2 bed apartment renovation

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Codie, 17th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Thought I’d start a thread from start to finish of a renovation I’m undertaking for the interest of others. This is a live in project with some DIY where I can to save $$ Total expected cost $33k and completed in 8-12 weeks- will update with costs as I go. Feel free to ask questions :)

Scope of works
    LOUNGE/DINING
    New tile flooring throughout
    Downlights
    Paint

MAIN BATHROOM & SEPERATE ENSUITE
    Full gut & Re sheet.
    Remove bath for walk in showers, in both.
    Floor to ceiling tiles in both, full rooms
    New Vanitys, mirrors, taps, toilets.
    Basically nothing will be reused. Everything brand new
    Downlights and pendants

KITCHEN
    All new appliances, deciding on Bosch or Fisher & pikyl, oven, range, cooktop and dishwasher
    layout of kitchen being slightly altered to remove L shape island, opening the kitchen into a U shape and giving more space, some custom cabinetry but mostly using existing carcus and replacing all doors with 2pak "shaker or Hampton" style doors, with gold handles.
    20mm Snow white stone throughout with white Franke undermount sink, gold tapware again.
    hinges will be reused, draw runners new.
    Tile splashback
    Downlights

BEDROOMS
    Paint and new Carpet throughout.
    Downlights

Attached Files:

willy1111 and Shahin_Afarin like this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Sounds great except or the gold bit. Do you mean brass? Please put a bulkhead in the kitchen above the cabinetry

You'll take the cornice off in the bathroom and put back on packed out so that tile can butt up to it?

Travelbug likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Codie I guess you're going for the Hampton inspired look. My pet hate... :oops:I'm a modern/contemporary snob.

I'm sure it'll look great. You sourcing all the materials yourself? Highgrove have some great stuff. I'd go non custom vanities to save.

Just remembered, today I bought a heap of stuff from Beacon lighting currently having a big sale. They are applying an extra 10% off from their already reduced prices last week. It only last till the end of the week and then I think the reduction gets less. So if you are ready to buy your lighting it may be worth doing it now. The store manager Josh is fantastic to deal with in their flagship Fortitude Valley store.Beacon Lighting Fortitude Valley

Unless he wants to go square set..

Last edited: 18th Sep, 2019
  4. Silverghost

Silverghost Well-Known Member

I would go Bosch rather than Fisher and Paykel appliances based on reliability.

Damo93, balwoges, Codie and 1 other person like this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You could also consider Ikea for appliances. You get good brands with no names showing and a five year warranty.

The majority of IKEA appliances are made by the Whirlpool Corporation. For the most part, IKEA's appliance models are low-end Whirlpool, Amana, and Maytag appliances with the logos and insignias removed.

Lizzie and Dan Wood like this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

An IKEA reno I did I avoided using their appliances for the simple reason on resale, ppl like to look for the good recognisable brands. Looks better to have a Bosch set imho. Also if ppl can't find brands, the first thing they think is its a cheapie job.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I guess there is a lot of snobbery involved in appliances. We've chosen Bosch for that "snob value" for future sales (it has a certain cache without being stupidly expensive), but at one point we were going to put induction in (when gas was causing us grief). I specified Ikea to save hundreds of dollars per cooktop (multiple kitchens).

A developer friend uses a particular brand in his developments because it is considered high end, but he didn't use it in his own house because he doesn't think much of it. It sells kitchens, but he thinks this high end brand actually isn't much good.

I guess you make a commercial decision on what works best for your particular build. My plan was to put in an Ikea cooktop for long term renting and before selling, swap it out for a brand and sell with all appliances matching.

Sackie and Codie like this.
  8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Shhhh!! Don't tell him. I want to rent the place and switch over to brass ones while on a short lease :D:D:D:D:D

The Y-man

Damo93, samiam, Dan Wood and 2 others like this.
  9. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

@Westminster sorry yes I did mean brushed brass :) and cornice is being removed, tiling right to the ceiling, saving any muck around with square set etc.

