WA 1st IP but where to go?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by LastKey, 16th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LastKey

LastKey Active Member

With my current circumstances, rentvesting is the only option I have to enter into RE. Currently living in inner West of Sydney. Below are some of the numbers:
    • 145K income (sole income earner, partner not working)
    • 150k deposit
    • Max borrowing capacity 600-670k, depending on if I want to take LMI or not.
    I've been reading the forum actively since I joined a few weeks back. So reading through forums, I see that Perth is the market that keeps coming up for affordability and potential growth. Here are my questions for advice and suggestions:

1- @sash mentioned Darwin as another horse in the race, but some discussion here seems to show that Darwin may be a risky endeavour for me being the first IP. IP in Darwin ? [NT]
    What other options do I have?

2- If I buy in Perth, what is the possible growth timeline you see? The aim is to gauge when I can go for the next IP.

3- If I go for a 400~450K property in Perth, my leverage would be small though it won't stretch my finance and keep me safe. So stretch a bit or not?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Whats the plan for ppor?

3. LastKey

LastKey Active Member

With my current limit, I can't buy anywhere I prefer or need. So for now I've delayed this PPOR plan for 8~10 years. Personally, I prefer the freedom renting provides without having the liability of a home with a mortgage.

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

While buying IPs while renting has its advantages especially if you are moving around for work, note that when you have kids or are looking for schools, it's a different mindset. Also the advantage of PPOR is that it's generally CGT exempt (though interest is not deductible).

5. LastKey

LastKey Active Member

Yes, I have thought about these factors as schooling is a factor for me. Though my work is 100% WFH and not restricted to any specific city in Australia. But there are other lifestyle factors that have created a bit of a lockin effect for me.

6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Ya can't go wlong with Perth ATM.

In Darwin looks very promising.... just don't go swimming in any water holes or rivers. ;)

LastKey likes this.
  7. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Perth is well covered. Threads to get you started.
    Perth market 2022 and other years
    Perth post a bargain various years
    Perth Dummies guide
    Perth at given price points eg $500k
    Threads with Rockingham in title
    Threads tagged WA
    etc etc

Lower price points are very competitive, going up say $100k culls a lot of first home buyers.

There is no crystal ball. Depending what happens in the world. Every indication is that currently Perth will continue to rise for a number of years.

Last edited: 16th May, 2022
    Citycat88 and LastKey like this.
  8. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

9. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

What's your cash flow situation? What kind of yields do you need?

Brisbane has been running hot, followed by Adelaide. Perth has been hot in some parts, other parts are waking up so a lot of opportunity there.

Regional QLD and regional SA also have great opportunities but I'm not sure if you're up for it on your first purchase.

10. LastKey

LastKey Active Member

@AndyPandy If I understand correctly, Brisbane being hot means that the time to purchase in it is pretty much up now. For regional areas, I can have a look but as 1st IP it might be a risky bet?
    As for cash flow, my aim is capital growth. My current circumstances allow me to have a negative gearing property.

11. LastKey

LastKey Active Member

@Squirrell One word!

Squirrell likes this.
  12. LastKey

LastKey Active Member

@Shogun What are these lower price points, with lots of competition?

13. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

14. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Perth

Cliff

LastKey likes this.
  15. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

If perth
    6-650k budget is quiet good
    if its just pure IP with ease and looking for CG
    Northern beach suburbs should do well
    Modern (upto 20-30yrs) 4/2/2 should also get decent yield too
    Guess just need balance distance to beach/freeway/cbd within your price range

South - maybe closer to freo - though whats available in budget are usually older suburbs so might have higher maintenance and lower yield

On the cheaper side at the low end would personally avoid suburbs that have recently boomed (feel like its based on rental yield booms and thats pretty much been pushed to the max)

LastKey likes this.
  16. LastKey

LastKey Active Member

That's a good pointer for me to start the search. Thanks

17. LastKey

LastKey Active Member

@gach2 Does it make sense to hire a BA to find a good place as I'm new to RE plus have no idea about Perth as that's what I am thinking to do. Or this is doable for me after research and studying?

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Man of few words. :)

LastKey likes this.
  19. 27649

27649 Well-Known Member

Regional Queensland has some good yields and opportunities for that price point.

20. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

We’ve always dine our own research , but we rarely buy investment properties when the market is hot . Whenever we’ve bought interstate ( except on one occasion ) , the markets been quiet so we’ve been able to take our time , get to know the area , check out a range of places , make low offers and take our time .

the other time was early last year when we bought a block of land in a place we’ve been to and have been watching for around five years . I realised the market was just taking off , and I wanted a block of land on a waterfront street . Saw one and offered asking price .

Perth is gathering momentum at the moment and we made the decision that but the time we knew what we wanted , the market would have moved more that a BA agents fee .

We used Ray Chua and each week we were given a short list of potential properties that were appropriate . We made some offers in the first two weeks but missed out . Third week they showed one that we felt was exactly what we wanted . Rather than wait for the open house , Ray had a look at it the next day ( along with several other interested people ) . He did a video walk through which basically confirmed that it was what we thought it was ( probably better than we thought it would be ) and we submitted an offer .

Properties seemed to be listed on wed , and where we were looking , the good options were selling before the first inspection on the weekend .

makes it very hard to get to know the market , but the good BA’s know agents and generally have a good relationship with them so it smooths the process.

we’ve bought in NSW , Queensland and Tassie and know enough to buy in them , but WA does things slightly differently .

first IP in WA . Unless you’re a local or have lots of time , I’d be using a BA .

cliff

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.