QLD Brisbane Property 2017

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Steven Ryan, 1st Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 13th May, 2018
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

No developer would seriously build any more apartments in the next few years. However when buyers are accessing land NOW, and not building, it tells me that they will eventually build in the future. This can be seen as a positive sign for future continued construction and the expectation that more and more immigrants and students intend coming here in the long term. I would think this is a good signal for the economy.

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'm actually not sure B (expectation of immigration and students arriving) is causing A (purchase of land in Brisbane) in this case. I think it's a case that people think Brisbane will be like Sydney or Melbourne and land banking as land in Sydney and Melbourne has gone up. It's worth just having money in Brisbane in case.... if it works out, great. If it doesn't, the worst I expect we'll see is a flat market as Brisbane is still very affordable if you compare it to Sydney. There is still a lot of land around Brisbane though and it can expand easily, unlike Sydney.

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

yeah, but no one is going to build high-rises out in the boonies. Remember the recent BCC have stated that 90% of all new development will be infill. Hence developers cant keep building in the outer burbs much longer. Surely "they" wouldn't have bought it at all if there was no chance of growth in the future. Would you be land banking just any old place on a whim (outside China) or would you be pretty sure it would make you money. If that thought is followed through, then surely it would be more cost effective and less stressful to place their spare $$$$ in a Caribbean or Swiss bank account.

Whitecat likes this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Remember that sales pitch evening presentation we attended a few years ago? Suggesting the river bank near Hamilton will one day be lined with luxurious high rises for wealthy Asians to live in, pollution-free?

Whitecat likes this.
  6. Gockie

Sounds great! I read on this forum that there's been another annual tax that's just been put on for international investors though. Extra holding costs...

Edit: it seems to be extra stamp duty on purchase. Not too bad...
    Qld slugs foreign buyers with new property tax

Last edited: 1st Jan, 2017
  7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Exactly. They aren't going to pay that tax if there isn't something in it

8. big max

big max Well-Known Member

9. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

I dont nesecarily agree with the lots of land available statement.
    Briabane is surrounded by mountain ranges , flood plains , mangroves, the bay
    Usable land is not what it appears, check out the satelite image for a good look

Blueskies, Whitecat and Angel like this.
  10. Gockie

Just look northwards towards Caboolture and south between Logan and Gold Coast.

11. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Agree there is considerable land parcels north to Caboolture and south between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. However neither are in Brisbane and travel times are long and getting longer.

Whitecat likes this.
  12. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

13. Gockie

In my mind I think you are thinking small.... Ignore the actual council areas. Those areas really are part of Brisbane, like it or not. Like Penrith, Liverpool, Richmond (NSW) and Campbelltown... They are still in Sydney.

14. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Agree, I am "from Sydney". Thing is people from Brisbane don't think that way about the surrounding areas.

It's kind of like why the supermarket closes at 5pm on Saturdays, or there is no daylight savings, or why you cannot buy a car on a Sunday, or...they are just different here.

Blueskies and Whitecat like this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Springfield, although out west, isn't way out west like the other side of Ipswich. It is actually rather civilised, even if it is hotter in Summer than North Lakes. It is about the same distance from the CBD as Beenleigh but only about 2/3 as far away as Caboolture.

Sorry Gockie, my friend, but Brisbane will never be "like" Sydney. I haven't seen you buying up big near Caboolture or in the outer parts of Logan. The GC and Bisbane will ultimately join up in my lifetime, but I cant see Caboolture and the Sunshine Coast doing the same any time this century.

Jack Chen likes this.
  16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Who considers places like Caboolture, Elimbah, Bribie Island, Waterford, Beaudesert (Yarrabilba), Rosewood or Boonah to be parts of Brisbane?

17. Gockie

Agree. There is a lot of land even south of Caboolture. Personally buying in Brisbane I would choose to buy either closer in, or near beaches or the bay. :)

Logan and Gold Coast will join up, and I agree, Sunshine Coast will remain separate from Brisbane for a very long time still. It's just too far away.

Sydney, I'd say the Illawarra and Central Coast are starting to be the outskirts of Sydney from a practical viewpoint. Plenty of people commute from these areas to jobs in Sydney. My boss commutes from Newcastle and I think that's nuts. But he does it. Personally I couldn't do that.

18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Not me :D.

Whitecat likes this.
  19. Gockie

Just re-reading what people wrote... North of Caboolture is a different proposition to the south of it. But in my mind, "Brisbane" still can expand, there's not the same land shortages as Sydney has. Sure, you are going further out, but apart from going higher density, that's how cities grow.

20. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Other than a small area of land between Ormeau and Pimpama urban sprawl already stretches from Brisbane to Tweed Heads.
    Give it 5 years and the infill of new estates will create a really large urban area.
    Spare a thought for the local Koala population though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.