Cheers, I will weigh up that option today

thanks mate, I use beacon as well so il go see josh early next week and grab everything needed, il mention you recommended him.. Yes Highgrove is my spot haha I see Cameron at east Brisbane store, always does me a good deal. Just bought everything actually, see invoice...

this is all fixtures and fittings for both bathrooms and kitchen, vanitys, shower glass, stone, etc. Bloody good I think!
    $4598.36

@Sackie @wylie regarding the appliances yes that was my exact thoughts, I wanted a "brand" that doesn't cost an arm and a leg but that people will recognise when it comes to resale or in the eyes of the valuer for that matter. i know when im looking at someones place, the first sign of no brand or "chef" or omega etc, whilst nothing wrong with the function, it does automatically hurt the perceived value of the place, The cost difference is really minimal. I will buy this stuff today and update!

Attached Files:

Last edited: 18th Sep, 2019
  10. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Another reason why I need to become premium, every time I screw up a post and get the P*** taken out of me I cant edit it haha - Yes i am getting "BRUSHED BRASS" everyone

Damo93, Propin and Westminster like this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Just $9.90 a month and you also get to have a signature and no ads.....

Dan Wood and Codie like this.
  12. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Tile choices, I have been thinking about this for awhile and am about to choose between the 2,

Im using a mixture of 6x3 white matts on the bulk of the walls, the chevron 800x300 tile as the feature walls, IE shower walls, and my only undecided tile is what I use on the floor.

Torn between a 60x60 Terrazzo grey or Stari light grey Lappato in either 1200x600 or 600x600

You can see from the inspo photo behind the vanity this is the sort of look I'm going for, Grey with brushed gold. Looks industrial/modern but still expensive imo

Attached Files:

13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of terrazzo but for the theme your going for it may work well and also contrast the walls.

14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

For a moment I thought you were the one who stole the gold dunny to put in your reno.

Thieves snatch $1.8m golden toilet from Blenheim Palace

The Y-man

15. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Ok Tiles picked

Walls 60x30 recitified matt white $16sqm
    Floors 1200x600 Stari light greys $48sqm
    Feature wall 800x300 chevron grey $61sqm
    Oak timber tiles 1200x200 $35sqm
    Total $3890

Attached Files:

16. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Decided to stay away from them in the end, I think all though It can look awesome, its quite specific and wont appeal to the masses. the 1200x600 I chose have a nice concrete character to them whilst still looking modern, the size gives an expensive feel.

Angel likes this.
  17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Is 1200 x 600 going to work in the bathroom with drainage fall? I love the tile and think it's much better than terrazo for the style you are going. White matt on the wall is a good choice too. DO you have a photo of the chevron? I love chevron tiles.

Is the timber tile going in the living areas? I'm guessing you've checked your strata conditions and can have tile?

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

The concrete look one you had will look great too. Myf has a good point, if it'll work with the drainage fall.

Also do you have the bylaws agreed and all written up for the tiled flooring and especially the waterproofing. Strata are usually quite strict.

19. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Yes I made sure I rang the tiler this morning as I was picking them, he's going to use a smart waste apparently that will help with the fall, we are screeding the entire floor so I'm not sure if that helps him as he gets a longer run up?

Yes here's a picture of the chevrons up against the floor tile, I love the contrast whilst still picking up on some of the greys throughout both tiles, looks like they fit together well.

Yes I have checked with strata, im the chairman and really the only one who participates in meetings so was fairly straight forward :) its also only a 5 unit walk up single level, garages underneath so noise is not a huge factor.

Quote from tiler, had 3x - all around the $9 - $10k mark, this guy was recommended by a friend who has used him and I had a chance to inspect the work, could not fault it - was some of the best I've ever seen.

$9340 in total.

Attached Files:

Westminster likes this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Love the Oliver wall vanity you chose.