3 townhouse development in VIC

Discussion in 'Development' started by hieund85, 9th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have a corner block in a Western surburb of Melbourne. My ultimate plan is to build three townhouses on the site). However, since it is my first development, I want to do it step by step over a period of time without committing a big chunck of money. The existing house is still in pretty good shape (just need a cheap cosmetic reno). Therefore, I intend to build an unit at the rear (the rear yard is 19m long with 9m street frontage) while keep the exiting house at the front. Rent both of them for 5-10 years then knock down the existing house and build two more. The architect told me it is better to just get a DA to build a double storey 3bed 2bath on the rear yard now so at the end there will be two dwellings on one title. (I should subdivide only if I want to sell either of them which I don't). Then after 5-10 years, I can subdivide the land into 3 lots and knock down the existing house and build two double storey townhouses. I feel his advice makes sense. What do you think? Thanks.

2. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

1. Architect? or drafter? there is a huge difference.
    2. I'd suggest doing what you want to do now - in 5-10 years time the rules might have changed
    3.If building only one now, you will need to also think about the future - make sure what you build now leaves room for what you ultimately want to do
    4.As an option apply for a permit for what you ultimately want to do, and start with building the rear one. You can apply for an extension of time for the permit and potential keep the permit live for around 4-5 years pretty easily
    5.The land area available is for one TH - you might want to find out whether you can actually fit two more on the site.
    6.Master Plan your site so that you have a clear idea of where you are going

Connor and hieund85 like this.