1st time investor, Melbourne

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DJS, 10th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DJS

DJS Member

Hi all,

Long time lurker and daily reader of the site - it's a wonderful community of talented people on this forum - look forward to getting to know everyone and contribute over time.

I'm a project/development manager working on large CBD projects (towers) in Melbourne, originally starting down an architectural path but now client side delivery management. In short, keeping the projects ticking along and get to hang around on big project all day - good times. I also help a few smaller projects manage their renovations and the like but it's not something I take too seriously, more so enjoy the process and helping things come together.

For fun my vice is motorbikes. Give me a 70s era 4cylinder, a workshop, some good music and a I'm content. Also travel a lot and tend to explore the Melbourne countryside when time permits - reasonably new addition to the land of AFL, ex Brisbane.

Investment journey wise I'm yet to begin but about ready to start. Decided to travel rather than save for property, finally ready to take the plunge. Very keen to learn about more hands-on approaches rather than buy/hold. Given my background, partner an architect and entire social/family social in property in some way, it's almost mandatory. Looking forward to some guidance to get started in the coming months and putting together a bit of a game plan - the classic "where to start" is proving to be a challenge!

Anyhow, look forward to getting to know some people here. If you're in the city and would like a coffee drop me a message!

Cheers!
    DJS

Jimmy_05 and MTR like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Welcome to PC.
    Just keep searching and reading if you like what you read keep digging.

Me thinks with your background developing is the path that may work for you, check out these posts. You could always start with smaller projects ie land and house packages or buy properties where you can do a simple build at rear.
    Read posts by @sash, @melbournian (land and house packages, Melb)

First development site journey - Victoria

4 Townhouses development - Melbourne

4 Townhouse Project finance

All the best

MTR:)

3. DJS

DJS Member

Thanks MTR :). Regularly follow your posts so appreciate the welcome.

I've read both of those threads (and many more!) top to bottom, some great learnings. Absolutely the development path is our preferred but the reality is the capital outlay for the soft and/or holding costs if going it alone might prevent us from going for a full development (as much as we would love to). First thus may be a couple of buy/reno projects initially to provide the capital to take on our own projects - unsure.

Still quite unsure on where to 'start' but at the very least have a good handle on our financial position/options (with help from some well known faces on this forum actually). From here, read, learn, talk and try to find a landing on a clear strategy in the coming month with a view to make a move Jan/Feb.

Cheers!
    DJS

4. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard DJS

With your background it won't be long before you'll be asked for advice!!!

5. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

6. Massy

Massy Member

Hello DJS
    I think you've got a great background to kickstart a project :) Best of luck.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.