2017 Predictions - crystal (meth)-balling

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Scott No Mates, 15th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

ive been saying the exact above since 2014-2015

and ive been wrong every damn year, so i think im not too good at it so Idont rely on what I think nanymore!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I must be getting blonde in my old age - I have only just worked out what TMNT means

Bran likes this.
  3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

cowabunga dude!

Bran and Darren A like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OK, but Melbourne and Sydney started rising in 2013, markets generally boom for 3 years sometimes longer as is the case at the moment due to IMO the low interest rate environment and continue falls during this period.

But we are now seeing interest rates rising that is why I say its time to be cautious.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I don't really need one because look at previous history and find out why markets falls.

MTR:)

5. LukeR

LukeR Well-Known Member

See attached

SQM tipping price increases in Melbourne for 10-15%

Despite all this negativity, I still think prices will continue to increase in Melbourne.

Despite interest rate hikes as a possibility, they are still very low and property holders are happy holding in times of uncertainty - see no. auctions this year compared to last, and trump weekend etc. This will decrease supply. Migration also pays a significant role to growth and is happening faster than anticipated..

I also see a decrease in demand for apartment sites (from developers) and subsequent apartment owners due to the stigma (locals) and increased foreign taxes (FIRB sales).

New apartment guidelines came through to today which mandates minimum apartment sizes, natural lighting, set backs etc, which will make it harder for new developments to enter at price points previously entered. This will stall developments that aren't yet permitted until there is a strong enough demand and higher enough price points..

Just a few thoughts

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Melb has got immigration cornered, numero Uno..... let's see what happens mid 2017

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

...and a lot of immigrants moving to Melbourne as they can't get into the Sydney market...outer suburbs will be on fire till we see a 5 in front for new builds...that could be 2-3 years out...

Luca likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

now you will have a tsumuni of investors.... are you doing a Seechange....lol

9. LukeR

LukeR Well-Known Member

10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Nope...it is not easy as it looks...to get the right blocks at the right price is harder than ever..and to get the build price right is also more difficult...the rewards are there.

The time when you could pick any block and make money is gone...it requires more skill now....for example...Cranbourne is almost impossible to get into for decent block under 210k.....places like Tarneit are also going that way