NSW 25 years old house in glenwood vs 15 years old in Beaumont hills

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by home_buyer, 21st Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. home_buyer

home_buyer Member

Hi everyone, can you please share your thoughts as to where should I buy- in Glenwood (25 years old house, 2 minutes walk to Norbrik T way, 10 minutes bus to bella vista metro station) or in Beaumont hills (15 years old house, 10 minutes bus to Kellyville metro station).
    Thanks.

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Depends on whether you are likely to drive to work and where you work. So plug driving destination into google maps using time settings for the appropriate part of the peak.

I think Beaumont Hills is nicer than Glenwood. The suburb has a better design with nicer parks, particularly if located near Sanctuary drive.

home_buyer likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Beaumont Hills hands down. Glenwood has a different socio economic mix and has always been the poor mans Hills suburb alternative. Its more Blacktown than Hills. Compare the Blacktown rates - High vs Hills
    And the Metro and Rouse Hills Town Centre both a plus. Bella Beaumonts does a good pizza.

4. home_buyer

home_buyer Member

The prices in both suburbs are almost equal. Glenwood is convenient if I have to travel to CBD daily, it's close to bella vista metro station and T-way. The bus from norbrik T-way takes 45 minutes to reach north sydney. Commute time on train/metro would be comparable for both Glenwood and Beaumont hills. Council wise I'm also inclined more towards beaumont hills, however I would save around 30 minutes daily if I travel by bus from Glenwood. Is it worth buying in Glenwood just seeing that it's 45 minutes from CBD by bus. Does it actually take 45 minutes or it may take more depending on the traffic. Please share your thoughts.

5. CTScan

CTScan Member

6. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Maybe test the bus ride in peak hour for yourself.

7. noviceInvestor1

noviceInvestor1 Well-Known Member

Most of the replies in this thread reek of the classic suburb snobbishness for which Sydneysiders rank #1 in the world :rolleyes:
    I have lived in Glenwood for 20+ years, and have been to almost every part of the Blacktown area several times over the years. Based on my first hand experience, Glenwood is not "more Blacktown than Hills".

@home_buyer - with the bus it depends a lot on what time you catch it. If you beat the rush, then you should definitely be at Wynyard in 45 minutes or under. During the peak of the peak hour, 50-55 minutes is what it takes me. Walking distance within a bus stop that takes you direct to the CBD will definitely save a lot more time than first getting to a station and then getting on the metro (again, this is from experience having lived through all of this).

@Paul@PFI - IIRC a long time you wrote on this forum about the Hills bus services being eventually terminated for good because the Metro had this clause in their contract (or something like that) - any further comments/updates on that would be highly relevant and appreciated (by myself and probably @home_buyer).

Plus, Georges Gourmet Pizza at Circa Norwest (falling under the Hills Council not Blacktown!) - to which home_buyer would be walking distance to (as well Woolies etc), also does a good pizza :)

chaos and home_buyer like this.
  8. home_buyer

home_buyer Member

Most people working in IT are working from home. That contributes to at least 60-70% of the crowd.Experience of someone who travelled during pre-covid times would help I think.

9. home_buyer

home_buyer Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you please tell me if the buses are crowded. Do you get a place to sit?

10. noviceInvestor1

noviceInvestor1 Well-Known Member

@home_buyer that again depends on the time you catch the bus. If you can leave early, yes you should get a seat, but, of course there are bad days
    What you also need to consider is - you could possibly also walk up Greenhill drive and catch the 616X (which *does not* go on the T-Way, it exits Glenwood and straight on to the M7). 616X are generally more crowded but will take 5-10 minutes less than 607X. The T-way line 607 which goes on the M7 takes a slightly longer route, but those run till much later at night.

home_buyer likes this.