1970s home WA - Water damage/missing grout - help

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by 2086, 13th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 2086

2086 Active Member

Hi guys, I got the below quote from my Property Manager because the recent inspection revealed water damage in the bathroom. This looks like a serious problem and with my lack of experience I don't see any way of avoiding this but I also don't see they are able to fix issues that are behind tiles causing damage to the adjoining wall which they said is happening. I have absolutely no idea if this is a fair quote for this work, also looking for any info that may be helpful. At this sort of price would it better to do some sort of small reno? Any help appreciated...

Upon inspection of the site it was found that there was significant deterioration of the grout in the main perimeter joint of the shower recess, with areas where it was completely missing. The grout around the waste was missing in some areas and the floor grout was deteriorated and porous. There was a section of floor tiles that were hollow underneath. The wall tiles are butt jointed in many areas and the wall grout is deteriorated and missing in parts. Water was detected beneath the floor and wall tiles, up to 5 tiles high on both walls. Water is being absorbed behind the tiles and into the surrounding area, causing damage to the adjoining walls.
    Standard Megasealed Perimeter + Megagrip Floor - Main Shower $‎695.00
    Standard Megaflex Plastic Bath Service - Main Shower - Same Day As Shower Service $‎195.00 QUOTE TOTAL $890.0

Attached Files:

2. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

I used the same method for the same simptoms on one of mine. Missing tiles and grout. Think mine was around 900 for shower and bathtub. Pretty sure it was megasealed to. No problems since 2012.

3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Can't see the quote? What are they proposing to do? I'd re-tile.
    Edit: oh I see it now... sorry
    Like the tiles but I'd re-tile.

4. 2086

2086 Active Member

So do the seal and re-tile?

5. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Either spend the money and re-tile it all properly, or go with the sealing above to water proof it like new until your ready to renovate/replace/demo.

6. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Personally I believe that the gap between the bath and tile would suit silicone better than re-grouting.
    Very common problem in WA - cant see any other option but to pay the money for the quote above or rip the tiles off - waterproof and re tile.
    It would also pay to let the wall in the surrounding room dry out totally before trying to fix.

7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Get another quote and compare.

At least it's tax deductable.

These sort of jobs I DIY and save heaps but I like getting my hands dirty . I'm a grout man!

Perthguy likes this.
  8. kitdoctor

kitdoctor Well-Known Member

I agree, usually silicone would be used between the edge of bath and a tiled wall, particularly if the bathtub's edge is integrated into the tiled wall (like your photo) and was plastic and hence flexs.

9. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Sounds like all your undertile water proofing has failed. I don't know how effective the proposed fix will be however it's far cheaper than stripping out the bathroom and re-doing it.

Just to get a waterproofer in after demo would cost $500+ and then a days work for a tiler doing the wall and floor will be close to $1000 in labour alone. Add tiles, new villa board etc etc and the $890 is looking like a great option.

10. Seal

Seal Well-Known Member

@HD_ACE was your shower leaking? And is it still going well with megaseal? And was this done in Brisbane or somewhere else (different reports on different locations with megaseal onproduct review).

11. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Yes the wall on other side showed signs of moisture. Mine had were very small tiles which a few were missing. Yes no problems so far. Geez thats 5 yrs ago already. It is in Perth WA.

Seal likes this.