2018. Who is buying?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Noobieboy, 8th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Iā€™m buying in 2018

1. No way. Reducing portfolio

2. Yeah if something good comes up

3. Nothing changed. Same as 2017

4. Going all in buying way more than 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

It's tempting actually, but two reasons:
    1. Diversification - I only hold property in qld
    2. Land tax - I don't want to pay it. I know they say you shouldn't make investment decisions based to avoid tax but I feel like I should be able to find another good location outside qld and avoid that unnecessary expense.

Where would you look Leo? I value your opinion as from your past investments I see you as someone with a good finger on future growth locations? What will be the trigger for you to buy in Perth?

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Fair enough mate.

HI @Blueskies,

Thanks mate, Also been lucky in some instances for sure. With regards to what would be my trigger to invest in Perth and where would I look. This is exactly how I would approach it. First, before I buy anywhere, the purchase needs to be in line with my goals and strategy. So in my case, I would be looking for a site to develop. If it was Perth, I honestly know very, very little about Perth as a city and also development in general in WA, so I would immediately go to networking. I have 1 or 2 people on here who I believe are quite knowledgeable in Perth and also utilize a development strategy similar to myself. So I would engage them 1:1 to discuss Perth options. Post discussion and research, If I felt a development in Perth right now stacks up then I would engage them to help me (of course for a fee) find a good site that matches my criteria.

I am all about risk reduction mate and networking with the best people for the job to help me get the best deal possible. I'm never afraid to spend money in this regard. So for Perth, that's how I would do it, only because I know nothing about the place.

With regards to other cities that I'm more familiar with, its really also a lot of networking. My town planner got me my last two sites. I look for value deals/suburbs/ So it might be a suburb that's gentrifying or the median price is significantly lower than just its neighbor, so waiting for the ripple effect. Also, when I have identified 2-3 suburbs which I think are ideal, I monitor them very closely looking for good deals and ready to pounce asap. I have snagged some good deals because I was the most ready at the time.

Not sure if that helps (little all over the place) but happy to answer any other questions you may have mate.

Cheers

Blueskies, adam duckworth and hammer like this.
  3. Yann

Yann Well-Known Member

Geelong would have to be carefully thought of with the car industry going, much less jobs than before around there. Demand could be for commuters if more attractive than Werribee/Point Cook region, or as a sea change but concurrence from other side of the bay hard to beat.