VIC 20% price crash? Might have happened in Melbourne.

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by The Y-man, 9th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

This is near my work:

Auction Result for 25 William St, Hawthorn VIC 3122 3122 Australia - AuHousePrices.Com

As a comparison, last year:
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-hawthorn-125560394
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-hawthorn-123623142

So we are looking at about a 20% drop (if you price it on the vendor bid, 17% if you base on the current asking price).

Now here's the interesting thing. For those that have been saying "I will wait for a price crash to happen, then I will buy in" - here, it's happened.

Will they jump in?
    Probably not. Why?
    Because for many, it is still probably not the most affordable thing in town (rental yield would be quite low, less than 3%?).

So when people say they are looking for the proverbial bargain, they really need to think of the parameters they are looking at.

Secondly, I have often told people the story that the inner city market (for those who are note familiar, the william st house is a 5 minute quick walk to station, and 10 minute train ride into the CBD) is stable and has low volatility. Well, I am changing my mind. I have come to the conclusion that there is significant volatility in the inner markets - not necessarily a bad thing as it does let you pick up the odd "bargain".

The Y-man

2. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

i wouldn't call that a crash... comparing a semi-detached weatherboard 2x1 with a 3x1 and a fully detached character brick home, IMO price variations seem fair and even within reasonable range of skilled auctioneer could achieve.

what does seem clear though is that demand is likely slowing for that kind of product.. IMO only suited to someone seeking a low yield rental, or a downsizer couple who dont drive.

Compare to say Lalor...

5 King Street, Lalor, Vic 3075 - Property Details

430k in December last year and i wouldn't be surprised if it fetched 600k now. Taking an average test of the market, sentiment is still high. People still believe in property in Melbourne. I'm waiting for people to hate it, for the over-stretched people to regret signing the bottom line. When that negative sentiment hits, that's when the true bargains appear.

larrylarry, The Y-man and ashish1137 like this.
  3. The Y-man

And that's the very important point that I really wanted to illustrate - that it is pointless speculating about "the Melbourne property market <doing whatever up or down or sideways>" - there are different types of "products" on the market (great terminology!) - so different that I believe it is impossible to meaningfully generalise.

When people ask things like "Is the Melbourne market hot (or not)?" and get a vague "it depends..." answer, they get rather annoyed or confused or both. I hope they can see just how varied the market is here (and probably in every major city in Aust) with examples like the ones I posted vs the one that you (@JL1) posted.

The Y-man

JL1 likes this.
  4. The Y-man

I take your point re 4 Falmouth.

However, 18 Belgrave is a semi-detached weatherboard 3x2 on 258 sqm, 25 William is a semi-detached weatherboard 3x1 on 212 sqm. Sounds like a ripper $300k difference for 1 bathroom and 46 sqm :eek: (and I argue William st is in a better location transport wise - ok, there are more uni students walking pas your front door....)

The Y-man

5. wa2

wa2 Member

Sydney-Jakarta-Melbourne-Brisbane-Singapore
    There is a research in sky news-property channel the other week that on average by having another bathroom will increase the value by $300k. That figure is for Syd houses in the inner suburbs, I can’t remember the figures for Melb.
    The research provide comparison between properties having 1 or 2 bathroom, any additional bathroom from 2 onwards will not add significant value :).

The Y-man likes this.
  6. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

To be honest 20% variance is not that extreme. Often going to Auctions I see houses selling for +10% or -10% from my predicted price just depending on the day. Factors lke how desperate to sell (if it is an estate sale which split between multiple people often it gets put on market pretty early). In the current market the >+10% ones only usually need 2 families to fight over a PPOR they both want. Blocks of land to develop have less variance as all builders do roughly the same calculations in this current market in Melbourne

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing.

Eventually the Melb market will correct same as Syd, but why would anyone buy straight after a correction, makes no sense.

Look at historical data on boom/bust cycles some will last for 7 years, much longer time frame than boom cycles. In effect its like catching a falling knife.

If anyone is looking for a bargain just wait and sit back you have plenty of time once markets correct.

MTR:)

Look at

8. Konn

Konn Well-Known Member

Am I missing something? Its not the same house.

9. turk

turk Well-Known Member

10. The Y-man

kaibo likes this.
  11. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

The Belgrave St one has one extra bathroom, laundry room and separate living and dining area. Also the third bedroom of the William St one is too small, I would call it a study rather than an proper bedroom.

With the above consideration I think 300k different is sort of reasonable, I think the extra bathroom alone is worth 100k, the 46 sqm land worth another 100k, and the rest goes to the last 100k.

The Y-man likes this.
  12. The Y-man

That's very interesting and valuable info. I will keep this in mind when we do a big reno on one of our period homes.

The Y-man

13. wa2

wa2 Member

Sydney-Jakarta-Melbourne-Brisbane-Singapore
    It is actually $380k and for inner suburb units in Sydney! Melbourne not far behind..

Unbelievable stuff :)

Sydney:
    Staggering cost of extra bathroom

Melb:
    No Cookies | The Weekly Times

14. supersam80

supersam80 Well-Known Member

Also look at the difference in the third bedroom - it's pretty small in 25 William

To give some context on how these 2 bed plus one teeny tiny bedrooms sell, here's one in Toorak from earlier this year
    16 Tashinny Road, Toorak, vic - Property Sold Price

Makes the Hawthorn one look overpriced given the delta between the two suburbs