2 bed apartment renovation

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Codie, 17th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

As in you would be after the suburb or the house?

I probably overcapitalize on my builds a little more than a stock investor would, as I want to build quality and be proud of the build.

As well as trying things to see if I can pull them off or not, gotta learn somehow, no one is gonna get everything right first go after all.

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I usually do too and personally I think it's not a bad idea, as long as it's just a bit. More risk building an inferior product than something a bit above the rest costing a little more.

Angel, Leeroy93, Archaon and 2 others like this.
  3. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Both actually, its a lifestyle suburb and the apartment is 200m from the river, a ton of cafes etc. Plenty of People just get the City Cat into work from the street.

I 100% agree with that, if you can source things and manage a lot of it yourself, its really only costing 20% extra. the way I see it building something of quality that might be over capitalizing in the short term, gets you a solid valuation, above market rent, and good tenants. Plus if you ever need to flick it, your most likely going to be able to do so quickly..

Angel, Leeroy93 and Archaon like this.
  4. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Busy day today, finished off siliconing floors and am so happy with how they have come up! They look and feel much better than any timber/vinyl plank I’ve ever looked at. The Tiler’s raved about it and guessed about $120sqm.. I paid $35sqm

Have started installing new hinges & brass
    Handles on all doors now that paint is done, the little touches make such a difference. Front door is getting an overhaul with gloss enamel, new locks, handles, number, & door knocker. All brass, first impressions and all that.

attempted the bulk head, it took me 45mins... $16 worth of channel and screws and prob $5 worth of gyprock. I’ve paid someone $1200 to do one for me until the past so never again. Decided to run the splashback chevron tile right up the bulkhead to the ceiling.. saves plaster & paint.

Question for you all, bulk head on one side, should I definitely bulk head the other side, fridge etc?? It Juts out a lot and I’m not sure if it will close the kitchen in.. thoughts?

Attached Files:

Dian, samiam, Archaon and 4 others like this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Love the splashback and how it turned out. I wouldn't put tile onto the bulkhead - like really really wouldn't. Besides the weight of the tiles probably being too much I just wouldn't. Lately I've been increasing the height of cabinetry and having a matching laminate bulkhead/panel up the top. Looks quite neat.

Normally I would do the fridge area but I see what you mean and how it could look quite bulky as you look at it side on. I think I'd be inclined to leave it at this stage and if it ever bothers you in the future do it then but keep it white so that it just looks like an extension of the cabinetry

6. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Thanks @Westminster - I have never considered tiling the bulkhead either, there’s just something about the layout, the way the splash wraps up the wall all ready and the subtle tiles that makes me think this time it MIGHT be ok.. I’m going to risk it, and I’ll tell you ya told me so afterwards lol

You were also right on the wall colour I think, it’s just too much in lexicon full and need to go light.. do you have a regular choice for nice white walls? Stay lexicon but go Qtr?

Sparky arrives Tuesday, putting in 14 downlights, 4x fans, new wiring from circuit breaker, cost around $1500. I’m hoping the downlights light the room up enough for the lexicon to stay, otherwise I’ll repaint the place.

Next choice, carpets.. I’m thinking a mid/dark Grey

7. Westminster

See how it goes after the sparky comes. Talk to him about the choice of globes - a warm white or a day white but definitely not a cool white. If it's still no good then Lexicon Quarter will be easy - might only need one coat.

I've done tiling up to ceiling with a canopy rangehood but not the bulkhead. I'm kind of curious what it will look like but I'm 75% sure it's a no go for me :)

I would go mid grey for the carpet. The dark might make it seem smaller.

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

What do you call light weight gyprock that's been tiled over?

A Bulkhead.

Sorry @Codie couldn't resist:D

Codie likes this.
  9. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Grouting finished today, took me 2hrs to install the wall hung vanity but looks amazing. Bloody heavy so ended up building a frame with $16 of timber, diamond drilled the holes & used a couple dynabolts.. it ain’t going anywhere.

@Westminster bulkhead tiled as well, I’m so glad I went with it, photos don’t do it justice but it actually brings the kitchen together nicely!

also replacing all switches and sockets with Iconic Clipsals If I haven’t All ready mentioned, $280 worth for the entire place from ideal lighting east Brisbane. They look sleek and hey they use em on the block’

Attached Files:

samiam, willy1111, Sackie and 2 others like this.
  10. Westminster

I will admit, I don't hate it but I'm not sure about it. And that could simply be because I've never seen it before and it's just not "normal" :) It certainly doesn't look as bad as I thought it might be :)

I think I would have increased the height of the overheads so that a minimal bulkhead was needed but that's not always possible.

That vanity is great. Is it a Highgrove one?

I'm going switchplate shopping this week, I'll check those ones out.

11. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

I agree, I would have lifted the overheads had I been replacing the carcus but due to just Re-facing it was basically the only option. Yes Vanity is Highgrove, both bathrooms have the same.

I looked at beacon, illusion, Bunnings and Ideal lighting.

illusion lighting had some nice ones but were $84 a plate alone.. Ideal lighting had a few ranges in the iconic and were by far the best IMO - have a look on here Light Switches with Modern, Timeless and Futuristic Looks - Clipsal by Schneider Electric

Attached Files:

12. Westminster

Ah yes I forgot you just redid the doors. You work with what you have :)

Thanks for the link.

13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Codie I actually like that bulkhead tiled tbh. I think it works well.

Also using those Clipsal iconic but in black and white on my Brissy one. They look great.

Last edited: 23rd Oct, 2019
    Codie and Archaon like this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

How much are the Clipsal light and power switches compared to basic ones? Does anybody know?

15. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

What are you going to do with the cornice that butts into them tiles?

ChrisP73 likes this.
  16. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

the double gang wall sockets cost me about $12.75 each and I believe the double light switches were about the same. Fan switches $14, fan controllers $64 (if installing new fans)

Cheap ones from Bunnings will actually cost you more.

wylie likes this.
  17. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

I’m going to cut it back and then run a new cornice

Optimus likes this.
  18. Westminster

I just had a thought - quite a crazy one - almost as crazy as tiling a bulkhead :p

Anyway for kids playing along at home and future renovations if you are just replacing doors and you want a more symmetrical look you can put on a door which is taller than the cupboard behind it. I've done it the opposite way before to conceal drying rails so I don't see why it can't go the opposite way. Sometimes a door which is 100mm taller will completely change the ratios and make the room feel taller etc

Archaon and Optimus like this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Omg funny you say this as I was playing with that very idea just a few hours ago!

Archaon and Westminster like this.
  20. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Damn I absolutely should have gone with that!! What a good idea. Il have to consider that for next time. I plan to go again soon after this one and actually enjoy doing a unit to a reasonable spec

Westminster likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia