believes Geelong before Albury. But I found Geelong already out of my range or rather...im a tightarse.

10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

How much are you looking to spend?? Under 270k

11. larrylarry

I spent some time talking to @The Dark Knight and reading up stuff on Albury. Prior to 2012 I think, Albury 'hit the bottom' and it started to rise since 2013. From what I've seen on re.com there hasn't been much CG but yes you can still get more than 6.5% yield. The yield will certainly help me to hold the property long term but not sure about the opportunity costs.

Tony Fleming likes this.
  12. larrylarry

@sash I can have a bigger budget but I am cautious. So yes, I think I am willing to spend up to $350K.

13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Then you can easily buy in Geelong..PM me....