$200k cash + 15 year plan: what do you do?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by izzy16, 16th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

What you have to understand with a investment strategy like that is your rate of return is uncertain and your linked directly to the performance of overseas and asx listed markets then examine the past performance and trading results because what happened in the past is irrelevant ,try and read all you can first 180k can turn into 90k real fast ..

2. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

No, your addition to taxable income would be the capital gain, not the capital. So if you put $90k into shares, and kept them all for at least 1 year, and then started selling parcels where each annual parcel was always (somehow) the equivalent to $9k capital + $9k increase in capital, then the increase to your income would be 50% of the $9k increase in capital, or $4.5k of extra income, taxable at your marginal tax rate. (I think - I'm newish to shares too)

Terry_w and izzy16 like this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Mcarthur is right. You could possibly sell a large amount of shares and not pay CGT.

Example
    Your wife bought $100,000 worth of shares. These jumped to $136,000.
    She sells and has no other income that would mean a capital gain of $36,000
    apply the 50% CGT discount and that would mean taxable income of $18k.

but keep in mind if she has shares she may have received dividends too.

4. izzy16

izzy16 Well-Known Member

Hi Willair - thanks for your take and certainly some good points.

I feel this would be a concern for someone:
    • Who only invests for capital appreciation of share price and not a growing dividend stream
    • With a short time horizon
    • Who is not emotionally fit to invest in something like this / has a low tolerance to risk
    Thankfully, I'm none of the above :)

Parkzilla, Perthguy and Nodrog like this.
  5. willair

Also take into account your personal circumstances ,because if you have a full-time job outside trading investing,you may be unable too watch the markets every day so it could be better to sometimes focus on longer term trading style as there is no universal style that fits everyone..
    If you read books then there is one is from the early 1990's that our then Accountant gave me a free ticket to is priceless,still have the singed copy.

How To Start With No Savings And Get Rich Safely
    by Stuart Moore

Then you have this one to give you an idea on trail and error..

The Black Swan (Taleb book) - Wikipedia

pippen and Perthguy like this.
  6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I used to own that book by Stuart Moore many years ago but gave it away along with about 50 or so trading books / courses. Can't really remember anything much of its content now.

My main concern is you mentioned the word trading a couple of times. So others need to decide if they're an investor or a trader.

The author certainly has an interesting history. I remember Stuart Moore from my trading days and recall him presenting at Aust Technical Analyst Assoc (ATAA) meetings that I regularly attended. His real name (he has had a number of aliases over the years) is Brian Costello.

Here's a recent presentation outline he did for ATAA in Brisbane in Feb 2016:
    And they wonder why most traders lose money:).

Phase2 and Perthguy like this.
  7. willair

Yes that's his name Stuart Moore,i have not seen him speak in over 24 years and thanks for the link ,and it's looks like he will be speaking at the Greek club 29 Edmondstone street ,south Brisbane Monday, February 15, 2016 ,first visit free ,subsequent visit 40 bucks..r/h back seat..

Quote..
    My main concern is you mentioned the word trading a couple of times. So others need to decide if they're an investor or a trader.

When you look at it from the outside it all seems simple and straight-forward enough ..A investor is sometimes the same as the trader the only difference is standalone single one name holdings work on a timeframe and make their own trading decisions and that means the first rule is never ever let a interday/multi short term duration bbq plate trade turn into a long-term trade and that takes discipline and that's something that can't be taught with the trade frequency of trail and error ..

8. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    I am confused: why are we discussing trading when the OP clearly stated he is going to invest in the old school LICs for the long run?

Feels like I missed something somewhere.

9. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Exactly. That's why I highlighted the mention of "trading" in @willair's post. The OP is looking to "invest" not "trade". The rest of the post was just providing some background about the author of the book he recommended as a potential warning.

Nah I take that back, I just wanted to confuse you @Ouga :confused::D.

Ouga likes this.
  10. ADLO Projects

ADLO Projects Active Member

Hi @izzy16,

I'm considering a similar strategy. I have a small portfolio of shares at the moment held in my name.

Are you planning on building your portfolio inside a Trust or in your own name?

11. ADLO Projects

ADLO Projects Active Member

Disregard this, I hadn't read all pages in the thread.

12. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

What about the use of trusts or bucket companies for investing in shares but no children are on the scene and unlikely to be for next 3 to 5 years?

What structures can be used in these situations given person 1 would be on 37% tax bracket and person 2 on 32.5% bracket?

13. Terry_w

Sole owner
    joint owner
    corporate owner
    trustee owner
    Don't forget about structuring the funding of the share owner.

14. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Is it just a myth about advisors telling their clients that for PAYG employees that trusts are too expensive??? Given in my example the 2 partners will only ever stay in the 37% tax bracket?

15. Terry_w

No. I have set up many trusts for share investors.

pippen likes this.
  16. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Anne11 likes this.
  17. Terry_w

Yes