1st time buying shares

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Des, 14th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. timetoact

timetoact Well-Known Member

Picking stocks and beating the index in downturns is very, very different to normal markets. There is no way I could beat the index in normal markets. That said, my largest holding is CSL which has crushed the index for a while now.

Back to downturns.
    If you choose blue chip companies that have been oversold much more than the index, that have large cash holdings (so they don't go broke) you will likely beat the index.
    I posted this previously; if the index is down 50% and you buy a company (or index fund) which is down 50%, return to peak is 200%.
    If you buy a company that is down 80%, return to peak is 500%.

But this comes with risk. So you need to be comfortable with that. Look at WPL, MCG
    I'm not advocating buying them now. DYOR.

As for brokerage, I never worry about that, it is a small cost and I don't day trade so it is merely a cost of investing.

Good luck

Des and Perthguy like this.
  2. Skydome

Skydome Well-Known Member

Instead of creating a new thread i'll ask here but how exactly do shares effect centerlink pensions?

With the market turmoil atm i'm thinking of maybe dipping my feet in and unloading a grand on shares from my loan redraw and just see how it goes.

Before I do that i honestly have no idea how it might effect the pension or if that's any possible way i could determine how it may effect pension ?

It's only the start of the turmoil so i think what i should do is try and find out how it may effect pension payments whilst i wait for a bit to see what the market does in the coming months but i just can't find any usable information with how it is calculated or how it might effect pension payments and etc short of just doing it and hoping for the best.

3. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

Shares will be listed as an asset.
    I believe singles or couples will have an asset limit - before pension is affected.

4. Skydome

Skydome Well-Known Member

in searching the best i can find is the deeming rate of 1 percent on upto 51,800 for a single. How would shares be on this deeming rate or something different?

If so what do they mean when they say 1 percent of upto 51k? Does that mean everything 51k and under attracts a 1 percent deeming rate and how would effect pension payments ?

Or am I looking at something completely different to what i should?

Confusing lol.

5. luckyP

luckyP Well-Known Member

You just need to fill out the W-8BEN re us tax every 3 years.

Des likes this.
  6. Des

Des Well-Known Member

thanks

7. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

This is wrong on so many levels. Neither Cooper or Paradise are high performance fund managers. He only wants to invest 2K, high performance fund managers have a minimum of at least $100 - 200k or more investment. IRR is a complicated metric not necessary for a newbie with a small amount of cash . Des VAS should be fine as good as any thing or Umax if you want down side protection for a small clip on the upside, which you can still participate in. I was also scoffed at for suggesting Umax to a conservative investor and told it was a terrible investment but has recently out performed VAS and the index. Look at Comsec Pocket to get low cost DCA and ample diversity,

Silverson likes this.
  8. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Who’s a high performer then?