2017 - new year resolutions

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Scott No Mates, 18th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi Bran, thanks for the feedback!

I need change it up a bit more... They allow 700 characters and I need to now cull 22. I figure who cares if I'm comfortable with large data sets... I shouldn't need to say it... it should be a given with this work.

I am an experienced Analyst/Developer with strong problem solving & data manipulation skills to provide solutions & reporting for your Business.

I possess an ability to understand & resolve complex issues, & I enjoy collaborating with people. Expertise includes SQL Server, Excel, SSRS, SSIS, Teradata & VBA for creative & timely solutions.

Most of all, I simply love working with friendly, approachable & knowledgeable people in a supportive environment, solving problems & creating solutions. By nature I'm a fairly laid back person but I love a challenge & solving problems will make my day.

With professional experience since 2003, I am dedicated to self improvement & I seek feedback & mentoring to improve myself.

Edit: added some strikethroughs. Need to cull a little bit more... Not much though.

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A few thoughts. On the whole it's good, but there's a couple of bits where you could shorten it slightly.

I don't like the use of ampersands in a formal document.

Solutions and reporting? Not sure. Reporting is a part of a solution. I'd make that "to provide creative and timely solutions for any business"- stop the next paragraph at VBA. (Not here but in your experience ensure that you specify VBA just for Excel or for other MS products if applicable).

Make it "a" or "any" business- the word "your" is mire personal and doesn't fit in with the nature of a resume. Business is not capitalised.

You don't need "most of all" or "simply".

"Laid back" and "make my day" are a bit informal for the tone of a resume. I'd suggest "I'm a relaxed person but I love a challenge and enjoy solving problems". You could even put a full stop after challenge if pushed for space.

3. Gockie

For everybody who don't want to read this... Sorry! (I'll start a thread if there's anything else). Re: "your" vs. "any"... I'll stick to your for now. (Pretend a recruiter will read it). Re the ampersands... If I can change them and not go over 700 characters I will!

Thanks Geoff for feedback. Here I go:

I am an experienced Analyst/Developer with strong problem solving skills to provide quality solutions for your business.

I possess an ability to resolve complex issues & I enjoy collaborating with people. Expertise includes SQL Server, Excel, SSRS, SSIS, Teradata & VBA for creative & timely solutions.

I love working with friendly, approachable & knowledgeable people in a supportive environment. By nature I have a relaxed personality but I love to rise to a challenge. Solving problems & delivering outcomes for your business will make my day.

With professional experience since 2003, I am dedicated to self improvement & I seek mentoring to improve myself.

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Can you do anything to avoid repeating the word solutions? That was a part of the reason for suggestions I made.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I've broken my resolutions already - no diversions yet.....oh look! a butterfly!

6. Gockie

Started a separate thread!

7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

1. No alcohol for 2017
    2. No coffee for 2017
    3. Eat less junk and more fruit
    4. Get more sleep

Definitely more sleep!

8. Perthguy

How's everyone going with their New Year's resolutions?

No alcohol is a breeze for me, until tomorrow evening ;)

No coffee was easy until today. Get more sleep has not been working for me. I have had insomnia 3 times this year already, including last night when I was in bed by 11:30 pm but didn't go to sleep until around 2am. Hence the struggling with lack of coffee.

I am enjoying more fruit tough. Fruit in Perth is delicious in summer... mangoes and watermelon particularly. :)

ellejay and MTR like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Does it taste any different elsewhere in Oz?

10. Perthguy

Sure does. Stone fruit from Perth is awful. Stone fruit in Adelaide is delicious. I got mixed up because I don't eat Perth stone fruit so I thought it was a winter thing.

I retract my claim that fruit in Perth is delicious in summer. Stone fruit from Perth is not delicious. Avoid! :mad:

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

That's a 1st world problem!

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I dunno where my IGA is getting their white flesh semi-clingstone peaches.. but my god they're good. The last 2 weeks has been excellent :D

13. Perthguy

Please tell! Which IGA is that? I have not had good peaches in Perth. Ever! :(

14. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Ill give you the 'perth' part of the statement(s). You need to go for a drive south/east to the fruit growing regions of WA. Often in summer there are farmer markets, or road side sales. If you knock on the farm door, you may even be able to get a bag of seconds super cheap (or free). Often they are seconds as they are 'too ripe'.
    These fruits are 'tree ripened'. Unlike the supermarket fruits which are picked green, and ripened in transit. They taste very different.

I was suprised years ago having to explain to friends and family that stone fruit isnt meant to be crispy like an apple - but rather soft like a cherry.

Blacky

Phase2, Gockie and Perthguy like this.
  15. Perthguy

Thanks Blacky. I know what stone fruit should be like which is why I won't eat stone fruit from the shops here. I grew up in Adelaide where we had apricots, peaches and plumbs growing in the back yard. No fruit fly, so we could eat the ripe fruit off the tree :)

That's a good tip about buying farm direct. I would love some tree ripened stone fruit again

Gockie likes this.
  16. Scott No Mates

In Sydney head up to Dural/Galston for farm gate stone fruit.

17. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Canning Bridge, next to the Raffles.

Perthguy likes this.
  18. Perthguy

Thanks! That is a good IGA :)

19. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Yep, it can be :)
    I think the same people own the Good Grocer up in the applecross village. It used to be an IGA as well, but now is more upmarket/gourmet.. fruit selection is probably identical though.

Perthguy likes this.
  20. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

just a heads up.. Apricots are awesome at the moment as well.. :)

Perthguy likes this.