17159 Albion St, Detroit

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by GentleChief, 10th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Not a single misrepresentation at my end mate. That's all you. Every last bit of it. Post after post . You claimed the property that you posted on the thread which you started would pay itself off in 3 years and a bit. No one else did that. You did. Don't you dare try and make out that I misrepresented anything. The extent of my involvement in this misrepresentation was catching you in a lie and calling you out.

Finally. Except that you don't get a credit for the Michigan State Tax - you only get a credit for the Federal Tax. So you pay your 32.5% here or your 37% here or your 45% here , PLUS 4.25% to Michigan . That means you are paying an effective rate of 36.75%, 41.25% or 49.25% in taxes. It's irrelevant whether you paid 10% or 20% or 30% in the US, and the balance here, or whether you paid 0% there and the balance here . You'll still pay 36.75%, 41.25% or 49.25% on the Gross profits- between the two countries and the two tax collection agencies.

Last edited: 2nd Oct, 2018
    Ouchmyknees likes this.
  2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

DETROIT (Reuters) - Buying a property in Detroit a few years ago seemed like a steal for overseas investors – as little as a few thousand dollars would get them a house in a city that had hit rock bottom and could only see better times.

Yet the promise turned into a nightmare for many and stories of properties vandalized, ransacked, left untended and un-rentable have sapped the interest from overseas buyers, real estate brokers say.

Scams, ignorance burn foreign buyers of Detroit properties

3. euro73

At 32.5% Australian Marginal Tax Rate + 4.25 Michigan state tax rate you’re losing 36.75% of the $4850 - leaving $3067.62 . That’s a net return of 9.3% on 33k

At 37% MTR + 4.25% state , 41.25% tax leaves $2849.37 - 8.63% net return on 33k

At 45% MTR + 4.25% state, 49.25% is lost to taxes , leaving $2461.38 7.46% net return on 33k

These are impressive returns, but however you cut it this thing isn't being repaid in 3 years and some change .

And this is assuming full tenancy - a big assumption when vacancy rates exceed 5%

And it’s also assuming no major repairs - an even bigger assumption in an extreme 4 season climate like Detroit’s , with old buildings like these .

I lived in Chicago for 3 years . I know what happens to houses in these climates . Especially basement plumbing and central heating systems

4. GentleChief

GentleChief Well-Known Member

Incorrect. ATO does give you a Credit for all payments to IRS as a Tax deduction.
    It does not distinguish between Fed tax or State tax.
    It is an expense item to you and ATO recognizes it.
    Check with a CPA qualified accountant.

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

First. How is the state tax calculated? How much is it for this property?

Second. I think that there's a difference between tax deduction and tax credit?

So let's say I get $10,000 in income from a property in the US. I spend $3,000 on the property, and I pay $1,000 in tax in the US. I additionally pay $1,500 in City and state taxes.

So in Australia I declare $10,000 in income, but $4,500 in deductions. So the taxable income is $5,500. The city and state taxes reduce the taxable income.
    Edit: the $4,500 in deductions does NOT include US tax paid at this stage

But then the ATO calculates the tax I'm going to pay. Let's say that on my income my tax liability is $20,000. It then gives me credit for the federal tax of $1,000, so my tax liability is $19,000.

State and city taxes reduce my taxable income, but they reduce my tax according to my marginal rate. Federal tax reduces my tax paid here dollar for dollar.

Tax Credit

Last edited: 1st Oct, 2018
    qak likes this.
  6. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

In your example, did you mean to say $10,000 of income, and $5,500 of expenses, so net (taxable) income is $4,500. I am assuming that any taxes in US would naturally come off gross income for the purposes of determining assessable income in OZ. You then determine OZ tax on the assessable income, and then add back any tax credits you get from tax already paid in US.

Or am I also missing something?

7. geoffw

No. I've added an edit to clarify.

The $1,000 in US taxes is not a deductible expense which reduces the taxable income. It is a tax credit which reduces the tax payable.

