2bdr to 3bdr

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by FrankM, 27th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. FrankM

FrankM New Member

hi, new to this, so...

I'm looking to buy this apartment Sydney CBD which is a 2 bedroom + study
    and want to turn the study into a 3rd bedroom. Seems to be a good size with windows.
    See the attached floorplan.

Wondering if anyone with experience sees any issues with this?
    What would I need to do to officially make this a 3rd bedroom?
    Would I need approval from council/ Strat mgt?
    How much would it cost for the work and material and legal fees?

thank you for any advise

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wonder what is stopping someone calling it a bedroom?

Someone could certainly use it as a bedroom, surely.

[d4rk-fr3d], Firefly99 and AxeLy like this.
  3. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

Hi FrankM,

I fully agree with wylie on this. You can certainly use it as bedroom, especially so when it is good size.

My pal bought a 2-bedroom + 1 study [approx. 3m x 2m] apartment in Melbourne CBD. He put in a single-storage bed , and guess what, his property manager rented it out as a "3-bedroom" apartment.

4. FrankM

FrankM New Member

right, no issue in "using" it as 3rd bedroom, but to get a good valuation on it down the track I'd have to go through the proper procedures to officially call it a 3bdr, I assume?

5. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

The only thing stopping it being called a 3 br is there's no built in robes. This wouldn't be hard to do, or else get a free standing wardrobe and attach it to the wall

6. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

You don't need a robe to legally classify it as a robe though. I am surprised this is being marketed as a 2 bedder.

7. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

I reckon it's a different matter between renting out and selling/official valuation.
    My pal did try to sell last year. However, the entire building consisted of 2-bedroom+study, and 1-bedroom+study. Floor plans were standardized. Valuation was based on neighbouring units no matter whether he termed it a 2-bedder+study or 3-bedder.

8. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I assume part of the wall is glass and just needs filling in? Add a pax wardrobe from ikea. Install a smoke detector (if needed in your state). Easy. It’s bigger than the master bedroom! Scribble out ‘office’ on the plan and write ‘bedroom’.

9. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Planning will have the correct details on the dwelling and it's illegal to advertise otherwise.

@FrankM contact the planning department of the council and ask what the official classification is (REA may have made a mistake?) and ask them how to go about getting it reclassified, if possible. May have something to do with min room sizes I suspect.

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We made some changes to our development and the "media room" was renamed "Bed 4". BCC made us change it back to "media room". I am sure some media rooms will have beds in them.

When we come to advertise them for sale down the track I assume we will not be able to call them four bedrooms. Before we get to that stage, I'll make enquires to find out just what it is that is the problem.

11. FrankM

FrankM New Member

for valuation/ refinance have to get proper council approval I believe, otherwise banks won't accept it and can't advertise as 3 bdr either... I did make initial enquiry with council planner and they were also surprised it wasn't a 3 bdr already, since the study is bigger than the 2nd bedroom, has windows, etc, but they said to submit a DA, since there may be specifics reason for the current classification
    strata management said the same

that little difference in classification is a 400k difference in property value

12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

It may be straight fwd to get the occupancy cert updated or a battle. I see no obstacles to size, a window (mandatory for a bedroom) etc. One issue could be opening a window for ventilation IDK ? . Could be a strata issue with room use to limit occupant numbers. These sorts of issues are common to independent living accomodation for example or to limit qty of persons based on original density approvals. They only sought council approval for 2br because they have rules which limit occupancy or qty of person permitted to reside etc and this will impact waste, services and parking etc Application to council will be a strata matter

Could be a very simple cost and it could also get absolutely zero support and be a battle. I would make strata enquiries first. But they wont be at all supportive prior to purchase I suspect and council wont be much hep toa prospective buyer. A local TP may give better advice esp the one who assisted design approval !!! (Check the council DA history)