20 Words that make you sound smart

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 8th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Are you trying to tell us you are a dumb fake? :)

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A noisy fake.

Which would be a cacophony.

3. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

That's very interesting, I speak in 3 word sentences with no big words, (although I know & understand them), my spelling is shocking (generally due to speed of writing/typing and not thinking about what I'm putting down rather than not knowing how to spell it), my desk is a mess and I swear like a drunk sailor.

I guess I'm a closet genius? ;)

wylie, Perthguy, MTR and 3 others like this.
  4. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that would sum up a number of people on this forum, in my opinion there does seem to be a higher intelligence level on here than some of the other forums I have spent time on.

Here is one of the threads I read on it a while ago :)

Intelligent people tend to be messy, stay awake longer, and swear more

MTR and Propagate like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I think intelligence needs to defined and I know it will differ for different people according to their values. For me, I think there are intelligent type people in specific fields eg medicine, law etc but that is not the 'intelligence' I value personally for myself.

This is how I see life. Most people are born into a life with no real freedom. Very much like the Matrix. Freedom in our society and probably all societies (imo) is mostly ruled by economic capacity or lack thereof, which will vary for people.

For me, the 'intelligence' I value the most is when someone can start from nothing or very little, then put a plan together to do X,Y and Z and work their way out of bondage to a place where they are truly free, out of the Matrix of 'society'. Free to do almost whatever they want, whenever they want without having to worry about it. If that means working 40 hours a week with 4 weeks annual leave for someone then so be it I accept that, but I suspect many people won't picture that as true freedom for themselves. I admire and respect very much people who can use their 'intelligence' to get to that freedom level because I know the road is a very difficult one, especially when you start from scratch.

Just my opinion and what I value as 'intelligence', which I know will differ for others.

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

That takes a really different way of looking at the world. I don't think many people have it.

Depends. I have been on both sides of this so I know it feels different. Most people work to pay the mortgage. They work because they have to. Many feel trapped. Some people refer to them as mortgage slaves. Going to work because you have to is not a feeling of freedom.

Some people don't actually have to work (financially they could quit), however, they choose to continue working because they want to. Making a choice to work is a completely different feeling. It can be a feeling of freedom for some. I have worked when I didn't have to but because I chose to. I can confirm that feeling is completely different.

wylie and Sackie like this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree with you mate.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. kierank

I agree with you and it describes me to a tee :) :).

If you read my Introduction thread, I finished Uni in 1976 and left Brisbane with a suitcase and $50 in my wallet to head off to Melbourne. That $50 was cash from my Mum and Dad to buy myself a 21st Birthday present (an electric shaver) six months later. It was the only asset I had beside the suitcase.

Today, 40 years later, I don't have to work, I don't need to work, I don't work, ... to support my chosen lifestyle. I consider myself to be financially independent (I am not trying to nitpick but I don't believe anyone can have true financial freedom).

That is twice on this thread that people have convinced me that I am more intelligent that I thought. Either I am very gullible OR maybe I am not as dumb as I thought I was.

Geez, if this keeps up, I will believe all the hype and start to walk around with my nose stuck up in the air ...

Perthguy likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yep I read it awhile ago and I was very inspired. :)

OR maybe you need to join me as cofounders of NIC and enjoy banning people together :cool::D:D

kierank likes this.
  10. kierank

My wife already says I spend too much time on PC.

Imagine what would happened if I co-founded NIC.

Divorce is the first word that comes to mind - not a great wealth creation strategy :) :).

Now, if you were going to run some NC training, that might be tempting :) :). I have a strong background in training development and delivery.

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Right, she's banned! :D
    I have asked now 3 times and no one is telling me what NC training is...

12. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

Why use a big word when a diminutive one will do?

Perthguy, kierank and geoffw like this.
  13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Allow me to extrapolate.

Why use a big word when a diminutive will suffice?

wobbycarly and kierank like this.
  14. wobbycarly

Is there any reason to use additional words of extended length when the opportunity arises for one to be succint?

geoffw likes this.
  15. Perthguy

I love when reporters on the news excitedly announce a "quantum leap". In Quantum theory, quanta is small. So really when they say quantum leap, they mean small leap. One small step for mankind?

Though using “quantum leap” to mean “big jump” is fully idiomatic, it’s best to avoid using just plain “quantum” to mean “huge” (especially if addressing a physicist). Most dictionaries still define it as simply “an amount.” It’s only the hyperbole that gives it mass quantity.

The history of using 'quantum' to mean 'really big'

wobbycarly likes this.
  16. wobbycarly

Having studied physics at Uni, this is one of my (many) pet hates. It's just "a discrete amount", nothing more.

Perthguy likes this.
  17. Perthguy

So really, those reporters are just saying 'scientists have made a measurable leap' but say 'quantum leap' to try to make it sound more impressive?

18. wobbycarly

Pretty much. I've had a few too many reds tonight to explain it well, but in quantum physics a "quantum" is a discrete amount of energy, and particles can only move by this amount. Perhaps, it's like you can only walk around in steps of 1m increments. Each 1m is a quantum of movement for you. So a quantum "leap" is just... a step. In common parlance, it means instead of a continuous, smooth line (like a shuffle), you've taken a discrete step.

Perthguy and JenW like this.
  19. GreatPig

GreatPig Well-Known Member

Or when they say someone has done a "backflip". As any gymnast knows, a backflip leaves you facing the same direction as you started.

wobbycarly, EN710, wylie and 2 others like this.
  20. devank

devank Well-Known Member

This seems very practical :)

[​IMG]

hobo, wobbycarly, ellejay and 2 others like this.