If my marginal rate was 30% then the $4,500 deductible expenses would reduce my tax by $1,350.

The $1,000 US tax paid would reduce my tax by $1,000.

8. Harry30

Got it. Yep, not all expenses are tax deductible. Thanks Geoff.

geoffw likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What I really find amusing about this thread......is...…. wait for it.... Roll Drum...….

With Australian property, cash flow returns/yields are always calculated on GROSS returns.... ??? How does this work??? it does not in my books.....

Why because it pumps up the numbers but no where close to the actual returns, money in your pocket. .....my pet hate.

mmmm, interesting how this one works. Throwing the cat amongst the pigeons....

how are gross returns going with product in Australia?????...… anywhere close to the net returns in US...… ME THINKS NOT.... considering average yields in Australia today are around 3-4% gross

MTR:)

SOULFLY3 likes this.
  10. geoffw

A big part of this is because most people here are aware of what expenses are incurred there, and how the tax works. Judging by responses to this thread, there's a lot of lack of knowledge about how tax works in regard to overseas property, especially in a country with a mutual tax agreement.

I've already said that returns are good there. I have no argument with that. However, the initial post in this thread stated that the property would be paid off in just over three years, which is nowhere near the actual figure.

Because the net returns are so good, there's no reason to exaggerate the benefits or not to show real-world costs.

The old forum had a "Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware)" section. It stated
    Just because this is a US deal doesn't mean that we shouldn't ask questions about what it would cost.

Ouchmyknees and wylie like this.
  11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't matter whether we talk in gross or net yield, as long as it is stated up front. I don't bother with yield, because our aim is not relying on yield.

12. Harry30

This thread would really benefit from a comprehensive worked example (in excel) of a property purchased in Detroit by an Australian resident showing all cash flows.

SOULFLY3, BPhil, Tambun and 3 others like this.
  13. euro73

The "Double Taxation Taxes On Income Convention Between The Unites States Of America And Australia " says that the relief exists for Federal Tax only
    Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 12.15.22 pm.png

The ATO's website specifically states that local and state taxes are not eligible for offsets in Australia

Guide to foreign income tax offset rules 2018

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 12.36.10 pm.png

Either way, the state tax is only 4.25% of the equation... so even if I gave you that as a concession, you have still misled readers for months about the true amount of net income these properties generate. That is not up for debate

qak likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its a forum, dig deeper, forums are just that.

no one has any obligation to share anything, its choice. I started a thread... way back...…"Too Lazy to become Rich"..... what I mean about digging deeper, not referring to anyone in particular.... If investors are hungry for more info then work it.

Last time I shared my development numbers on Thomastown, Melbourne, I was trolled, forums are a double edged sword. Have no control on how the person behind the keyboard may react.... the good, bad and ugly of forums.

I get lots of pms and have helped many investors on this forum that is my choice.

From my experience In Oz net returns are rarely stated upfront.... gross BTW is meaningless because you don't have the real numbers, in fact sometimes they use depreciation to get the numbers to work....hikes.

Many investors would not get this, in particular newbies. Its a marketing tool, that simple.. to sell product and it works well.

Investors get sucked into gross yields every day of the week. Mind you they wont be attractive in Oz today.

There should be a caveat buyer beware....absolutely.....

I started a thread...…."what they don't tell you on forums"....

SOULFLY3 and GentleChief like this.
  15. geoffw

Please, don't get me wrong.

I'm genuinely interested to know the numbers. I'd like to know if this is something my SMSF can get into.

This is a property investment forum, and I think it's only fair that people can ask questions on the figures.

The original post made a statement about how long it would take to repay the loan, which was unintentionally misleading.

Some of the questions have been cleared up, but I have asked previously about state taxes. That hasn't been cleared up. I'd like to know how much they are, and how they are calculated.

There is also some confusion about tax deductions vs tax credits.

