2nd Property Feasibility

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by TommoAus, 20th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TommoAus

TommoAus Active Member

Hi all,

I hope that you are having a lovely weekend.

I’m turning to the brilliant individuals on this forum once more for insight. Having trawled through the threads and unfortunately experienced no replies from my first broker, I’m now eager to answer the questions myself. I of course am in the market now for a new broker.

I’m attempting to ascertain how much I can borrow for a 2nd property based on my circumstances below -

- Salary: 170K
    - Monthly expenses: $3K
    - Non Property Debt: HECS - $10K, happy to pay this out.

Currently own 1x home that is rented out in QLD - around $640K owing, property value of $970K-$1M. Property has been owned for nearly 12mnths. The home is positively geared by about $200 a year.

I’d love to stop renting the place I’m currently in and instead buy a second property to live in. This 2nd property would be based in Sydney I expect.

Any insights on my maximum borrowing capacity / how to figure it out would be amazing. I must admit, I’m a little confused.

Thanks
    TommoAus

2. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Would need a little more detail, but on this income options will exist for borrowing. Looks like the equity is there too, so it will largely be about working out your exact budget (advice/bank required) and then going from there.
    Accessing as much equity out will be helpful (at 80 ltv ideally), so run a couple Val’s and see where they land. Often a 10% spread in Val’s on the same property that could help get a little extra out.

3. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

I think first step is to find a broker to run the numbers for you with different lenders yo identify what you can do with your borrowing capacity and also your equity/savings.

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Are you looking to relocate to Sydney ?

ta
    rolf

5. TommoAus

TommoAus Active Member

Hi all,

Appreciate the help here.

I’m down here in Syd at the moment.

what could some hypotheticals look like in your opinion?

I’d be aiming to pick something up for 1.2-1.3M I think.

Cash to hand is about $50K

6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Ignoring serviceability for a minute ...........

say 1250 k buy, needs 54 k costs + 3 k sundries

20 % deposit would be 250 k + 57 = 307 k

equity available on existing assume 985 val 80 % of that is 788 minus 640 owing leaves 148 k to go towards the purchase.

So LMI will be needed for the new purchase ( unless you can get a family guarantee or qualify for some industry LMI waiver)

Say an 88 % lend for LMI premium sweet spot

means a 12 % deposit = 150 k + costs at 57 = 207

Leaves you short, because to have a chance to meet borrow cap, you need to pay out the HECS, only a small debt but the approx 1400 a month repayment will kill your servicing

Not enough data and lots of assumptions, but I suspect you will run out of servicing at around 850 to 900

At 875 the approx Debt to income ratio would be north of 7.5, which many lenders wont touch

ta
    rolf

NickClunes likes this.