Shallow People

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 28th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Went to a few parties over Christmas but I keep meeting shallow people... :( I am perfect:D

Here we go, 5 traits that separate shallow people from real people/deep people.

5 Traits That Separate Shallow People from Deep Ones

We can have some fun with this... are you shallow??? or have one of these traits.... damn if you have 5....:p

Extract from article....

So being a deep person means having profound insights and understanding, while being a shallow person indicates a superficial understanding and lack of insight.

So what do we really mean when we describe people as shallow or deep?

Here are five ways deep people behave differently from shallow people:

1. Deep people see Past appearances

2. Deep people don’t believe everything they hear or read

3. Deep people listen more than they speak

4. Deep people think through the consequences of their behavior

5. Deep people try to get past their egos

Last edited: 28th Dec, 2017
  2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

This might make me a shallow person, but to me it seems like one of those self-congratulating posts that makes everyone think that they're a deep person.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I don't see it this way at all. That is why I said have fun with it

I rarely meet people that listen, do you? Most people want to talk about themselves and what they do etc.

I am a good listener, but get turned off when its not reciprocated.... does that make them shallow????

Sackie and ellejay like this.
  4. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I’d like to be shallow. Shallow people are much happier as life’s injuries don’t make a prolonged impression on them...

dmb1978 and KayTea like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Listen & silent are the same but different. (quote c/- Salvos @ Chatswood).

I can relate to points 1-4 but ego? Me? Never! :oops:

6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Ego...is not a dirty word.

7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Shallow looking people can be deep if you know them enough. If anyone dismissed them as shallow, who is it really who can't look pass appearances?

Shallow or deep, everyone can be both.

Sackie, Zoolander and MTR like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

your right

EN710 likes this.
  9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

As always, ask hubby :D:p

10. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

This is both true and untrue. At some point, they will realise the sheer amount of money left on the table.

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I consider myself pretty shallow as I can't be fagged with most issues others carry on with. I'm very often off in my own little lala world.

Judging people by their looks. Okay - sure I do. Not reinforced by sitting opposite hubby's female boss at the work Christmas lunch. He works a very middle age, blokey environment. I had to bite my tongue not to ask her to to put the damn puppies away - sheesh - nothing much left to the imagination and thought she was going to take my eyeball out ... combined with bleach blonde hair and plumped duck lips and my impressions weren't very high.

The level of conversation indicated strongly that she didn't get the job because of her knowledge and intelligence.

Thank goodness they have to wear frumpy hi-viz at work or the distractions could be lethal.

Angel, ellejay, Sackie and 5 others like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

LOL

.... and who could forget shallow Hal, with Jack Black and Gwen Poultry

[​IMG]

13. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

The move away from being shallow can only start with self awareness of your shallow traits. If they are working for you, fine, if not, responsibility is what it takes to change them.

MTR likes this.
  14. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Actually the opposite, shallow people are bothered by, and at the effect of things outside their sphere of influence and this is linked to their control issues.

Shallow people allow everything to bother them. Who is too fat, who is wearing the wrong pants, who makes money doing something the shollow person has labelled as not ok, Who is thinking something they shouldn’t be thinking......

Deeper people view and let go without putting a meaning to it. You can be happiest when you are not at the effect of the behaviour of others - especially when it’s out of your control and influence.

Shallow people use labels and cartoons to communicate when they don’t like something. that’s because there is really nothing else they can do about it :)

15. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

People can engage in the ‘mean girl’ manner you describe and also be bothered, they move onto their next target forgetting the previous and their worries tend not to scratch their surface, hence their shallowness.

Your response assumes shallow people engage in self reflection. I would argue they don’t and that’s a huge reason why they are shallow.

This is just my opinion of course...

16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Who am I to judge whether people are shallow or not?

I have much better things to think about.
    Marg

lowIQ, D.T., ellejay and 2 others like this.
  17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

My perception of shallow people are a lot of the 'arty' people that Hubby is involved with due to his performing in musical theatre. They are not all shallow, but there are a fair few who are. It's all about looks & who's performing in what & bolstering up each other. You can't have an honest conversation about anything to do with a production in case you step on the wrong person's toes and they seem to be extremely 'clicky'. I find that I have absolutely nothing in common with most of them at all.

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

On a re-read, what I said may have been taken the wrong way. Doesn't worry me in the slightest as to a woman's size ... my friends come in all shapes and sizes and we have a hoot catching up and talking everything from work to investing to kids to holidays.

It was more that her "assets" weren't small, but were constantly falling out of her dress and I could see (more like was confronted) right down her rather skimpy bra ... not very appropriate, as the boss, for a work lunch with a bunch of middle ages blokes and their wives.

I'd feel the same if it were a male boss wearing his shirt open to the navel with "nothing to imagine" skin tight jeans

If feeling irritation at such makes me shallow - then I'm shallow

wylie likes this.
  19. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I think those characteristics define intelligence more than shallowness.

I think every body is shallow. Especially us investors who put so much importance in money.

I say embrace your shallowness rather than try and kid yourself that you are a snow flake completely original and seperated from the foibles that humanise the rest of us.

People are one step above the birds who collect shiny stuff.

We are all basic. We want security, significance and care. Whether you get that security by having 2 million in the bank or by your family's care or your friendships or whatever you still have the same shallow simple need at its root.

Whether you get significance from your sports car or from the praises people give you or you give yourself by donating to charity, again its all the same simple shallow need being fulfilled.

We all just do stuff because it makes us feel better than other stuff.

Truly deep people are the complicated ones who engage in self abuse to appease the voices or the emotional damage caused by previous trauma only to find this path leads to more hurt so they seek isolation etc... etc... etc...

Point is deep complexity is a pain in the ass. Live shallow. Do stuff because it makes u feel good.

Momentum, EN710 and Kassy like this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm not shallow but if you don't live in the Eastern hub...i do make exceptions on a case by case basis. :oops:

ellejay and MTR like this.