BTW, I have a small commercial property which was attractive to me for very similar reasons. It showed 10% net returns on a low investment (lower returns and a higher investment than the property in this thread). I verified the returns based on a 90% occupancy. The property has been a millstone ever since. Maintenance and vacancy have both been high- zero per cent occupancy for 18 months. The steady tenant who moved in has gone bankrupt.

So please forgive me for asking questions. I'm only looking for a clearer picture. I'm not trying to attack. Really.

16. GentleChief

Anyways, "Post-Tax" income is a figment imho.
    Tax rulings change all the time. With every government change.
    We Australians were always made to believe that making Losses upfront was good (Pre-Tax). But Post Tax you would make the money.
    And that was good.
    Times have changed now. Capital Gains stagnate.
    And investors holding an asset that drains funds from their employment income does not allow us to retire, does it?

Unfortunately, people who retired with Pre Tax losses found their way back to employment agencies, when they realise unknowingly, that they were caught up with the fad that it is "Okay to lose money upfront".
    Because you will make it back at Tax time!
    One can NOT retire with income the ATO promises to credit you back.
    Rulings Change every 5 years. Or even lesser.

Much like Living on Equity strategy (LOE strategy) which was the rave of the day back in 2005s. I hoped to do that! Can anyone expect to draw down equity every 5 years now and live off that with banks changing rules from IO to P&I.
    Those days are long gone. What happened to those investors?

Make money upfront my friends. With rents.
    And Capital growth to boot.
    Pay your taxes,
    And don't expect a handout.
    Simple advise to retire free of hassles.

17. GentleChief

No Geoff, Please, we Love you. To be honest I followed you from Somersoft since early 2000s. You had the friendly green frog Logo in somersoft :) which is missing now! haha,

And your posts are thoughtful are very inciteful.
    And analytical.

If you wish, meet me in my home office in Sydney if you like, or a professional setting at my Norwest office. And you will get a fuller picture into our Detroit operations. And I will introduce this Northern suburbs based SMSF investor (with their permissions ofcourse) who have bought double-digit properties in Detroit with us. They are a fabulous couple. Even others I can introduce - several Aussie SMSFs too who have bought multiple homes, they can tell the REAL side of their story.

I kindly and humbly suggest that you also speak to your Aussie accountant, and get the whole picture. And I can put you onto our American accountant Mark Heisey of Dalon Tax services. He can guide you on the intricacies of a Trust structure/LLC structure etc from here.

Why just listen to Aussie based US investors, who find the going Great.

Someone will try and muddle a 4.75% State Tax figure and et al and throw us off guard and claim that that the numbers missed the mark by a little 40% bit!

:cool::rolleyes:

18. GentleChief

It was Price to Rent ratios.

Purchase price = 33,000
    Rent per annum = 10,800 (which is 900 per month)

That is the background story.

(As Bunnings says, if you find a better deal we will beat it by 10%)
    :cool:

19. Harry30

When I read this forum, I cannot but think that investing in Detroit has many advantages, particularly if you take a long term view, and believe that the general area will recover (which I do). I would say however that it is quite disconcerting when basic questions are not resolved. Does an OZ resident get a tax credit/offset for all US taxes or just Federal taxes? One person says yes, another person says no, and then it just goes round in circles. This may not be a big issue in itself, but it does leave doubts in people’s minds about whether other things have been overlooked. I understand the role of the investor is to make their own enquiries, but investors will seek help from companies and organisations that just know this stuff back to front and make the investors job that bit easier. I am not meaning to be critical, but I think it does no one any credit when questions like this cannot be answered in any definitive way.

geoffw likes this.
  20. GentleChief

Yes, and I say Yes emphatically. I have been an investor in US for 8 years now.
    Whatever you pay in the US (which is genuinely considered to be expenses for holding your rental property) is Tax deductible by ATO.

Don't take my word for it, check with your accountant, and he will be puzzled and say the same thing. Why should Federal taxes be deductible but not State taxes?

Check with your accountant. Mine is clear.
    ----

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.