2nd Tier Lenders and Loan Deferral due to Virus

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Carol M, 26th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Carol M

Carol M Well-Known Member

Hi, are 2nd tier lenders being as generous as big 4 with home loan deferral when rent is reduced due to virus?
    Or are we soon to hear of landlords being foreclosed or charged high penalty interest rates if unable to keep up loan payments due to rent loss.
    Just asking as have been considering such lenders as a last resort for future purchase, but maybe too risky now, heading into a financial downturn, with severity unknown?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

If you are that negative about the market, why are you still buying?

Lindsay_W likes this.
  3. Carol M

hah, had hoped my first reply would be less negative, and more factual. Not surprised though :) Just trying to do some due diligence re banks in turbulent times.

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

If you are looking at Liberty as an example, unless you have a defined exit strategy window of 1 to 3 years DONT, the capacity to exit may become sticky, because if you reason to use them is driven by serviceability.......you got no where to exit to

Pepper is okish, but same applies

Firstmac, I dont have any concerns about

Latrobe will also be okish, but be mindful the majority of their funds come from mum and dad local investors

ta
    rolf

5. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Pepper's reply to loan deferral application was even faster than the big ones. A few questions asked during the phone call and approved!

6. Carol M

Thanks, so to answer my own question: it seems from Peppers web-site they DO offer deferred loan payments now with interest capitalised similar to the big 4. Encouraging to see, as I thought they may have refused such help. Of course there are other risks in going with them, but at least on this score they seem to be willing to help.

7. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

I don't understand why anyone would be basing their decision on what lender to use on the fact they can/can't offer you a deferral on repayments :confused: If you think you're going to need a deferral, prior to even applying, then I would suggest not getting the loan in the first place.

8. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Does pepper approve loan deferral? Very surprised, I heard they only said to waive some loan fee that is all..

9. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

What is the actual issue with say, Pepper/ Liberty?

Do they randomly change interest rate- that means increase without reason? I heard good an bad stories. Despite being small player, I wanna find real reason. For ex, how they perform compared to Macquarie?

10. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

As an example one of them recently put up interest rates by 0.9% on some approved applications...

11. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

What was the reason behind? They can’t do it randomly??

12. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

why not?

13. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

I assume risk and they have a captive market...the majority who use these lenders are doing it for serviceability or other limiting reasons...have a read of some of the old posts here or on Somersoft about what happened in the gfc...plenty of fore warning from some of the brokers around the risks of using these lenders and going in with your eyes wide open...

JohnPropChat likes this.
  14. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Yes, they approved it for 3 months.

15. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

I have no intention to use them. My borrowing power almost doubled with them, so really surprised the way they operate.

I dont think GFC type scenario is valid. Most banks fully dried at that time. Now 10 yrs they are mature. Still there should be some hidden stuffs.

One of my friends who was with Bigs, got 1% interest rate hike because he was considered as high risk. So one/ two examples are not adequate to make conclusion. Happened in 2017, he was forced to fixed in otherwise..

16. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Peppers and LIbertys of the lender world have their place. Commonly used by three groups of people
    1. Can't get finance with mainstream lenders due to servicing calc. Lenders of last resort so to speak.
    2. Can't get finance due to bad credit history. No choice elsewhere.
    3. Tricky/non-standard deals that the mainstream lenders push to their Commercial lending departments.

Since they don't play by the usual rule book, they can pretty much do whatever they want and that is why Brokers highly recommend there be an exit strategy when using these lenders.

Your friend could easily refinance to another big bank if he/she met the requirements of the first one, no reason why they won't be able to move to a different lender assuming all else stayed the same (income, debt, vals etc). If you friend was with Pepper and they hiked the rate by 1% then he/she is stuck until they can meet the lending criteria of mainstream lenders.

Jana and Closet like this.