Gay marriage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ed Barton, 23rd Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Gay marriage?

Poll closed 2nd Sep, 2017.
  1. Yes

56 vote(s)
    62.2%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. I'd vote yes, but can't be bothered filling out the form

10 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. I'd vote no, but can't be bothered filling out the form

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I am a supporter of the Gay community; I have Gay relatives and couple of friends who are Gay as well.

I honestly believe that a plebiscite would carry a yes vote for them..

BUT: the LBGT community have turned this whole issue on its head; originally their supporters came out and started saying that to run a plebiscite would result in hateful speech and actions from the anti-Gay and anti-Gay marriage crowds, but this has not turned out to be the case at all;

The LBGT community have turned into a mob of bullies whereby anyone who disagrees with Gay Marriage - even thought they might still support Gay people as a group - gets attacked, demonised and so on.

They are destroying their own cause on this issue.

I think that now; a lot of folks will move into the "can't be bothered" group on the postal vote.

Most folks don't care anymore, and are sick to death of the Pollies spending a large chunk of their week arguing over this, rather than fixing the Countrie's economic issues.

Shazi, DowntownBlock, TMNT and 2 others like this.
  3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

The government should just direct everyone to this poll - no need for a postal vote at all!

pwt, spludgey, chylld and 1 other person like this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I don't see where the LGBT community have turned into a mob of bullies but I guess after so many years of having to hide their sexuality and being shunned by family, church and much of society, they feel the need to push for this change.

I actually see the church people as being more pushy. I know people who still will tell me there are no gays in their church and if someone comes out, they are counselled and helped to go straight. How 18th Century...

What I don't understand is how those people who are worried they'll be forced to provide a service (florist, marriage celebrants) feel they might be forced to perform a service when they prefer not to. How is that any different to what happens now. Nobody holds a gun to the head of a florist who isn't interested in the business.

Wouldn't it be like asking for quotes from three builders. The one who doesn't really want the job simply doubles his quote, knowing he wont get the work, but if he does, he's making a huge profit.

Is there any reason to think the government is going to force a florist or marriage celebrant to work for a gay couple if they prefer not to?

What about venue hire? I doubt many venues would turn away business just because the couple is gay. I do wonder if the general community feel that a gay marriage celebration might end up looking like the Gay and Lesbian madi gras parade and that is what they don't want in their venue?

Surely it is time for society to move on, realise this is "normal" and just like many other "wrongs" in the past, this too shall be set right and people can live without having fight over their desire to have the same rights as everyone else.

There's plenty of more important things to fight about. Gays being allowed to marry isn't going to stop the world turning. It might just make the world a little happier.

Angel, Burnhi, Lightie and 4 others like this.
  5. Ed Barton

This is not a plebiscite. It's an expensive survey that is designed to get a no. I'm inclined to abstain. I don't want the right to marry under these circumstances.

Stop the fags - 'Distressing' poster a 'disturbing trend' in same-sex marriage debate

That was always Tony Turnbull's intention. Those that can be bothered will be the religious cranks.

Burnhi, LibGS, Pumpkin and 2 others like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I dispute the question. Is it really about marriage or are the pollies too spineless to raise it as an equality issue?

There are many Acts of Parliament which need to be changed to afford equality to same sex couples as they benefit married/defacto couples whereas changing the Marriage Act knocks off the equality issue without the effort.

7. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I'm not gay so it doesn't affect me. I will vote yes because they want to get married, and it will not change my life whatsoever so why would I vote no?
    I feel like it's similar to the black segregation, I'm too young to have ever lived through those times but I've seen in movies etc, black people not allowed to shop in the white shops, not allowed to use white toilets etc. even inter racial marriages were illegal at some point, which just seems so crazy. I think we will look back at the gay marriage ban and think how insane our country was for being so backwards in such a progressive time.

Ems, spludgey, Blacky and 2 others like this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The law doesn't prevent you from marrying a person, provided they're of another gender.

9. Bayview

There is plenty of video and written evidence on FB, Twit-sphere, Sin-stagram, Youtube, etc.

Not just the LBGT; but even the Pollies.

Let google be your friend.

T.A has always advocated a plebiscite and still does.

10. wylie

I'm not interested in seeking out that sort of thing. Those that want to seek it out will do so and make their voices heard. Mainstream TV, newspaper etc is what most of us see and hear.

I don't see it in my daily life.

11. wylie

I believe most polls show that the majority of Australians are happy to run with changing the rules to allow gay marriage. It's not going to hurt anyone.

Those who don't want to marry someone of their own sex can make their own choices, but don't get in the way of someone else's choices.

Ems and Blacky like this.
  12. Ed Barton

<deleted content>

A plebiscite is bad, a survey is worse.

Politicians should do the job we pay them to do.

radson likes this.
  13. Bayview

It worked out ok in Ireland

14. Bayview

There's your first mistake.

The msm is vastly Left, and thus completely in the tank for SSM - as am I - but as we have argued here over many months on the various threads about Trump, and islam etc; they are the world champs at pushing only the agenda they want everyone to hear that is their agenda and not a balanced news or open reporting of pretty much any social issue..

So; almost all the intolerance from the LGBT and Gay Marriage crowd is never shown; but it is definitely there in truckloads outside the msm group-think.

Any, whatever;

I support Gay marriage, but don't care either way how it all goes; just pointing out an inconvenient truth about behaviors...

15. wylie

I don't see it as a mistake. I don't really care about what the "extremes" think, religious extremes or the anti-gay marriage extremes. They won't be making the decision that should be made by the government.

My concern is the government ministers should be listening to the people they work for, but they will vote how they feel personally.

It will come down to the politicians and common sense. It won't happen overnight... but it will happen.

16. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

No way. Next people will be marrying their dogs. How will I explain it to my children????

:rolleyes:

Pumpkin, Corey Batt and Ed Barton like this.
  17. wylie

LOL... of course there are people who really do think allowing same sex marriage will lead to this. Stupid people!

Who wants to marry their dog when they can marry their dining room table instead? :rolleyes:

DaveM and Ems like this.
  18. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I'm going to vote yes, just because I'm sick of seeing and hearing about it all the time.

I honestly don't care who marry's who, which is probably a bit on the point :)

Jamie Moore, MTR, Perthguy and 2 others like this.
  19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Is there anything much that marriage gives to unmarried people, except the right to an expensive divorce?

I'm talking about any marriage. In many things de facto couples, including but not limited to same sex couples, have many of the same rights as married couples.

20. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Um, I think the fact that the Melbourne Catholic archbishop said this week that anybody who works for the church (there are 180,000 employees) and marries a same sex partner will lose their job sort of strays into hateful territory.

Ed Barton, Ems, wylie and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.