1st Smoke Detector Inspections now its Safety Report Recommendation's

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Chilliblue, 18th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

What a load of BS. safety has gone way to far now! Tenants will need an approved ass wiper on standby next!
    Darwinism needs to take it's natural run, there are enough half wits being spoon fed in construction, it's got to the point where these oxygen theives are coming out of uni making up this rubbish to create jobs for themselves.

I've come across some good safety folk in 10 years of construction work but they are becoming outnumbered. And the new era are all in the same bucket as the ecoterrorits, can read a book but can't tie their shoe laces!

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

@NeilW , you really just need to do your own "risk assessment". If your property is new or you have had a recent B&P inspection done that covered health and safety against building codes / common sense then you will largely be okay. That will cover significant risks that should have been foreseen.

If however your property is old, then you may want to also consider periodic inspections of areas of concern.

Not knowing the age of your property or how recently you have had any form of qualified inspection done, one approach might be:
    1. Have a detailed B&P/safety inspection done by someone suitably qualified.
    2. Address any safety concerns in the report that warrant immediate rectification.
    3. Periodically monitor any identified issues that could further deteriorate over time.

That was the approach I took when I had a B&P done on recently buying a 50 year old property in QLD. Significant issues were highlighted in the report. I had these fixed. There were gas and electrical safety issues, a rotting rear step and a significant trip hazard in the middle of an open concrete area at the side of the house.

The build-under that was done on my QLD highset was not ideal, increasing termite risk. This I will have monitored at periodic intervals.

As a landlord, you do have a duty of care - particularly for "foreseen" hazards ( or that someone appropriately qualified would have "foreseen" ). A Property Manager is not going to have the appropriate qualifications to identify many types of hazards, only the obvious ones.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think the difference between now and 40 years ago was that the risks of owning a rental property were the same but these days it is much easier to find a "no win no fee" lawyer who is prepared to "give it a go".

And having been in (supposedly) a superior position and still "lost", let me tell you that to be cavalier and think "they don't have a chance" is putting your head in the sand.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Gone are the days of the decent people catching a break

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia