1960s block of flats .. How can we improve them so they arent vacant. furnished or unfurnished ?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by justine77, 3rd Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

i've started a new thread that is more about how can we improve these flats to rent them out , rather than about how to know what an property manager should be doing.

1960s block of flats in top location has vacant apartments that need repairs to them so they dont stay vacant as a co uple are vacant and have been despite handing them over to an agent to manage a few months ago.

i know basics are things like clean, paint , carpet, lights doors door handles.

then there are specific repairs or anything broken, missing drawer, door knobs, broken tile hole filled, holes in door filled,

and unsure how to make the bathroom grout clean if a mould cleaner will work or if there is another way otherwise, i guess i could try mould cleaner sprays and call bunnings and ask other ways to make the grout look clean between tiles.

the apartments are small and need to be cleaned repaired painted fixed up fast and rented and its frustratinga nd sad for me to see that
    the relative is not able to manage them anymore
    they are in such a bad state
    the manager isnt cleaning painting repairing and renting them out fast

what are somet hings that would really help these rent out better
    eg outside appearance, tidy up , cleaning, gardening, pressure clean , mark car spots, make apartments look decent
    and i'm unsure if renting them as furnished, helps or hindersas the furniture is a bit crappy.

relatives used to clean paint repair and rent them out fast on gumtree to backpackers and it mostly worked over the last years.
    agent doesnt seem to be renting them out and they are staying empty. maybe theyp dont use gumtree and gumtree is where backpackers come who will take them

I'm unsure waht to make of all this or how to get them rented or how to know what the manager is doing and when.

2. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Hey @justine77, would you mind posting a few photos of the units so we can make some recommendations?

Joynz likes this.
  3. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Jus, it's probably not the manager's job to clean/paint/repair them. That would be the owner's job.

And sorry to hear that your relative is not able to "manage" them anymore, which doesnt sound like it's been a priority, due to their other issues.

So that leaves it, in context, your job.

Spend some money and do paint and carpet, and maybe regrout the shower and/or bathroom.

And fix up any damaged stuff.

It will come up looking great. Charge it to the owner so that you don't have "expenses issues" down the track, and it should work out nice.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

As said, the PM will only act on instructions from the owner. They can engage cleaners, painters, or any other trades.

Does the owner have money available for improving the units?

If so, I would suggest renovating the units one at a time as they become vacant.

If not, it may be a good idea to sell before the units deteriorate further.
    Marg

Tom Rivera likes this.