250,000 posts and 6,000 members

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 29th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

407 days after launching the site, we passed 250,000 posts - and we passed 6,000 members earlier this week as well.

I won't post all the stats again so soon after doing the 1 year stats.

It will be interesting to look back in later years at the development of the community in its early years.

Awesome job everyone - thanks for making this the best property investment community in Australia!

Colin Rice, Hedgy, MTR and 13 others like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Interesting stats @Simon Hampel - there's several sites which I visit which have high traffic but few use the forums to the same extent.

MTR likes this.
  3. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

It's near impossible now to read every thread. One has to skim for threads of interest. I'm sure somersoft wasn't like that, I read everything.

4. Simon Hampel

Somersoft was very busy, but the post volume here is quite a bit higher.

Somersoft's busiest month ever was May 2015 (the last full month before it was archived), when it did 14,500 posts for the month - most months were quite a bit less than that.

We've been averaging around 18,500 posts per month for the past 10 months (it was more like 22,000 posts per month for the first few months!) ... so an extra 4,000 posts is around 133 posts per day more here than on Somersoft. It's not surprising you have difficulty keeping up!

That really is the only downside of such a busy forum - you need to start being selective about what you pay attention to.

5. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

It is an awesome forum. I wish there was something equivalent for business, not interested in starting a spin off are you?

Colin Rice, bob shovel and Bran like this.
  6. Simon Hampel

I did start one a while back - but I think it struggled for focus somewhat - and most people in business are too busy to spend much time on a forum (unless your customers are also there :p )

There's always the Flying Solo forums - but their focus is around sole operators rather than people looking to build a larger business.

I am about to spend some time rebuilding and upgrading InvestEd - the focus of that site is more around financial planning and investment education across all asset classes (I decided not to fold that forum into PropertyChat because I wanted the discussion to not be so weighted towards property). There is a topic for discussion of investing in business on InvestEd - but the intention there is to focus more on investing rather than operating a business.

I do have a spare license for the forum software and a domain name ready to go - if we have a clear enough focus for the site, I'd be happy to spin up another business focussed forum and see how it goes.

Choosing what to focus on will be the key - the "why does this site exist?" and "who does this site serve?" questions.

Last edited: 30th Jul, 2016
    Colin Rice, hobo and Westminster like this.
  7. RPI

Have been on flying solo for quite a few years. It has such a small post rate.

There are quite a few business owners on here that you could ask what they would like.

Although business owners are busy, there are more and more whose business involves sitting in front of a PC. Some of the franchises used to have forums and the ones I knew of were very busy.

I assume that it would take some time to gain a foothold though.

bob shovel likes this.
  8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My franchise had a forum- but when somebody in the franchisor organisation started making comments discussion was killed very quickly.

9. RPI

Doctors Assoc was not keen on full and frank discussion hey?

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I agree

11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

what about a business sub-forum on here?

businesschat?

12. House

House Well-Known Member

Lolz just saw this on Reddit.

upload_2016-9-7_20-57-26.png

Wonder how many are on here now given this was a year ago :D

bob shovel, Guest, WattleIdo and 2 others like this.
  13. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

Rockdoctor9000 even predicted Australia to be in full blown recession by July just passed. I wonder what he's upto. :eek::D

WattleIdo likes this.
  14. Simon Hampel

Terry_w likes this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So Sim how are you feeling about all this....you should be excited, happy...many hours on this project I am sure... happy for you it worked so far

what makes a great propert forum?

mtr

16. Simon Hampel

Definitely - I've been working pretty much full time on the site since the beginning of June last year. It's very satisfying to see such great discussion happening and such enthusiastic members.

I don't think it's property specific - I think a great forum is made from a combination of having a clear purpose, strong and consistent moderation and most importantly, a passionate group of members who contribute.

It also helps having good software - I think of it as reducing friction, making it easier for people to engage and post. Kind of like engine oil - without the right type or amount of oil, your engine just won't work as well.

Sackie, bob shovel, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  17. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Is this forum the next gold mine?

Miner, horse owner among HotCopper backers

"HotCopper is described as Australia’s leading internet trading discussion forum, with about 235,000 registered members and 623,000 unique visitors to the website in May.

The float will capitalise HotCopper at $22 million"

As Australias leading property forum surely its on the way :D:)

MTR and Terry_w like this.
  18. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Ive already been digging in @Simon Hampel 's ribs this week on Chat about his pending list date! :D

pinkboy