3 br vs 2 br granny flat ?

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by See Change, 27th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

has anyone done a 3 vs 2 br granny flat ?

Pro’s Con’s ?

Cliff

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

You're still limited to 60sqm. You can have a 3 bedder, but it just means everything is smaller. Personally I think 2 bedder is better.

AlbertWT and John_S like this.
  3. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Build it with an attached carpeted garage and call it a 3rd bedroom. Pack 'em in like sardines Clifford.

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

To give the illusion of space while still keeping within the rules, I use the follow designs

1. Open plan kitchen/living
    2. 2.7m high ceilings
    3. Having living open out to undercover alfresco that is at least 3.5x3.5

Target market are singles or couples or couples with 1 small child.

Pets are always considered (and usually accepted)

Some people like to build a garage with internal access (depending of certifier - some say yes and some say no).

I've found that 3 bedders do command more, but to achieve that rules are heavily bent, something I don't like doing myself.

AlbertWT likes this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A 3 br doesn't leave a lot of space. Our 60 sqm place is what I would consider barely adequate for a 2 br place. The bathroom with laundry facilities is a squeeze. The living area isn't too bad.

Advice we received from our REA was to make the second br small so that it only appeals to families, not to share groups.

In a good area you want to make it appealing to the demographic. IMO trying to squeeze in a bedroom would make it less desirable.

AlbertWT likes this.
  6. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Would have to be very cleverly designed to fit 3 beds in 60sqm.

Only way i see possible is doing it sneakly by adding a garage and putting in walls later. Advice i have recieved from pms is dont skimp on really small bedroom sizes and living rooms/kitchen to compact more in.

7. Fabs

Fabs Active Member

Although you can fit 3 bedrooms in a 60sqm granny flat the result is that rooms become too small and cramped. Have you checked if your property can fit a dual occupancy? With that you can exceed the 60sqm limit and you may even be able to subdivide the site later.

8. See Change

Gone with a 2 bedder .

Cliff

9. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Who are you using Cliff?

10. See Change

Ended up going with Granny flat approvals , simply because of the consistently positive reviews ( and track record of feedback on the forum ) . I've never seen such consistently positive reviews about any company before and it all sounded believable . They presented well when we saw them .

Signed last Friday , survey tomorrow . Already knew where we wanted things to go and they have a plan which fits , though just needs to be shortened and fattened up a bit . They were offering a faster time frame which didn't hurt .

Cliff

11. Manic

Manic Well-Known Member

Have also used grannyflatapprovals . Good mob - you won't be disappointed.

12. AlbertWT

AlbertWT Well-Known Member

Does it mean if you apply for a dual occupancy permit, you can build bigger property?

13. Fabs

Fabs Active Member

In most cases the answer is "Yes". The size of a dual occupancy is generally limited by FSR - the bigger the land area, the bigger the development. However, the rules for dual occupancies are more strict than the rules for granny flats. You will need to check if the zoning, size area, site frontage and other applicable controls allow you to apply for a dual occupancy in your land. The quality of the design is also much more important in a dual occupancy, so you will need a much more experienced designer to ensure a successful outcome that you would need in a granny flat project.

AlbertWT likes this.