2nd Hand Car Market before/after 2030

Discussion in 'Politics' started by balwoges, 7th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Pensioners in Norway will cop it.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

50% of new cars sold, not all cars sold.

I think it's a bad idea to be buying new cars now given the changes coming... but then I've always thought it was a bad idea to buy new cars :p

Angel and Blacky like this.
  3. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

"Controlled burn"

datto likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I have never bought new either - but research has indicated there is barely any difference in the price of a new, versus 2 year old, Toyota Hybrid ... so I might as well go new and get the latest technology

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    gman65 likes this.
  5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

From what I have seen they are very well looked after in Norway..
    [​IMG]

datto likes this.
  6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

We all know Government rarely leads
    Private enterprise will (maybe with Govco grants)
    Shopping center's should have solar panels to facilitate the charging ;)

I concur, the majority here do not fall into the category of "most people" :cool:

Trouble is a chunk of the "most people" have little foresight, these are the people likely forget to plug in their electric vehicle (not that they could afford one).
    When they end up stopped on the M4/Western ring road in peak hour traffic causing congestion and delays it ruins many other people's day o_O

I am all for electric vehicles, not from an environmental view, but more a performance aspect :D

Too often we forget that there is the manufacturing and disposal cost that really needs to be factored in to the environmental cost of a vehicle, not just the daily running :)

7. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Your hate for the Labor party is farcical.

The Australian

TSK likes this.
  8. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I'm amazed at the flexibility of the LNP to shove so many feet into their own mouths. Lib after Lib after Lib talking up electric vehicles!

Lizzie likes this.
  9. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

I plan on keeping all my 10+ y/o cars for several years.. by then they will have depreciated to nothing anyhow. One is/will be even more of a classic, and the rarity/uniqueness of a petrol engine will keep its value (which has already gone up 50% over the last 5 years)

10. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

Can I still drive my 60's model V8 ?

Will this be grandfathered too ? :)

11. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Motorists would save $27.5 billion in petrol and diesel costs over two decades.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...e-motorists-27-5-billion-20190410-p51coz.html

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

13. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

That is what our governments are **** scared of, but afraid to admit publicly...the reduction in fuel excise will leave a massive deficit in the budget.

Lizzie and Stoffo like this.
  14. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

This has been discussed in government circles for a while now. They know that electric vehicles are the inevitable future and have started to plan for kilometer based charges. I'm wondering about the privacy implications of this.

15. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Oh, so just yet another tax :confused:
    May as well give 90% of my wages to Govco now :rolleyes:

16. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

It's actually the way to go if you're a proponents of user pays approach. Guess it all how you look at it, you see taxes, I see services.

LibGS likes this.
  17. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Next to nil in my opinion, if you trust a corp with your data privacy you should have no issue with government. Actually shouldn't really matter is it's just an odometer check with zone charges for cdb.

18. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

Mercedes-Benz has confirmed it will stop producing petrol and diesel cars by 2039 as part of an ambitious plan to significantly ramp up production of electric vehicles.
    Toyota has nominated 2050 as the year it will stop making cars powered by fossil fuels.

damm it, i should never have sold that HQ. forget about the 253ci, soon we'll be talking about 240v

19. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Its not like these transitions need to happen over night. "Many" people own 2 cars, and at least one of them would be suitable to be replaced with an EV right now - have the town car as electric, and the less used car as whatever.

I'll be looking at range and capability. Until at least 1 of my kids start driving, I only need 1 car, so that car "needs" to do everything. My eldest kid has 5 years before she can get her learners license, and EV may be on the cards then. (Aside: will there even be any point in teaching her how to drive a manual car at that point...?)

the environmental thing is interesting. We dont rate combustion engined cars on the full life of their power consumption or disposal (or anything for that mater - otherwise fuel and transport would be WAY more expensive). Surely an EV only needs to be a bit better, or be able to control pollution a bit better than we do now? (eg progressively move off coal power, get better at disposal, more home solar panels and battery storage, etc)

Cheers,
    Inertia

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. My teen is on her L's, so will get my current combustion broomstick with 250,000 on the clock (always serviced) and that will "do her" for a couple of years while at Uni - and I'll get a new hybrid. Two years later, scrap in the other combustion (diesel heading for 300,000ks) for a full electric.

Only problem is - there aren't really any decent hybrid SUV's on the market ... I don't mind the RAV4 but hubby doesn't like the look.

Last edited: 16th May, 2019
    inertia likes this.