2020+ Melb/Syd to outperform Brisbane again?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by aussie1, 11th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

Agreed 100% as social media given access to so much information, BA using those platforms and ppl seeing all these other ppl buying investments. ABS shows us much more participants than previous ABS reports. The biggest thing I have seen is many BA's have taken ppl into areas based on previous cycles mostly, with shinny high yield and expecting same results as previous cycles. This has not taken place as yet even thou bus loads of ppl been buying since 2013 in Brisbane. Hell I remember a mate buying in 4 townhouses in Logan then 3 houses in Ipswich in 2013/2014 as he saw other BA's saying there buying there. Now how many other ppl have done the same since then and BA's still putting ppl into these area's as an example

Last edited: 17th Feb, 2020
  2. aussie1

aussie1 Active Member

I have decided to start looking for a 4th property in Melbournes affordable first home buyer outer ring. I have a fair bit of cash saved over the last 3 years(+ plenty of equity) sitting on my hands so still think I will purchase later on in the year in Brisbane. If I see prices moving in Brisbane/other states I should be able to catch the ripple effect and buy in the early stages of the property cycle. Land tax is getting pricey in Melbourne so definitely think this will be my last property in Melbourne for a while. Lets see how it all pans out!

3. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

It’s interesting seeing other outer state opinions on Brisbane as the data is literally showing nothing (taking into account Brisbane as a whole) but on a local level seeing our own suburbs lifting by at least 10% in a short period of time, just goes to show there’s markets within markets and leads me towards thinking a good buyers agent in another state is invaluable

mickyyyy likes this.
  4. fols

fols Well-Known Member

So true. Some of the sale prices from the last couple of weeks have really blown me away.

QldKoolies likes this.
  5. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

codie , spun that question into another thread and expanded

How to pick the start of a move.

cliff

Codie and fols like this.
  6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep..when you see...the boys from Cohen Handler put BAs in droves and lot of it is based on Facebook marketing and stats. Hell some on here are not even inspecting the properties just passing onto buyer....poor form. A lot of deals in Logan/Ipswich/Moreton Bay North do not stack...DO NOT BUY this rubbish!

Then there is another BA who is spruiking Bendigo just on stats...again rubbish.

What is unfortunate is you have now greedy mortgage brokers promoting each other (BAs) on facebook. PM ...me if you want to know more.

The good BAs are still doing it the ole fashioned way...inspecting...negotiating...and they are not pushing out 10 plus deals a month. No way you would get quality on that sort of volume.

Last edited: 22nd Feb, 2020
  7. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

Why do we have to pm you Sash , I thought you tell it how you see it. Call them out tough guy .

8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

:p:D ..... did youse own the Bates motel by any chance?

9. Patrick Bateman

Youse ? You really are a Geelong boy :)

10. croseks

croseks Well-Known Member

I had a thought to see how many listings there were in the whole of Melbourne, then I did the same for Sydney and Brisbane, I was even quite generous in QLD and cut most of the search area off as compared to Melbourne.

The map is zoomed at the same ratio for all 3, I think this is pretty interesting... Almost 100% more listings in QLD than in NSW, and at least 50% more than in VIC.

Population of QLD = 5.071 M
    Population of NSW = 7.544 M
    Population of VIC = 6.359 M

**Edit** Cant seem to upload the pics, here is a link --> Property Listings as of 24/02/2020

aussie1 likes this.
  11. Patrick Bateman

Where does it even say the numbers ?

12. croseks

Top left on each photo.
    VIC (map area)* - 36,941 listings
    NSW* - 27,855
    QLD* - 48,735

13. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Am I right I’m saying you have included Sunshine Coast/Goldcoast/Brisbane which is close to if not more than 300km end to end?

If comparing distance this far then Ballarat/Bendigo should be included in Melbourne?

It would make much more sense to compare within say a 50km radius of just the capitals.

14. croseks

It is not a scientific search by any means haha however the entire map area pictured is included, however domain only shows the first 200 results otherwise it would be super cluttered.

So if you look at the map of VIC for example, it includes, Melbourne, Bendigo, Ballarat, Geelong etc..

Feel free to have a look at Domain/Realestate and just do a search by map and you can select an area as small or as big as you like and it will show you the number of total listings.

15. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

2020 & 2021 it seems... other than Melbourne for obvious reasons