$2200 for new ceiling

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by property novice, 21st Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. property novice

property novice Active Member

I got quoted for $2200 to replace ceiling in my bedroom and new insulation. Is that reasonable? Dimension is 4.2m x 4.0m

Other option is to re tape the long crack, he said he needs to go on the ceiling to restrap it. Cost $500

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Was the quote from a plasterer? Is the crack the only issue with the ceiling?

Not sure if that sentence means they will need to get in the roof space to 'back block' the plaster sheet joint? Or is he suggesting some sort of structural fix to framing members in the ceiling space?

Also, is this quote 'apples with apples' - I.e. For the lower quote, will you be DIYing the insulation or will they be installing? Does the first quote include the cost of the insulation or just the labour to install?

3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

what exactly needs to be done?
    it can be done far cheaper, but it requies you to do a lot of the legwork eg supervising etc.

and far more risk eg. tradies not finsihing the job or lower quality

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Got a second quote?

Does it include:
    • Demolition and disposal of the old ceiling
    • Vacuuming all the years of dust from the top of the ceiling?
    • Cornices
    • Painting
    • Moving your furniture?
    Do you need to replace the ceiling? Is it sagging or otherwise damaged?

5. property novice

property novice Active Member

Sorry for lack of information. The guy said its plaster glass ceiling, it sagging just little bit. We just use the old cornice. They will remove old ceiling from the house. And i am guessing painting is not included. As for furniture, i can move it out my self.

6. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

I would ask them to itemise the quote labour for you. Then it makes them accountable for how many hours to do the job. From this you will be able to determine if they are taking the mick or not.

7. Scott No Mates

It's plaster lath not glass.

A few screws will fix it.

datto and DaveM like this.
  8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have ceilings in Perth that plasterers call plasterglass. They are not like gyprock and are secured using saddle straps. They don't look anything like this, which is described as lath and plaster. Is that what you are talking about?

[​IMG]

Mine look like this;-

[​IMG]

Over time the straps break and that causes the ceiling to sag. This could be a Perth thing.

This is what a ceiling repairer says about it:-

If your home was built between 1975 and 1990, then there is a high likelihood that you will have sagging ceilings. Sagged ceilings are very common in Perth. This is due to the techniques that were used in the sheeting of ceilings in this period.

The former Australian Standards method was to use adhesive at the centre of the sheet and use a temporary cleat to hold the centre of the plasterboard ceiling sheet until the adhesive took hold. Due to Perth’s hot climate heat builds up in the roof space causing joists to expand and contract which in-turn causes popping nail and screw holes.

Also in this time, plaster-glass ceilings were installed. These ceilings are secured differently to plasterboard with the use of saddle straps. Over time these straps break and get worn away resulting in the key of the plaster against the joists being lost and sagging takes affect.
    www.ceilingsecure.com.au/ceiling_secure/Info_page.html

9. Perthguy

I would get it re-strapped. These people reckon they can do it for "as little as $300 per room". I have no idea if they are any good.

www.ceilingsecure.com.au/ceiling_secure/Info_page.html

10. Perthguy

@property novice and @Scott No Mates, I was reading up a bit more about Plaster Glass, since I have just re-screwed a sheet that came loose and will now have to prep it for painting. Here is some info about it which I never thought I would need to know:-

SUBSTRATE:- Plaster Glass

Description:- Glass reinforced gypsum plaster cast into smooth sheets generally with either a silicone or tallow based release agents which can contribute to adhesion failure of applied coatings. Some additives used as set ******ers can solubilise iron present which can result in a stained appearance after painting. Must be sealed with SOLVER Line 4129 Wall Sealer.​

http://www.solverpaints.com.au/Trade/Documents/Plaster Glass15112011.pdf

11. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

One of my clients is a ceiling fixer and could give you a quote Im sure.

He is a good honest family man and very good at what he does from what I have heard.

Can send you his deets via PM if interested.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The low cost way would be just pump something like liquid nails then re--screw everything then reset the plaster,just be very care full with something like this as there may be "Asbestos" within the work area..imho..

Perthguy likes this.
  13. the world is your oyster

the world is your oyster Well-Known Member

In the old days it was plaster glass
    And not many people do that these days as its all plaster board now
    To demo that and instal new plaster with metal battons and cornices and get rid of rubbish around 1500

Perthguy likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

I hadn't heard of it but Google is your friend ;)

Fibre glass is still used in Fyrechek - fire rated plasterboard - has @property novice checked if this is a fire rated ceiling?

15. Perthguy

I had never heard of it either until I bought an investment property with "plaster glass" ceilings. I still didn't know what it was until I googled it today... thanks to your post. Apparently the finish is better than plasterboard ceilings but it is prone to sagging.

16. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

$2200 sounds way too much ,Dont replace it unless its really bad and could fall.
    I would screw it after getting up in roof and reinforce it with some timber battons

17. the world is your oyster

the world is your oyster Well-Known Member

Plaster glass ceilings arnt screwed up like they do today !
    The sheets were much wider like two meters wide ceilings had to go up before door heads were installed in rooms
    When the sheet is up they put some temp nails in the ceiling send the apprentice up in the ceiling and the scrimped a plaster mesh around the roof battons and on top of the plaster glass with a plaster type glue when that went off I think the nails come out not 100% sure on that the sheets were stopped up with out using top coat also they jut pollished up cornice cement
    My dad is a old school plasterer and has told me this over the years how it used to be done

Scott No Mates and Joynz like this.