2018 Hotspots and Predictions

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Inov8ive, 3rd Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

What are people's thoughts on the market for 2018? Would love to hear thoughts on which regions or suburbs will grow and why? I was planning on looking to Perth in 2018 but am thinking it may be too soon. Im liking Canberra middle ring houses though. Wish Brisbane would move but whats new with that?:rolleyes:

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Perth - your right its too early. There is still too much oversupply, rental yields have also fallen back by around 25%.

Have you checked out the threads on Tassie/Hobart? seems to be a rising market??

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Middle ring Brisbane. Larger land content if possible over 600sqm in good OO areas. An older free standing home with scope to add value. All depends on budget and goals.

vbplease, Inov8ive and adam duckworth like this.
  4. adam duckworth

adam duckworth Well-Known Member

ill be looking at launceston/northern hobart and middle ring brisbane, and keeping an eye on regionals (then maybe late 18' early 19' perth?

Inov8ive and Sackie like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Maybe the formula with a buy and hold strategy would be a yield of around 6% and a rising market..... Is this possible in Tassie??
    I think this is pretty much why @sash model works well

I would also not be putting all my eggs in one basket, spread the risk

6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Nah don't spread the eggs.....if one egg rots others go with it....dems how it works....;)

And remember....Sydney never goes down......

7. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

Hard to predict what will happen in 2018 we have pretty dumb people in government, you just dont know what policy they will come up with. everyone I know is staying away from Brisbane. In my opinion it will be the start of a tougher period over there but we will have to wait.

I would say the safest bets are still Melbourne and Sydney, albeit certain areas rather than everywhere.

adam duckworth likes this.
  8. adam duckworth

@MTR i personally think that is very possible in tassie, yields are all around 6% or above and the market is rising, i feel hobart CBD or close to will be reaching peak in about 12-18 months ita been going strong for a couple of years now. i think northern suburbs of hobart and launie will do good next year and 2019.

And also what is sashs model? Is there a thread onnit

Last edited: 3rd Dec, 2017
  9. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

@sash has explained it somewhere of his strategy - investing in areas with 6% yield and 6% CG - blood hard to find it these days though... but follow him closely... we might have a hint :D

ashish1137 and adam duckworth like this.
  10. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Hi mate, do you know the thread name where @sash mentioned about it ? I would like to know more about this strategy.

adam duckworth likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Read his posts start with Somersoft forum

samiam and adam duckworth like this.
  12. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Generally ok, but need to look at the specific holding costs. Tas and ACT have land tax from first dollar so need to take that into account.

13. Ricflair

Ricflair Well-Known Member

I think Brisbane will run. I am originally from Sydney. The amount of phone calls I get from people considering relocating for better housing and smaller mortgages are huge.

14. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

I'd say central coast and Newcastle in 2018. not sure beyond that

15. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

I think some of the smaller markets may have their time in the sun soon, albeit absolute growth numbers may be quite small in broad terms as the starting point is generally lower. Lending changes may force investors to look to other areas, lower budgets, & in general cause more caution in the major markets.

Tas will likely benefit from increased investor activity and a short term demand spike, esp if its economy continues to perform well. Long term population issues may not necessarily mean its the best long term play though. Likely other regionals/etc that most won't know too much about.

Probably time when investors with skill in picking CG in short term will do well. Buying in a major city & benefitting from the credit/rate drop impact on asset prices has likely run its course.

Chris Au and radson like this.
  16. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

I am somewhat invested in Hobart and have had some strong growth there, no doubt more to come. Im fairly heavily invested into SEQueensland and its been a very slow burn. I went there too early and its really slowed me down. Dont want to do that again which is why i wont touch Perth until i see some clear signs that it has turned.

Mark, MTR and adam duckworth like this.
  17. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

Isn't Tassie market already hot and hyped up? Is it any good even entering at this time when prices have already nearly doubled?

MaddyG, adam duckworth and Ricflair like this.
  18. adam duckworth

i think this is mostly true for hobart, but there is still the outer suburbs of hobart and launceston starting to go now

19. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I agree that the properties in Tassie is already at the peak. I can't see properties in Lutana suddenly becoming Sandy Bay prices in the near future.

Why is it that no one is supporting Adelaide? Good returns and a way to balance the books.

MaddyG likes this.
  20. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Bondi :)
    @Leo2413

The biggest sale of the weekend was 159 Hastings Parade, North Bondi, which sold for $7.55 million.

Any ideas on why?

How many apartments can you build on this block?

[​IMG]