QLD 2020 is the year for Brisbane!

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Realist35, 22nd Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I agree 100 percent about Moorooka and as i spent 4 years of my life living in one of those streets when i was 17 living in a share house with 3 mates renting for 35 dollars a week ..

Problem is anyone starting out now like our daughters from what i see they are not too focussed on the outcome nor the process they just intend to stick too the plan..Small blocks of 5 units 20 year old range on flood free lmr blocks on above 800 sqm's with a outlook into the city and have the courage to dream big and commit themselves..

samiam likes this.
  2. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

Isn’t the plan the process ?

willair likes this.
  3. willair

I don't know too much about that area but the obverse ,or flip side is some of the inner southside brisbane the land values are still going up just comes down too the location and zoning now and future zoning and land area..imho..

4. Patrick Bateman

Which inner Southside suburbs went up in the latest government land valuations ? I’ve got a friend with many properties in the area and all theirs stayed the same (camp hill , carina heights etc). In terms of real growth inner to middle ring doing well at the moment .

5. willair

Patrick i think its just certain streets within some of the small pockets and large blocks on those streets ,i don't follow camp-hill carina heights ..

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our Coorparoo and Balmoral valuations arrived this week and have not changed. Mind you, they had substantial increases over previous years.

7. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Same valuation as last year for Stafford.
    I would hate to keep paying increasing land tax. My pet hate right now.

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  8. Patrick Bateman

This time next year land vals will be up big time

ChrisP73 likes this.
  9. wylie

Why do you say that? This is the first year in several years that our valuations have not increased. I was surprised but pleased. We pay enough land tax now.

kierank likes this.
  10. Patrick Bateman

I say that because prices are on the rise

11. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

No thanks - I rather not pay more land tax. I am not selling any of my properties.

12. Patrick Bateman

Oh ok I’ll ask the government not to increase yours then

vbplease likes this.
  13. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

They’ll always need to keep raising revenue, so we’d have a better chance asking buyers to stop paying over asking price ;)

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  14. MissMel

MissMel Well-Known Member

Some positive feedback from a local agent. Spoke to her this morning, and she said interest at opens has really increased in the last month or so.

Attached Files:

Sackie and Codie like this.
  15. milobear

milobear Well-Known Member

Just got my land valuation and both my property in BCC (south side) has gone up 10% land value. This has been happening year on year for the last 3 years. Land tax is getting expensive..

16. wylie

That's interesting. Ours didn't go up for the first year in a while now (Coorparoo and Balmoral).

17. kimbrisvegas

kimbrisvegas Well-Known Member

Family orientated Brisbane suburb about 10-12 km in the north-west of city, with highly ranked public schools.

Our new land valuation is the same as the previous one. The one before that was over 10% increase from the previous valuation: that one was only a year of two after we bought, and was only 8k less than what we bought the home for.

However, the median values of the suburb have increased over the last year.

Usually not a lot of land sales in the suburb and the larger subdivisions tend to be in the really inconvenient spots. So I get a better feel for land value from sale prices for fixer-upper/entry level properties like ours close to land value. These entry types of properties seem to have edged up by noticeably in recent few months.

But there also happens to be a few land offerings and sales over the last few months in the handier spots: a few larger properties that have been subdivided into 2-4 blocks. I was chatting to an agent to and was surprised to hear how high some of the sale prices of these blocks were.

Based on some of this, I was expecting another increase for the current valuation.

But these may not have factored in to the current valuation because they are so recent. And now with the upheaval of Coronovirus, it might take the simmering pot off the bubble for a while before it gets a chance to boil over.

Attended a couple of OFIs today. One had it's first open and was quite crowded. Roomy house (although officially only 3 bedroom with 'utility rooms' downstairs, nice big pool. The other across the road was lower price bracket and lot more work to do, has been on the market a couple of weeks and had just a few lookers.

Next door to us is another renovator's delight and has been a rental for last couple of decades. It is having some overdue work done on it to get it ready for sale, so will be really interesting to see what happens. Will be watching with interest.

I did mention to agent that the 2 blocks together could offer options to subdivide. If we got a certain sale price and leaseback while development paperwork is sorted, we might consider selling. But not sure if the figures would stack up to be viable, and haven't heard anything further from the agent. Not particularly concerned, as we are also happy to stay here for now and work on plans to improve or expand the house.

Although long term I think a shift will be on the cards if my mum needs to live with us for accessibility. This suburb is lovely with its good schools and parks and rolling hills - but sucks for accessibility in nearly all the homes for elderly folk.

Codie likes this.
  18. kimbrisvegas

kimbrisvegas Well-Known Member

https://7news.com.au/business/prope...ue-homes-on-brisbanes-corona-avenue--c-745608

Interesting article, but wonder if it is a bit of a beat up. 44 Corona Avenue in Ashgrove: popular street with million dollar plus properties. Only 3 people through. Now surely if you are wealthy enough to be shopping at this price bracket, you aren't dumb enough to stay away just because it has 'Corona' in the street name.

But it has been on the market for several weeks now, so the last rush of buyers has passed anyway. By now the looky loos have had their peek. The serious buyers have probably already been through and made their decision whether they are interested or not. I don't think it is that unusual to only have a few through once a house has been on the market for a few weeks.

I will also be interested to see if this type of price bracket might be impacted by the share market shennanigans - someone shopping in this price bracket is more likely to have a share portfolio, which probably took a big hit recently.

The OFI in my suburb I think might be looking for high 700s/low 800s: quite a different price bracket.

vbplease likes this.
  19. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

2FAST4U and kimbrisvegas like this.
  20. Patrick Bateman

You can mention the name of your suburb .

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.