Sports & Fitness 2015 Ashes

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tonibell, 10th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

With all the sport on - the AShes has slipped under the radar a bit for some.

Great start by the English team and there are ahead at this stage - it is a long time since the Aussies have won in England.

I'm following it closely as I'll get there to watch some of the 4th Test.

What is the interest amoung the PC crowd ?

2. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

It's almost a shame there has been so much great cricket already this year.. Although the ashes is the most important series imo, I'm just about all cricketed out.. watching the tour de frog instead.

158 likes this.
  3. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

I love it. Have been staying up each night to enjoy it. Will switch the channel to the cricket a bit later tonight though, after we smash the Tigers. Go the Blues!

4. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Waching it now...

5. MarkB

MarkB Well-Known Member

Obviously Shane Watson is a bazillion times better a cricketer than I ever was, but I would like to point the following out.

Watson in the Ashes 2013
    During the first 3 tests – 146 runs @ 24.33. Of course, after these 3 tests England are 2-0 up and have retained the Ashes. Watson in the last 2 Ashes tests of 2013 – 272 runs @ 68.

2013/14 Ashes
    Watson in the first 2.5 tests -> 97 runs @ 19.4. This time we are 2 nil up and the engraver has already gone to work etching "Australia" on the trophy. In the last 2.5 tests -> Watto comes alive (again) and scores 248 runs @ 62. When he does fire in that series – in the 2nd innings of the 3rd test in Perth – we are 134 runs ahead on the first innings and 1/157 in the 2nd innings when he walks out to bat (ie. we are streets ahead of the Poms, the ball is old, the bowlers buggered, and the pressure is pretty much off).

Vs Sth Africa
    He only played one test vs South Africa last summer (40 and 25) so he is off the hook there.

Vs India last summer.
    14 and 33 & 25 and 0 in the first two tests when it mattered most because we were trying to win the series. But from the 3rd test on when we're 2 nil up in a 4 test series (ie. we cannot lose)., he again comes out and scores 52 (and then 17). And in the 4th test – where if the pitch was any flatter you could skate on it – he scores 81 and 16.

vs West Indies
    Two tests, two victories for Australia, two innings from him – 11 and 25.

And now in the 2015 Ashes....
    30 – when we really needed a lot more.

My point being that he only seems to score runs when the series are decided.

Every Test Match matters of course.... but they matter a lot more when major trophies are still up for grabs.

Last edited: 10th Jul, 2015
  6. Hoffy

Hoffy Well-Known Member

I'm no Watson booster, but feel for him on that decision. Poor call IMO.

7. Touristy

Touristy Active Member

Good point Mark,
    Fully agree with you on his flawed batting style but he has been know to roll the arm over occasionally so might be good to also reference that. Doubt he's in the team purely on batting. If it wasn't for amazing performances (Smith, Stark, Johnston etc) there would be a lot more pressure on a lot more players in that team.

Hoffy,
    Poor call? Hitting the stumps? Leg before? Good call IMO. That's cricket and the review is there for the shockers but is being abused for close calls.

8. MarkB

MarkB Well-Known Member

See, that doesn't help his cause much either.

Once (yes, once) since the start of 2012 has he taken more than 1 wicket in an innings of a Test Match.

It was last summer vs India - he got 2 for 58 (4th test, dead series).

9. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Not sure if he has a flawed batting style ? Haven't heard much commentary critical of his batting style. It may be that he just does not respond to pressure and such situations as well..some really relish the opp to turn the match around and do, others don't.

10. Touristy

Touristy Active Member

Then I got to go with he's in the team cause they win. I don't read too much into stats as I'm sure selectors wouldn't just go with that as you know. Interesting to see what happens if they lose this game then, let alone the series. Interesting times ahead.

He's batting style is flawed and constantly gets commented on. About half his outs are lbw and they were attempting it. Thought this was common knowledge. You wouldn't hear too much commentary from that bias team either. Bring back Richie

11. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

12. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

This thread's gone a little quiet

13. BennEznElle

BennEznElle Well-Known Member

Yeah, not really too much to say after that result. I'm not a Watson fan and it's just so frustrating to see him continue to get picked when he is clearly not performing with either the bat or the ball. With Rogers retiring, Haddin pretty close and Watson and a few others getting older, we really need to try and get the next bunch some experience, so we don't have the situation where 4-5 players have under 10 tests experience.

Given Mitch Marsh's form in the tour matches, surely he needs to be given a run. Watson needs a rest to clear his head and re-evaluate his role in the team.

14. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

Can't wait for Thursday. Disappointing it didn't last the 5 days.

Drop Watson, bring in Marsh. Starc out (if injured) bring in Cummins.

This selecting thing is easy. :)

15. jordy

jordy Active Member

Bring back Peter Siddle asap. People forget a test match is about building pressure and bowling well as a unit. I think Siddles control will keep the run rate down allowing the likes of johnson/starc to be the attacking bowler.

And yes agreed watson has to go. He only bowled 13 overs!

16. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Didn't we just have an Ashes series? I thought The Ashes only happened every couple of years. There is so much cricket now I find it hard to get interested in a particular series.

17. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

Geoff Marsh flew out to England so there must be a Marsh picked for the next test.

18. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Can't wait to watch the first ball tonight. It is tonight right? My antenna got fixed after 3 weeks of entertainment wilderness not that I watch TV that much.

19. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Portfolio Perth Brisbane Sydney Melbourne
    If your TV receptions ever on the blink its also streamed online for free.

larrylarry likes this.
  20. Hoffy

Hoffy Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to this one. Critical toss again.

Glad Haddin is out, but do feel for him that CA took advantage of his family situation to do it by stealth. Pretty soft.