2 townhouses in Canberra

Discussion in 'Development' started by Cimbom, 11th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has done this recently and what the building costs were? It's more of a long-term thing at this stage but I'd be interested in getting an idea of costs. It'd be a good finish but not top of the range and in the inner suburbs.

2. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

Someone will correct me if I am wrong. But generally about $2000-4000 per m2. That is what we were told to budget.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sounds expensive to me but I am not in Canberra.

I am from Perth and we look at around $1200 per sqm for single storey, around $1800 per sqm double storey this is reasonable specification and turnkey. They demolish costs, infrastructure fees would not be included in this.

4. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

5. Starlite

Starlite Well-Known Member

I would be interested to know the answer to the above post :rolleyes:
    Any recommended builders in canberra that would build for $1000 to $ 1300 per sqm for a house?

6. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

No idea about Canberra builders, but @D.T. Recently posted some numbers on building two single level houses in Adelaide. Developing in Adelaide. Numbers are half way down the page and plans are at the bottom. I know Canberra builders will be different, but might give you an idea of extras not included in contract as well.

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Having vetted 6 builders for my structural reno, I'd say you've got no chance for this figure. Generalising terribly, builders in Canberra have a small closed market and aren't at all hungry - except for holiday money. The new suburbs and upcoming fluffies sell-backs mean there's lots of work so the quote's I've had reflect the attitude of "if I have to do the work, I'm going to get my annual holiday and spending money out of you" :(.
    Those sort of figures are at the low-end of project home builders. There aren't many low-end ones in Canberra!

Absent, mini2, Starlite and 1 other person like this.
  8. Starlite

Thanks for the info, mcarthur! Have you had any good experience with any builder so far? which one would you recommend?

9. mcarthur

No :(. I can tell you the names of six (6!) not to use.
    All have been personally recommended.
    Lest you think it's me, I have a signed certificate saying I'm not b@stard and will definitely pay on time, but it hasn't helped :cool:.

But I've been looking for structural renovation rather than KDR or new build. I know someone who can give you the name of someone not to use for new build either :eek:.

Hence why I'm (slightly) jaded...

10. Starlite

Oh wow looks like we are doomed in Canberra! Yes, I do want to know name of six builders to avoid and also the new build builder as well..

11. mcarthur

Not on a public forum :rolleyes:. I doubt the forum owners would like it either. PM me

12. Samosa

Samosa New Member

PM sent.

13. Starlite

Pm sent :D