Your Money Your Call Property Axed

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Coota9, 8th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Not sure how many on the forum tune into Sky Business and YMYC Property with Margaret Lomas but this program has been cancelled along with Property Success which Margaret also hosts..

Margaret Lomas

2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Wow. Wonder why .... maybe 'retiring'?

3. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Definitely think it was forced upon her going by her Facebook posts..

4. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Disappointing to hear - always download the podcast and usually a good chat about property with good guests.:(

RS Gumby likes this.
  5. Lawrence Barnes

Lawrence Barnes Well-Known Member

No loss there in my opinion, Margaret's ideas of good areas to invest are lousy. Not that long ago she was trying to get us all to purchase in Deception Bay in QLD!

I used to be part of her company and i can tell you it don't work.

Gladys likes this.
  6. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Don't have facebook and could not find anything about this with google.

What does it say ?

Occassionally watch the show (prefer Your Property Empire) and would be sorry to see them go.

Thought they would have been popular and viable.

7. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

Ho
    In my experience Destiny don't tell you where to invest. They provide information and eduction to allow you do your own research and make your own decisions with some guidance. Worked really well for me but I suppose it's horses for courses?

8. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

@Tonibell
    Check link in Post 1

9. Lawrence Barnes

Lawrence Barnes Well-Known Member

They do both, but like you say mostly tutoring. Glad it worked for you, I was not so lucky myself. I now follow a new strategy which is working.

Skinman likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Sky and all media companies live and die by viewer ratings. Subscription TV can tell exact live number of viewers and repeat watches.

Costs of production v's viewers. Viewers count to adverts and watched content.

These shows can be very limited in audience appeal and may have a high turn off factor if you arent a 100% property person. Often its not the number of initial viewers its the number after 5, 10 and 15mins that kill a show. Drags people into the next show etc.

11. datageek

datageek Well-Known Member

Lomas' performance review conducted mid-2017...

- 13 different prediction reports found
    - 122 markets recommended by Lomas
    - Recommendations made from 2011-02 to 2015-03
    - From 2 to 6 years growth results
    - Lomas' avg. p.a. growth rate 5.43%
    - Only 46% of these beat the national average growth rate for the same periods

A random suburb picker would have done better.

Gladys, Greyghost, jimmy and 2 others like this.
  12. Skinman

Hi DSR,

What criteria do you use to determine a “market recommendation” when conducting your performance reviews?

Thanks

Magnet likes this.
  13. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    The show was pretty hopeless... it was class 101 stuff and a destiny book-a-thon most the time.

The financial planner version is also in trouble. The guy on that has just been outed as a bit of a fraudster by the royal commission. I believe its been canned as well...or at the very least he wont be hosting it any longer.

I wonder how Chris Gray and his living off equity model is working out for him in the post APRA environment? I don't know, but I don't see how it has any sustainability seeing as its reliant on unrestricted access to IO and unrestricted access to cash out, both of which are far from givens, these days...

I think a lot of these TV guru's have been given way too much credit ( excuse the pun) and arent particularly impressive at all....

Last edited: 25th Apr, 2018
    chylld likes this.
  14. datageek

It could be labelled or referred to as a "hot spot", "tip" or "growth location". It could appear in the expert's email newsletter, podcast, website or TV show. It could appear in a quote in the media, for example in API magazine or YIP mag or a newspaper. The media often ask high profilers for their hot tips.

API magazine used to run a "Hot 100" issue each year. Lomas was a regular contributor. The brief was always the same, "where should investors be buying right now for big gains over the next year"? Or words to that effect.

The recommendation could be also be taken from a live presentation. Margaret Lomas regularly speaks at the Property Expos for example. I've got a photo of her on stage from October 2012. In the background is her power point presso with the following words...

Shepparton
    Ballarat
    Bendigo
    Morwell

Underneath them is an image of flames. Ergo - hot spots. Clever huh.

She usually picks 2 to 5 suburbs from each state that meet her criteria. The remainder of the list for the other states included...

Blacktown NSW
    Branxton NSW
    Singleton NSW
    Cessnock NSW
    Muswellbrook NSW
    Toowoomba QLD
    Gladstone QLD
    Rockhampton QLD
    Mackay QLD
    Port Noarlunga SA
    Port Adelaide SA
    Hackam SA
    Huntfield Heights SA
    Christie Downs SA
    Mitchell Park SA

Last time I checked this portfolio's performance was November 2016. Back then it was a period of 4 years since the recommendations were made. The average per annum growth rate for the entire portfolio was less than 1% up to Nov 2016.

The greatest skill these high profilers have is in marketing themselves. People love her despite her appalling track record. Now that's what I call expertise. But it's in PR not PI.

luckyone and Danyool like this.
  15. Skinman

Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked is that I used to watch her shows and they had features such as “town spotlight” although a lot of surburbs or markets where mentioned in these segments (generally 3 per show) they weren’t actually tips or recommendations as some of them she was actually advising to avoid.

16. datageek

I'm careful about the context in which a suburb is mentioned, the types of properties suggested and the date the recommendation was made. I keep a record of all the source details.

On the subject of places to avoid, in the Brisbane roadshow of 2nd April 2014, Lomas recommended investors stay out of Sydney since it was "overheated".

Sydney had broad-based double digit growth over 2014, 2015 and 2016. Investors could have almost picked any suburb in Sydney and come out a winner. The alternative markets she listed under-performed the national average growth rate. The opportunity cost was about quarter of a million dollars over 3 years for a $500k property. Even some of her "avoid" advice is bad.

17. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

Margaret's new web based TV show Called My Property TV is starting in August I have been told and she is hosting a webinar on the 8th August.

18. datageek

Hamish and Andy's True Stories season 2 also kicks off in August. Hard to decide which one to watch - one is useless to property investors while the other is really funny.

Danyool likes this.
  19. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

If you had to pick your favourite podcast which one would it be:
    1. Margaret Lomas
    2. Michael Yardney
    3. Property Couch
    4.,Hot Spotting
    5. Bushy Martin
    Are there any others out their?

20. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    They are like taxi's who have been uber'd. The world has passed them by. You never hear these people talk about credit. Its just property cycles and growth. All speculation. This makes each of them as ill equipped as the other to cater to a generation of post APRA investors.

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2018